A-Z Recipes

Deep fried turkey (Read 274 times)

My legs are killing me

I want to try something different this thanksgiving and am thinking of deep frying a turkey, but all the reciepes I see call for using peanut oil, which I can't use because my son is allergic to peanuts. What other oil can I use that as a high burn temp like peanut oil?
      Vegetable Oil or Shortening.... Most of the places that sell Turkey fryers have oils that will work for this. They have become quite sophisticated at developing alternatives as the allergy to peanuts is ever increasing. Good Luck! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

My legs are killing me

Thanks Cheffy! I knew you'd come through. Have you ever tried deep frying a turkey? From everything I've heard, it's suppose to be excellent.
          The BEST.Eating.You.Have.Ever.Had. Big grin We have done them a few times. The skin is what leads to serious FIGHTING on Thanksgiving!! Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Bugs

Just a reminder to be careful, the oil is VERY flammable. There were lots of houses burned down, kids getting hurt when they first came out. I personally like a turkey brined in beer and LOTS of kosher salt myself.

Bugs

Jazz hands!

Just a reminder to be careful, the oil is VERY flammable. There were lots of houses burned down, kids getting hurt when they first came out. I personally like a turkey brined in beer and LOTS of kosher salt myself.
              I like both of those things a lot. Tell me more. We're not the ones "doing" Thanksgiving this year (I'm making apple pie for the Outlaws' celebration), but turkeys are so cheap I think we're gonna get one and eat like kings for a week.
              run run run AHHHHHH run run run

My legs are killing me

Bugs, Your right I always hear about someone burning down their house doing this so I'm planning on doing this out in the yard. I'm just hoping it doesn't rain. Also, all the reciepes I've seen involve some sort of brining. Here is the one I think I'm going to use. It's from Alton Brown of the Food Network. Ingredients 6 quarts hot water 1 pound kosher salt 1 pound dark brown sugar 5 pounds ice 1 (13 to 14-pound) turkey, with giblets removed Approximately 4 to 4 1/2 gallons peanut oil* *Cook's Note: In order to determine the correct amount of oil, place the turkey into the pot that you will be frying it in, add water just until it barely covers the top of the turkey and is at least 4 to 5 inches below the top of the pot. This will be the amount of oil you use for frying the turkey. Directions Place the hot water, kosher salt and brown sugar into a 5-gallon upright drink cooler and stir until the salt and sugar dissolve completely. Add the ice and stir until the mixture is cool. Gently lower the turkey into the container. If necessary, weigh down the bird to ensure that it is fully immersed in the brine. Cover and set in a cool dry place for 8 to 16 hours. Remove the turkey from the brine, rinse and pat dry. Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking. Place the oil into a 28 to 30-quart pot and set over high heat on an outside propane burner with a sturdy structure. Bring the temperature of the oil to 250 degrees F. Once the temperature has reached 250, slowly lower the bird into the oil and bring the temperature to 350 degrees F. Once it has reached 350, lower the heat in order to maintain 350 degrees F. After 35 minutes, check the temperature of the turkey using a probe thermometer. Once the breast reaches 151 degrees F, gently remove from the oil and allow to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes prior to carving. The bird will reach an internal temperature of 161 degrees F due to carry over cooking. Carve as desired. Rated: 5 stars out of 543 Reviews

Bugs

Sully, I always add a six pack of dark beer to my brine recipe. DH says it's a wasteful but it sure tastes good. Maybe add 3 bottles of beer and drink 3 bottles. Wink

Bugs

My legs are killing me

Sully, I always add a six pack of dark beer to my brine recipe. DH says it's a wasteful but it sure tastes good. Maybe add 3 bottles of beer and drink 3 bottles. Wink
                    That sounds good Bugs! I do love dark beer I may have to adjust the ratio to 2 in the brine and 4 for me. Wink

Bugs

2 in the brine, 2 for you and 2 for me. Smile It was a Emeril'd recipe that I first used. That guy can sure cook, but none of his recipes are a light effort. Just skip some of the water for the brine and sub with beer.

Bugs