A-Z Recipes

Eggplant help? (Read 261 times)

I'm needing a little assistance with eggplant. As a baby shower gift, I'm doing a few weeks worth of plan ahead cooking for when mommy has the baby. Mommy & hubby love eggplant, but I'm not familiar with cooking it. Nor do I know how it would freeze. I usually do all the prep & freeze baggies of ingredients together with a card of instructions. Usually the meat is precooked, the veggies pre-cut, etc. Any recipe recommendations? Anyone know how to go about freezing eggplant? I'd appreciate any help! Thanks! Eryn
    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So many ways, wow. Among my faves: Heat oven to 400 Punch holes in the top of big fat Italian style eggplants Bake until shriveled up and nasty looking, about one hour Cool Break open, scoop out the eggplant mash Rinse mash and drain Add salt, olive oil and a touch of lemon juice to taste You can also add garlic and diced tomatoes. This is good on bread or crackers OR you can take the mash and make it into Calzones with cheese and a touch of tomato sauce MTA: cooked eggplant freezes well. Uncooked eggplant freezes badly.
        Eryn, I freeze stuff all the time and stock our freezer downstairs. Some of the recipes are on here...I'll try to list them for you when I have time. One thing that helped me when I first started was to just think of what you'd find in the frozen foods at the store. Usually, if they can freeze it, you can too. I'll be back....
          Thanks Joni! I do alot of plan ahead cooking & enjoy it. My complication is a picky daddy-to-be! The only meats he'll eat is venison & chicken. He loves pasta, rice, most veggies & eggplant. And I've only made eggplant once...eggplant parm. I'm good with venison & chicken though. Thanks for the eggplant help Trent. Keep them coming! Big grin
            Whoops. I think I misunderstood. I thought, along with the eggplant, you wanted other recipes. There is one recipe I've got that's already posted here under "vegetables" that a friend of mine made and was delicious; not sure how close that is to eggplant parm nor how it'd freeze (probably alright). I don't have any other recipes, sorry! I'd just be looking them up online. I did a search using "frozen eggplant" and "frozen eggplant recipes" and got quite a few hits. Sorry to be of no help otherwise. If you do want other suggestions, just let me know.
              I'm needing a little assistance with eggplant. As a baby shower gift, I'm doing a few weeks worth of plan ahead cooking for when mommy has the baby. Mommy & hubby love eggplant, but I'm not familiar with cooking it. Nor do I know how it would freeze. I usually do all the prep & freeze baggies of ingredients together with a card of instructions. Usually the meat is precooked, the veggies pre-cut, etc. Any recipe recommendations? Anyone know how to go about freezing eggplant? I'd appreciate any help! Thanks! Eryn
              If you wanted to do an eggplant parmesan for them, I would do the following: Cut the eggplant into rounds. Sprinkle with Salt and allow to " Drain" on paper towels for about 30 minutes. ( eggplants are like a sponge, they have alot of water in them, so the salt will help the water drain out). After 30 minutes, wipe them with a damp paper towel. DO NOT RUN THEM UNDER WATER Dip in egg dip in bread crumbs FREEZE Send with the " Kit" the following: Parmesan Cheese, a jar of marinara Cooking Directions: heat oven to 375 degrees brown off eggplant slices in a few tablespoons olive oil. just till light brown on each side. layer the eggplant slices in a casserole dish layer 1/2 parmesan cheese over top pour marinara over top sprinkle remaining cheese over top heat for 30-35 minutes till bubbly Enjoy~ Unfortunately, Eggplant is one of those things that will become a soupy disaster if tried to be cooked all the way first, then frozen.

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Len

Damn Yankee

My wife and I love to grill eggplant. Slice it about 1/4 inch thick, drizzle olive oil over it add salt and grill it. Recently she started cutting it up and adding it to homemade pasta salads. It's amazing! I can get her recipe if anyone is interested.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Thanks for your help everyone. I've read these, just haven't had time to respond. I've been gathering egg plant recipes, reading lots about what to do with it, etc. I've read from multiple sources that eggplant should be blanched before it is frozen. Has anyone tried this? I've blanched green beans before freezing & found it makes them terribly tough, so I'm afraid of doing this. Of course, giving a new mommy botulism poisoning is also bad... But I'm wondering if my tough green bean issue wasn't due to blanching long enough or cooling fast enough? Isn't part of the idea behind blanching to de-activate the enzymes that will cause the veggie to become tough when freezing...or something technical like that?? Confused I made the mistake one time of reading this damn book about food storage (freezing, canning, etc) and it may have made me slightly paranoid...about enzymes, mold, bacteria, yeasts, botulism. Seriously, if my Amish in-laws have not died from any of this, I should be good to go, right? I just don't want to make anyone sick. Or worse yet, to feed them tough, mushy or yucky food!! Shocked Thanks again for any advice! Big grin