Beginners and Beyond

Screw it. I'll post my Turkey Trot RR here. (Read 409 times)

I'm just about tired of the spam on RWOL.  Ran a Turkey Trot this morning and finished 2nd overall male but got chicked twice by some fast young chicks.  One used to be a D1 level cross country runner and I think the other currently runs for a D1 school.  Plus, I've got an extra 30 years on my legs so I can't complain.  I thought I might be fully recovered from my HM on the 11th but that is obviously not the case.  The fatigue kept building in my legs throughout the race and I simply couldn't get them to turn over the way I'd like.  Fun, local, old school style race.  No chip timing, no bibs, only about 30-40 runners, and you got a pop-sickle stick to mark your place as you crossed the line.  Awards went to the top two overall males and top two overall females and I got one.  A pumpkin pie.  Race started at 8:30 and I was in my car and heading home by 9:30.  That is the way to do a small, local race.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Supersono99

So what kind of beer goes with pumpkin pie? Congrats on your 2nd OA. Happy Thanksgiving. 

runfoolery

With only 30-40 runners, was everyone on the fast side, or were there a few slower folks running too? I always wonder with races like that whether I really would be the last one in!

And welcome to RA!

Lori W

MM#5991

Pie is good.

Congratulations.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

xor

pop-sickle?

stealth_rnr

Congratulations, and welcome.

Bad Ass

That is the shortest RR you've ever done, LTH!

Great job.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

not lazy, just tired

Pie is very good. Congratulations! 

Not if it makes sense.

Refurbished Hip

Oh, pie!  Nice!  Congrats, LTH!  Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Supersono, it depends on whether you want to compliment or contrast the sweetness.  If you want to compliment it, go for a porter or a stout.  If you can find a chocolate stout or a chocolate porter or dark ale, all the better.  If you want to contrast the sweetness, look for either an IPA or a Pilsner.

Runfoolery, there is a misperception that those small, local races are populated by nothing but fast runners.  Sure, this one had some fairly fast folks.  The guy that won is capable of a 1:15 HM.  However, I finished in 19:48 (tough, hilly course) and the next person behind me was about two minutes back.  The last person came across the line in around 50 minutes.  This was one of the very few where I didn't see any walkers.  Truthfully, if you're finishing in under 45 minutes, you won't be last.  Besides, I have finished in last place and no one shoots you.

D, it was a short race report but there just isn't a lot to say.  This wasn't a goal race, my legs were still recovering from the HM, and it was just an old school race.  Line up and run like hell.  For the most part, I love small races like this.  The only difficulty is that it essentially turned into a time trial from about the 3/4 mile mark to the finish.  There was no way I was catching the person in front of me and I couldn't even see the person behind me.  It is really, really hard to push yourself when that happens.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

SheCan

Congrats on the 2nd OA male placement!  That's pretty sweet;  hope you've enjoyed the pie.   

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

LRB

Dreamer

Here, have a Two Hearted Ale on me El Groucho. 

It is not a DFH 120 but it is not chopped liver either.

MRT: This too shall pass I made it!

Hey your still fast for your age. Congrats.

You Rang?

I love the thought of an old-school race with 40 to 60 entrants.  Living in SoCal, I've never entered a race that has less than a thousand entrants.  Most of the races I run have over 10,000 entrants.  

Enjoy your pie.

Rick 

PR: 5k 26:17 (10/13) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 2:18:26 (9/13) FM: 5:29 (1/14)

meaghansketch

Congrats on 2nd Overall!  Fantastic job, and congratulations on the pie! 

Up next: Front Runners New York LGBT Pride 5-mile  06/28 |  NYRR Team Championships: Women (5M) 08/02

Goal race: NYCRUNS Haunted Island 10K 10/25