A-Z Recipes

Tomato sauce - help! (Read 453 times)

Lazy idiot

I bought a case of tomato sauce from Sam's Club (Hunt's, I believe) to use as a starter for red sauce to use with Italian-style meals. I've found the sauce to be incredibly acidic. I'm a bit of a cooking dummy as far as the science goes (okay... most of it), is there something I can add that will take some of the bite away? Thanks.

Tick tock

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

is there something I can add that will take some of the bite away?
      Pasta? Oh, and a bit of sugar or sweet wine, olive oil and any veggies.

Lazy idiot

Pasta?
        Assuming this is a 'for real' answer, it was incredibly acidic with the pasta. Assuming business as usual... Roll eyes
        Oh, and a bit of sugar or sweet wine, olive oil and any veggies.
        I have previously used sugar (I learned it from an Italian dude), but some people claimed my sauce was too sweet (only after they saw me use sugar). So lately, I've quit. Olive oil in sauce? Interesting. And mushrooms aren't veggies, but that and ground meat are usually what ends up in my sauce. Veggies... not so much. In conclusion... Thanks, Trent!

Tick tock

Jazz hands!

Olive oil and red wine in sauce are both super tasty. I have had a basil (it's winter. It died) plant, and so used to put fresh basil in all tomato sauces.
          run run run AHHHHHH run run run
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is illegal in Italy to make pasta sauce without using loads of olive oil.

Lazy idiot

It is illegal in Italy to make pasta sauce without using loads of olive oil.
              Perhaps this is why my dude went out of business. Wink I'll have to look up this olive oil stuff. Red wine makes sense (so does using fresh tomatoes, I suppose), but this is a new one to me. Thanks Squeaky, as well.

Tick tock

A Saucy Wench

I like to sautee sweet onions & mushrooms in the EVOO yummy. Also if you add any seasoning (oregano, basil, cayenne) to the sauce toss it in the sauteed onions and give it a stir before adding the sauce. Heaven. But yeah for wine to cut the acid, I still sometimes use a pinch of sugar, not much, and I find a dash of cayenne also helps even if you dont want your sauce to be spicy. The cayenne helps bring out the richer flavors in food. I'll use it anywhere I would use salt.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Two other Chef tricks that also work: Peel one large carrot and allow to simmer in the sauce. It will sweeten sauce slightly, and remove excess acidity add the slightest pinch of baking soda to the simmering sauce. It will bubble up, and then the excess acid will be removed. Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

A Saucy Wench

Two other Chef tricks that also work: Peel one large carrot and allow to simmer in the sauce. It will sweeten sauce slightly, and remove excess acidity add the slightest pinch of baking soda to the simmering sauce. It will bubble up, and then the excess acid will be removed. Wink
                      heh. If I am going to puree my sauce I always add carrots but I never thought of tossing it in and then removing it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7