A-Z Recipes

Squash: one last chance (Read 912 times)

Jazz hands!

Yep.  Soon.

Several handfuls of cushaw went to making pumpkin dumplings, boiled then sauteed.  Served under tomato/eggplant/radish green/bell pepper sauce.  Yummy. 

The pies will come.

Ennay, our pumpkins seem to be great so far.

How did I miss this last year? What kind of dumplings are we talking here--southern or asian?

run run run AHHHHHH run run run
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Italian Smile  Think gnocci, boiled then sauteed in half butter/half olive oil.

squash is AWESOME. You just have to get a little creative with it..... For Winter Squash, ( acorn or butternut). I cut, remove seed clump, drizzle with Olive Oil and plenty o' salt and pepper and roast flesh side down with whole garlic cloves ( still in the skins) at 425 for about 30 minutes or until soft. Take the garlic out at about 15 or so minutes. allow to cool, and take the skin off, and dice. What to do with it then? Warm salad with cannelini beans, fresh rosemary, and use the garlic to make a Killer roasted garlic vinaigrette. OR Roasted Butternut squash soup. Put squash in boiling chicken or veggie broth, and season with whatever herbs you have on hand, and puree in the blender till silky smooth. Add a little milk to make it creamy, and grate some fresh Parmesan cheese over it.... YUM. Summer Squash: Squash casserole: Plenty of GREAT recipes online for numerous variations of this tasty southern staple side dish. Smile

I'm bumping this because its that time of year again and I'm actually going to attempt this on Thursday.  Ive only ever made butternut squash by microwaving it for like 10mins, scooping it out and mashing it up along with cinnamon and nutmeg and butter.  Its great, but I seem to be the only one to ever eat it.

But I'm gonna try the soup thingy.  I read another recipe very similar to this except it called for some cream cheese to cream it up a little.  I know it would up the fat content more, but I think I might try it.  Do you think I could freeze any leftovers?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This year we have been eating a lot of squash simply cut, seeds scooped, and then roasted 500 degrees ~1hr.  Then slice and eat off from the skin, maybe with a bit of butter.  You can also put butter, maple syrup or brown sugar on the cut squash before roasting.  Always roast cut end up...

I've been eating a lot of Spaghetti Squash...roast whole, cut in 1/2, scoop out seeds, scrape out innards, add butter, brown sugar, nutmeg and Parmesan cheese.  I am having it for lunch today.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Butternut squash.  Cut in half.  Scoop the seeds.  Put into the cavity a generous slice of butter and a chunk of maple or vanilla fudge.  Yes.  Fudge.  Bake cut side up 500 x 1 hour.

O.

M.

G.

Shocked

Big grin

Butternut squash.  Cut in half.  Scoop the seeds.  Put into the cavity a generous slice of butter and a chunk of maple or vanilla fudge.  Yes.  Fudge.  Bake cut side up 500 x 1 hour.

O.

M.

G.

Shocked

Big grin

dang it. Why didn't I see this before I went to Costco? There was some fudge vendor there and I already have a butternut squash.