A-Z Recipes

What immersion blender should I buy? (Read 340 times)

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

It's soup season again. The immersion blender would make life a lot easier. Any recommendations?
      I have the Viking Professional Immersion Blender and LOVE It..... It was around $120.00 and comes with mixer/shaker and whisk attachment. Bamix makes one that is REALLY nice also, just a little more pricey... the motor is a bit more powerful also. I use mine daily.....

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have the Kitchenaid. Love it.

A Saucy Wench

I have the same one Trent has. Love it! And it isnt too expensive. Having had multiple ones I would say that the most important feature is that the blade detaches from the motor. My first one did not and was nearly impossible to clean. You couldnt turn it upsidedown to run water into the blade because the water would get on the motor. Pain in the ass.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Thanks for the input. Homemade soup and homemade bread are becoming a regular occurrence here. I think DH ate an entire loaf of oatmeal sourdough bread this weekend!
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Here is the recipe I started with. I didn't have dry milk, so I scalded 1 c of milk and used that in place of the hot water and dry milk. I also ended up using a lot more flour, as the dough was sticky. NEXT TIME, I will increase the oatmeal and play around with some other types of flour. Sourdough Oatmeal Bread (2 medium loaves) Sponge: 1 c starter 1 c warm water (105-115) 1-1/2 c bread or all-purpose flour Dough: 1 c hot water (120-130) ½ c nonfat dry milk 2 T honey 1 pkg dry yeast 1 c quick oatmeal 1 T sugar 1 tsp each salt and baking soda 2-4 c bread or all purpose flour, approximately To make the sponge, begin the night before by mixing the starter, warm water, and flour into a large mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and put in warm place (85-90) for 8 to 10 hours or overnight. On bake day, stir down the sponge, and measure in the water, dry milk, and honey. Sprinkle on the yeast. Stir in the oatmeal, sugar, salt, and baking soda. Measure in the flour, ¼ cup at a time. The dough will be a rough shaggy mass that will clean the sides of the bowl. If the dough continues to be moist, add liberal sprinkles of flour. Knead 10 minutes until dough forms a soft ball. It should become smooth and satiny. Shape into a ball and leave on the work surface to rest under a towel for 10 minutes. Knead for 30 seconds to press out the bubbles. Divide in 2 pieces, shape into balls, and let rest for 3-4 minutes. Form each loaf, tuck under the ends, and place in the greased pans, seam down. Place pans, covered in waxed paper, in a warm place until the center has risen above the edge of the pan (about 75 minutes.) Slash the top of each loaf lengthwise to allow the bread to expand along the slash and not pull the top crust away from the sides of the pan. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and continue baking for another 25 minutes, or until loaves test done.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

At what stage was the dough sticky?
                jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

When the kneading was almost done. Fortunately, I took a breadmaking class a few years ago. The single most important thing I learned was how to tell how much flour to use based on the look and feel of the dough.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The reason I asked is that I have observed that with a strong sourdough culture, as the dough becomes more acidic, a once-stiff dough will break down and become sticky. It makes for a fun challenge of getting the dough sour enough, but no so much that is falls apart. Dough should be a bit tacky, generally speaking.
                    jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Tacky, yes. But this was beyond the tacky stage. This was the stage of scraping it off your hands. Once you get a sourdough starter going, does it become more sour over time? I haven't done much with sourdough in the past, so this is new territory for me. My breadbook has some wonderful sounding recipes for sourdough, including whole wheat, potato, and pumpernickel. DH has become obsessed with losing weight - he thinks if he can't see his 6 packs he is too fat. Since bread is his biggest downfall, this is my way of making sure his weight doesn't go down any more. He's 6'2" and 165 pounds!
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The starter does not become more sour over time because every time you feed it and take some of the starter out, you reduce its sourness. When you feed it, you give it new flour, which raises the pH. The starter basically starts growing and continues until the starter pH drops low enough to inhibit growth. Then you stick it in your fridge for a week and start the process over again by feeding it more. Oats can make for a sticky dough because they have fat and hold onto water. Potato bread is lovely, but it can also be very very sticky.
                        jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Thanks for the info. BTW, I never thanked you for pushing me to get a new doc. (Remember the doc that said gaining weight is impossible to stop as you get older?) I found a new doc that I absolutely love. And, after 7 months of not sleeping more than 2 hours at a time (even if I took Ambien CR), she has me sleeping again! Life is so much better! Thanks again.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sweet! What made the difference with sleep?
                            jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Hormones.