A-Z Recipes

Fava Beans???? (Read 273 times)

Aside from the obvious...what the heck do I do with these? I got fresh Fava beans in my weekly shipment and don't know what to do! They look like a giant green bean! Do I shell them? Eat the skins? Thanks!
      That's awesome, thanks Trent. Have you made them? I don't understand the: "then parboil them before removing from a waxy coating" part... So I shell them, then just boil them for a little bit and take the coating off? I assume "parboil" means partly or partially boiled, but for how long? Thanks again! Great article!
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Parboil basically means that you drop them into boiling water and then drain after about a minute or less. I have only ever made dried favas, and those I made into a yummy hummus.

A Saucy Wench

I painstakingly peeled my favas last year and sauteed them with butter and garlic. I did not parboil, the waxy coating is thick and not that hard to remove, but if parboiling will help I will try that this year. Took a damn long time to get a small serving of favas. They were yummy though

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7