A-Z Recipes

Blasphemy!!! Stuff you think is actually BETTER from the microwave. (Read 367 times)

A Saucy Wench

Hi, my name is Ennay and I am a nukeaholic - and not just for thawing soup for a quick lunch. Things I think that are better in the microwave: Sweet potatoes. I'll say it. I like sweet potatoes 2 ways, one is mashed with a little cinnamon and one is roasted so they have little carmelized bits The mashed. Well if I boil them in water they taste watery and I find myself adding more salt/cinnamon/BUTTER than I desire. That's why I always boil yellow potatoes in broth before mashing. But the broth doesnt really work with the sweet cinnamon mashed so well. This thanksgiving I sliced them and put them in the microwave with about 1/2 inch of apple juice. Steamed covered until tender, drained the juice mostly (pour out, not strained out) and mashed. OMG the best ever. I didnt even need butter. Roasted. Now seriously roasted cant be done in the microwave. But one night I was making this awesome maple chicken I make that just cries out for roasted sweet p's. And I was 15 minutes away from dinners ready when I realized I forgot the sweet p's. So I chunked and nuked them in a little broth until ALMOST done in a baking dish, then tossed them with EVOO S&P and tossed them in a VERY hot oven for a few minutes while the chicken finished. They were beautifully carmelized with a lot less oil than it takes to do them the whole way in the oven. And more even. Sometimes you get the dried out pieces or the over done spots when you roast the whole way. I know there were more but it is tucking in time.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I make a killer mac & cheese that is better still nuked the day after.

-------------------------------------
      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Jazz hands!

I make a killer mac & cheese that is better still nuked the day after.
        Share the recipe? Incidentally, I'm bring mac & cheese to a potluck tomorrow and, yep, it's gotta be microwaved. I say ramen, though I bet that hardly counts as a food. The noodles come out almost crunchy Smile
        run run run AHHHHHH run run run
          Ramen is totally better out of a microwave! I'll admit it--I cheat when baking any kind of potato (usually russet, red, or sweet if I'm baking them...I use yukon gold/red for mashing) and nuke them til they're about halfway cooked, then stick them in the oven with whatever is cooking in there (for example, chicken or pork chops or whatever) for 15-20 min. WAY faster than baking the potatoes all the way in the oven. I also cheat when we're grilling and I'll halfway cook potatoes in the microwave, then cut a wedge out of the top and cram it full of sauteed onions, peppers, mushrooms, then wrap it in aluminum foil and throw it on the grill to finish cooking. YUM. Same technique with sweet potatoes occasionally, I'll stuff them with some vidalia onion and apple slices.
          2009 Goals:
          PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
          Run a 10K
          Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
          Complete my first Sprint Tri

skinnycaponesugar

corn on the cob Big grin

Love, Run, Sleep

corn on the cob Big grin
              You beat me to it!! Big grin

A Saucy Wench

I actually discovered with my CSA that I prefer Corn on the cob raw. Really really fresh corn is sooo freaking good raw - doesnt need butter and salt

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7