A-Z Recipes

DIY gatorade? (Read 1181 times)

Jazz hands!

I'm getting to the point in my runs where I think I should be drinking something besides water after to replace electrolyte stuff--last week I spent an enjoyable few hours feeling kind of dizzy and nauseous after a 6.7 mile long run (I'm slow, so it took about 1:20). So this week I picked up some gatorade, went on a 7.25 mile long run, drank that along with tons of water afterwards, and feel pretty much fine. Here's the thing: I hate gatorade. It's expensive (especially if I'm apparently going to make drinking it a habit), I try to avoid HFCS, most flavors are awful, and they don't TELL you what flavor you're buying. "Cool wind in your face," not a flavor. "You're awesome you can do it!", also not a flavor. I've been operating on the assumption that yellow ones are citrus-y, but they're still kind of awful. Anyone got a DIY gatorade recipe? Can I just drink salt water? That's cheap and not worse than gatorade.
    run run run AHHHHHH run run run
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

FYI, lemon lime Gatorade powder is made with sugar instead of HFCS. Make lemonade. Add salt. That is all I do when I make this.

Jazz hands!

FYI, lemon lime Gatorade powder is made with sugar instead of HFCS. Make lemonade. Add salt. That is all I do when I make this.
        You're totally right--I have some powdered orange flavor right now (it's yuck, but it was free) and it's just sucrose. How much salt should I put in the lemonade to make it worthwhile? Any guidelines?
        run run run AHHHHHH run run run
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I just salt to taste. That is, until I can taste it and it does not taste good. Then I have too much. Wink Add back in some lemonade.
          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Water, maple syrup, splash of lemon, and sea salt. It's fantastic.
            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Faux Endurance Sports Drink 1/2 C. + 4 tsp. sugar 1/2 tsp. Morton Lite Salt 1/2 tsp. table salt 1 pkg. unsweetened "Kool-aid" mix (any flavor you like) Mix with 2 Q. water to make 64 oz. Each 8 oz serving has 56 Calories, 14 grams carbohydrate, 220 mg sodium and 85 mg potassium. Gatorade Endurance Formula (8 oz) has 50 Calories, 14 grams carbohydrate, 200 mg sodium, and 90 mg potassium. ~~~~~ A single serving is ~1TB prepared mix per 8oz. water. I've used it a couple of times and it's awesome.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay