A-Z Recipes

What did you cook this weekend? (Read 335 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pumpkin Pie and pecan cheesecake with a crumbled gingerbread crust

Gingerbread Cookies for the crust

3 cups all purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoons salt
    3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoons ground ginger
    2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spices
    1 stick butter, room temperature
    1/2 cup granulated white sugar
    1 large egg
    2/3 cup unsulphured molasses

In a large bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices. Set aside.  Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and molasses and beat until well combined. Gradually add the flour mixture beating until incorporated.  Preheat oven to 350°F and place rack in center of oven.

Roll out on a floured surface to ~ 1/4 inch thick, cut into funny shapes and bake until it begins to darken.  Cool on a wire rack.

Now, make the Cheesecake:

Crust

1 1/2 cups ground gingerbread, from above
    1 1/2 cups toasted pecans
    1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 stick butter, melted

Finely grind cookies, pecans and sugar in a food processor. Add melted butter and blend until combined. Press crust mixture onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides.

Filling

4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
    1 2/3 cups sugar
    2 cups pumpkin puree
    2-3 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
    4 large eggs
    1 tablespoon vanilla
    Heavy cream

Beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until light. Save 3/4 cup mixture in the refrigerator to use later for topping. Add pumpkin, 4 tablespoons heavy cream, ground spices and vanilla to the mixture and beat until well combined. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating just until combined.

Pour filling into crust. Bake at 350°F until cheesecake puffs, top browns and center moves only slightly when pan is shaken, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Transfer cheesecake to rack and cool 10 minutes. Run small sharp knife around cake pan sides to loosen cheesecake. Cool. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.

Topping

Bring remaining 3/4 cup cream cheese mixture to room temperature. Add about 5 tablespoons heavy cream to cream cheese mixture and stir to combine. Press down firmly on edges of cheesecake to even thickness. Pour cream cheese mixture over cheesecake, spreading evenly. Sprinkle ground pecans over that.

A Saucy Wench

birdsnest cookies:

damn gotta look up the recipe.Anyway its I think it is

1 c. butter

1 c. brown sugar

2 egg yolks

1 tsp vanilla

2 c flour

eggwhites.

chopped nuts(I used walnuts and almonds)

jam of choice

Cream butter & sugar, add remaining stuff, make sticky wet dough, refrigerate until you can work with it, roll in little balls, dip in eggwhite, roll in chopped nuts.  Place on baking sheet and use thumb to flatten and make well, fill well with jam flavor of choice (blackberry and apricot are good) and bake @ 350 for 18-20 minutes

Next time I think I will just mix the nuts in with the dough and skip the dip and roll.

And I used some of my dried zucchini in a stir fry. Texture was weird, flavor good, much prefer over shredded frozen. I think I will dry my excess squash next year and chop the dried bits and sprinkle by the handfull on soups and stirfrys.  It becomes almost a seasoning. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Ostrich runner

Zucchini bread, pumpkin bread, blackberry cobbler, and now I need a good recipe for mulling wine.  Anyone?

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Top 'O the World!

I don't have time to list it all....'tis the season for sugar, chocolate, rib roast & cocktails!! Wink
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

A Saucy Wench

apple pie

pumpkin pie

fake rugelach with the left over pie crust

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

2 loaves oatmeal cinnamon bread

2 loaves oatmeal cinnamon raisin bread

4 loaves pumpkin walnut chocolate chip bread

cranberry cake

chocolate cinnamon coffee cake