A-Z Recipes

Quinoa and Potato Croquettes (Read 372 times)

Posted that I made these elsewhere and was asked for the recipe....thought it appropriate to post it here and link it:

1 large russet potato

1 cup cooked quinoa

1 small onion finely diced

2 TBSP vegetable oil

2 tsp paprika

1 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp dried oregano

2 garlic cloves minced

1/4 c chopped parsley

1 egg

1/3 c cottage cheese

salt 1 c fresh or dried bread crumbs

boil potato until tender, mash with fork and mix w/quinoa.  Saute onion in oil in over medium heat for 2 minutes, add spices and oregano---cook stirring frequently until onion is soft, about 8 minutes then add garlic and cook 1 more minute.  Add this to potato quinoa mixture along w/egg, parsley, cheese and salt to taste.  Work mixture together and divide and shape into 8 small ovals.  Press each croquette into bread crumbs.  Generously film nonstick skillet with oil and set over medium heat-when hot, add croquettes and cook on both sides until nicely browned.

DH accidentally made this with lentils the other day instead of quinoa (he didn't know the difference)...it was just as good...if not a little better!

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I meant to tell you that I made these and they were really good! I didn't have coriander so I left it out but past that I followed the recipe and really enjoyed them. When I make them again I think I will use a little less parsley and add red pepper flakes. I bet the lentils are very good with that. Cheffy posted a "meatball" recipe that used lentils that was really tasty so I can see how that would work!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

A Saucy Wench

I used to have a fabulous lentil meatloaf recipe.  I should find that again.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I used to have a fabulous lentil meatloaf recipe.  I should find that again.

Pls post if you do. I have 10lbs of lentils I should really do something with.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Yes Ennay...I love me some lentils!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

t_runner

I made them a little while ago without coriander also.  Delicious!  I think I'll try red pepper flakes also, they did seem to be asking for a bit of a kick (although maybe that was leaving the coriander out).

I have a veggie "meatloaf" recipe with lentils.  Not sure if it's fabulous.  It feels like it could use a few tweaks to be fabulous. For one - it always crumbles, I call it "Lentil and Mashed Lentil Crumble" instead of "Vegetarian Meatloaf".  Flavor is pretty good though, a little mild.  I always serve it with mashed sweet potatoes.

Vegetarian Meatloaf
                2 cups water
                1 teaspoon salt
                1 cup lentils
                1 small onion, diced
                1 cup quick-cooking oat
                3/4 cup grated cheese (cheddar, swiss, jack or american)
                1 egg, beaten
                4 1/2 ounces spaghetti sauce or tomato sauce
                1 teaspoon garlic powder
                1 teaspoon dried basil
                1 tablespoon dried parsley
                1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
                1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
                1. Add salt to water and boil in a saucepan.
                2. Add lentils and simmer covered 25-30 minutes, until lentils are soft and most of water is evaporated.
                3. Remove from fire.
                4. Drain and partially mash lentils.
                5. Scrape into mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
                6. Stir in onion, oats and cheese until mixed.
                7. Add egg, tomato sauce, garlic, basil, parsley, seasoning salt and pepper.
                8. Mix well.
                9. Spoon into loaf pan that has been generously sprayed with non-stick cooking spray or well-greased.
                10. Smooth top with back of spoon.
                11. Bake at 350 degrees for 30- 45 minutes until top of loaf is dry, firm and golden brown.
                12. Cool in pan on rack for about 10 minutes.
                13. Run a sharp knife around edges of pan then turn out loaf onto serving platter.

RunsForCake

Those croquettes sound awesome! 

Here is a great lentil dish.  I added in black beans just because I love them but you could leave them out and just make it with lentils.

Lentils Ole

3 cups Water
                  1 cup lentils

2 Tablespoons Olive oil
                  8 Cloves garlic, minced
                  1/2 cup Chopped scallions,
                  1 cup Chopped sweet green pepper 
                  3 Tablespoon Ground cumin 
                  3 Tablespoon Chili powder
                  2 8-oz can tomato sauce
                  1 can drained and rinsed black beans 
                  3 Tablespoons Red wine vinegar 
                  3 Tablespoons Molasses

For serving(all optional):
                  Shredded Cheddar Cheese
                  Salsa
                  Sour Cream
                  Fresh Cilantro
                  Sliced Green Onions
                  Sliced Jalapenos
                  Sliced Olives
                  Sunflower Seeds

1. In a large saucepan, bring the water and the lentils to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and simmer the lentils for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender but not mushy. Do not overcook the lentils.

2. While the lentils cook, in a medium-sized skillet, preferably one with a nonstick surface, heat the oil, add the garlic, scallions, green pepper, cumin, and chili powder, and saute the ingredients for 2 minutes or until the vegetables are tender-crisp.

3. Stir in the tomato sauce, black beans, vinegar, and molasses, and simmer the mixture for 1 minute. When the lentils are cooked, add the lentils to the vegetable mixture and heat through before serving it.

4.  You can serve this mixture on top of a bed of brown rice, wrapped in a large tortilla and bake to make a burrito or stuffed in a regular or sweet potato.  Any way is good.  I normally put everything I mentioned under the serving list in or on mine.

*This freezes wonderfully so feel free to double or triple the recipe*