A-Z Recipes

Black Bean and Brown Rice Recipe (Read 260 times)

Hello everyone, I haven't posted here yet (just lurking) but I thought I would share a recipe that I enjoy making and eating. Although I am not a vegetarian, I really like this and it's a great substitute for meat especially if a Bocca Burger makes you gag. This is a black bean and brown rice burger that you can fry right in a skillet and is very easy to do. Black Bean & Brown Rice Burgers 15 oz. Can of black beans (drained and rinsed) 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice 1 cup water 1 tbsp olive oil 1 cup diced onion 1 cup diced red pepper 1 clove garlic minced ½ cup breadcrumbs 1 egg white ¼ cup salsa (optional) Salt & pepper -Cook brown rice per the directions on the box or mix ½ cup of brown rice, 1 cup of water and some salt and cook on high until boiling. Reduce heat and cover and cook until water is absorbed. Allow to stand for a few minutes after cooking. -While rice is cooking, add olive oil to a skillet and cook onion, red pepper and garlic over medium heat until onions and peppers are soft (about 5 minutes) -Put rinsed black beans in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher. Add egg white, salsa, breadcrumbs, cooked brown rice and onion & red pepper mixture to mashed black beans and mix. Season with salt and pepper. -Heat skillet and coat with non-stick spray. Using a spoon, scoop mixture into the pan and form into patties. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side (being careful not to break the patties) and serve on a bun and top with salsa, onions or any regular hamburger condiments. Recipe makes 4 burgers.
    Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"
      That sounds delicious. I'm going to have to try it. Passing it on to my daughter who is a vegetarian.
      Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
        I made your Black Bean & Brown Rice Burgers - they were good, thanks!
        t_runner

I second the praise on these, just made them for dinner and they were delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

skinnycaponesugar

I <3 black beans ;) black="" beans=""></3 black beans ;)>

Love, Run, Sleep