A-Z Recipes

Appetizers, Beverages & Snacks (Read 661 times)

Smile
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heating Pad Yogurt I have made my own yogurt using a gallon of whole milk, it's very simple and so much better than store bought yogurt. ~~~~~ I divide the gallon into 4 1qt. containers and nuke the milk until it is at 180-185° (checking every few minutes with a meat thermometer), then cool it (covered) to 110-115° at room temperature (it takes about 90 minutes in a seventyish degree home with few drafts), then add 2TB of Dannon plain full fat (though non fat and fat free work just as well), set containers in a medium-sized cooler under a heating pad set to low, close the lid, and allow to "incubate" UNDISTURBED for 8-24 hours (the longer the incubation, the stronger the yogurt flavor). Note: it is VERY important that all containers and utensils be VERY clean, as the only bacteria you want in your yogurt is the beneficial yogurt bacteria. Other contaminants can cause the yogurt to not set-up properly. ~~~~~ Variations: for creamier, richer yogurt 3C Whole milk 6oz. Heavy Cream 2oz. plain yogurt starter ~~~~~ Draining for yogurt cheese (Yocheese/Greek-style yogurt): Either use a yogurt cheese funnel or line a colander with cheesecloth, large coffee filter or layers of white paper towels. Set the colander over a large bowl. Spoon in the yogurt and put in the fridge. Cover and allow to drain for 2 to 10 hours, depending on the consistency desired. Discard the drained off whey. Store in fridge. Pour off any liquid that drains from the cheese before using. Can be used as a substitute for cream cheese, sour cream, or even mayo. It is also wonderful with DaVinci sugar-free syrup stirred-in.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

CINNAMON CHIPS Lage tortillas (I used 10" wheat) Butter flavored cooking spray (I didn't have butter - came out great anyway!) Cinnamon & sugar mixed to your taste! Spray tortilla with cooking spray. Cut (I used a thing like a pizza cutter but with curvy edges to make the chips look cool) into wedges Place on cookie sheet, sprinkle with desired cinnamon & sugar, lightly spray again. Bake about 8 minutes or until the chips start to curl up a tiny bit. Cool. Chips will be crunchy & sweet!!
          Not sure if this is goes under snacks or meatless. We always use the soy burger, but I imagine you could use crumbled ground beef, as well. 1 bag tortilla chips (round work well) 1 lb ground beef or meatless crumbles (one bag Boca crumbles is our fave) 1 jar salsa 4-8 oz shredded cheese (mozz, cheddar, blend, whatever!) In a saucepan over medium heat, mix the "meat" with the salsa and warm. Spread the tortilla chips over one or two rectangular baking pans. Pour the meat/salsa mix over the chips and sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake this at around 350* or until the cheese melts. Serve right away, as the chips are GREAT warm! (We usually add some sour cream and I like to throw on a few olives.) I guess the numbers vary on this one according to which choices you cook with, but I can attest that this is a very quick and well-received meal at our house. The kids love eating with the chips instead of forks! Wink
          I have not run in vain nor labored in vain.... You must run in such a way that you may be victorious. --Paul, Phil 2:16, 1Cor 9:24

Life is Good

Here is a great homemade salsa recipe ( I believe I found it in an issue of consumer reports some years ago) Shocked 1 clove Garlic 6 Jalapeno peppers; seeded to reduce the heat 4 small Tomitillo's; chopped 2 roma or plum tomatoes: diced 4 Globe or beef steak tomatoes;diced 1 medium onion; finely diced 1/2 Green Bell pepper: finely diced 2 tbs fresh parsley; coarsely chopped 2tbs fresh Cilantro; coarsely chopped Juice of one lime 1/2 ts salt In a food processor,finely chop the garlic, and Jalapeño peppers. Add the tomatillos and chop again. Remove the mixture and combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl chill several hours to bring out the flavors. spice it up with hotter peppers if you want, or add a small can(drained) of Mexican corn or black beans for even more flavor. serve with your favorite tortilla chips

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

Avocado and Mango Salsa 2 cups diced fresh mango 1 cup chopped avocado 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced Pinch of salt Preparation Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; cover and chill 1 hour before serving. Yield Makes about 3 cups This is the recipe that I did on TV for both Grand Rapids and Charlotte, NC Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

CINNAMON CHIPS Lage tortillas (I used 10" wheat) Butter flavored cooking spray (I didn't have butter - came out great anyway!) Cinnamon & sugar mixed to your taste! Spray tortilla with cooking spray. Cut (I used a thing like a pizza cutter but with curvy edges to make the chips look cool) into wedges Place on cookie sheet, sprinkle with desired cinnamon & sugar, lightly spray again. Bake about 8 minutes or until the chips start to curl up a tiny bit. Cool. Chips will be crunchy & sweet!!
                You can also use water instead of cooking spray. These go great with PC Apple Berry Salsa. Smile Salsa 2 med Granny Smith apples 1 cup strawberries -- sliced 1 kiwi fruit -- peeled and chopped 1 small orange 2 tbsp packed brown sugar 2 tbsp apple jelly
                  EGGPLANT RELISH 3 Tbsp olive oil 1 medium onion, chopped 2 garlic cloves, finely minced Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper 1 medium sized eggplant - about 1 lb, cut into 1/2-inch cubes 6 plum tomatoes, finely chopped 1/4 cup red wine vinegar 1/4 cup walnuts or pinenuts 1/4 cup pitted green olives, chopped 1/4 cup raisins 2 to 3 Tbsp sugar 2 Tbsp capers, drained 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley Method 1 Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion begins to soften - about 5 minutes. Add the garlic. Cook a couple minutes more. 2 Add eggplant and tomatoes. Cover. Cook, stirring occasionally until eggplant is very soft, about 15 minutes. 3 Add vinegar, nuts, olives, raisins, sugar, and capers. Cook uncovered over medium-low heat until vegetables begin to break down, about 10-12 minutes. 4 Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Mix in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Relish can be refrigerated, covered, up to 5 days. Makes 4 cups. Serve with toasted French baguette slices, bread sticks, on a sandwich, or with fish

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

CINNAMON-SUGAR POPCORN

1 C. unpopped popcorn

1/3 C butter

2/3 C white sugar

2 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1.  Preheat oven to 250 (120 C).  Pop the corn w/ an air popper.  Place into a large mixing bowl & set aside.

2.  Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Stir in the sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla.  Cook until thick and bubbly.  Pour over the popcorn, & stir until popcorn is evenly coated.  Spread the popcorn into a large roasting pan.

3.  Bake 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and allow the popcorn to stay in the oven 20 minutes longer.  Remove from oven and cool before serving.

Warning:  ADDICTIVE!!!!! 

Also, don't heat the sugar mix too long or it will get too thick and will be difficult to spread on the popcorn.  You want to take it off the burner right when you see it thickening up.   The recipe states to let it sit 20 mintues after you turn off the heat, but I didn't see a huge difference from that compared to the corn 10 minutes after it was cooked.  It might make it a little crunchier.