A-Z Recipes

Seeking Vegetarian Entrees (Read 998 times)

Jazz hands!

Another Dal Recipe. This one takes a little bit more work, but once you've made it a few times, it becomes pretty easy to throw together. Very satisfying and special. This has replaced chicken soup as my "I need something to make me feel better when I'm sick" food. Chana Dal
    I was just surfing this group for recipes and I will vouch for this one--it's awesome and easy. I usually soak the beans overnight / until I get off work in my crockpot, turn it on high when I get home, and go running.
    run run run AHHHHHH run run run

running yogi

I recently found this website. http://www.101cookbooks.com/ I am not a vegetarian(although I think I eat more vegetables than most vegetarians), but I am hooked

running yogi

My American co-workers make me make this again and again for them, so I gave them this recipe so they can make it themselves Recipe for Lentils Ingredients 1 cup dry lentils soaked overnight and drained 3 cups water or broth 1 small onion chopped 5-6 garlic cloves(more if u like) smashed and minced 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root minced 4 tablespoon tomato puree 2 teaspoon Garam Masala(store bought or homemade, recipe follows)** 1tablespoon olive oil 1tablespoon butter Salt Hot chili powder(optional) 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1 tablespoon sugar ¼ cup milk Instruction In a Dutch oven(I use a pressure cooker to make this recipe faster) heat olive oil and melt the butter in it on medium heat. Add onions, garlic , ginger and salt. Sauté until translucent. Add the tomato puree, Garam Masala and chili powder and sauté for 2 more min. Add the lentil and sauté for 2 additional minutes. Add the liquid, cover and cook lentils until soft. Add more liquid if required. When lentils have finished cooking add the milk, sugar and lemon juice, stir and heat through. Add more milk to get desired consistency. Adjust seasoning. Serve hot, garnish with sour cream, yogurt or butter and chopped cilantro. * When I use store bought garam masala, I use this brand http://www.ishopindian.com/shop/rajah-garam-masala-pr-21949.html ** Recipe for Garam Masala Ingredients: 2 tablespoons cumin seeds 2 tablespoons coriander seeds 2 tablespoons cardamom seeds 2 tablespoons black peppercorns 1 (3-inch) stick cinnamon, broken up 1 teaspoon whole cloves 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon saffron (optional) Instructions: Put the cumin, coriander, cardamom, peppercorns, cinnamon, and cloves in a dry heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Toast the spices, stirring occasionally, until they turn several shades darker and give off a sweet smoky aroma, about 10 minutes. Do not raise the heat to quicken the process, or the spices will brown prematurely, leaving the insides undercooked. Cool completely. Working in batches if necessary, transfer the mixture to a spice mill or coffee grinder and grind to a powder. Stir in the nutmeg and saffron. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Garam Masala keeps for 3 months. Yield: Makes about 1/2 cup

A Saucy Wench

Eggplant "Lasagne" - I may have posted this elsewhere but here we go good as a side dish or as a main dish Very thinly slice a large eggplant or 2 smaller ones. Peeling is optional. I find if I use very fresh eggplant there is no need to peel if I use an eggplant I let sit in my fridge a bit long I peel. Very thinly slice 1-2 large sweet onions. Really the onion to eggplant ratio is totally flexible. The faster version of the recipe: Use a very large frying pan Sautee a clove or two of garlic in a little EVOO for just a tiny bit, turn down the heat. Layer the onion and eggplant in the frying pan, sprinkle with some dried oregano and basil and turn the heat to low and allow the onions and eggplant to carmelize together, covered for an hour or so, stirring occasionally. . Eggplant soaks up a lot of moisture and to keep the oil content down I add a little bit of stock to the pan. Eventually you reach happy equilibrium where the onions are releasing moisture at about the same rate the eggplant is absorbing, but keep an eye on it. In a separate pan make your favorite spaghetti sauce. (or you can use jarred sauce if you must but dont tell Trent) When the onions and eggplant are very tender layer in a baking dish. - layer of eggplant, layer of tomato sauce, sprinkle of mozzarella, repeat. Bake at 350 or so until bubbly and the cheese is melty. How much cheese you use is also flexible and it is good with no cheese or just a light sprinkle of fresh parmesan on top. You can also add summer squash to this recipe, I add the summer squash about 1/2 way through the cooking time. The long version involves roasting the eggplant in the oven and carmelizing the onion in the pan and it is a bit better that way, but not enough for me to take the time.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

bumping because someone wanted an eggplant recipe.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7