Beginners and Beyond

RR - Olean HM (Read 79 times)

Today was one of those rare, red-letter days where absolutely everything goes right.  It would be my second go at racing 13.1, with the first being a year ago at the same event.

Just like last year, the weather was suddenly and unseasonably awesome -- 60 and mostly sunny.  The course was identical - mild elevation change but nothing worthy of profanity, with a decent headwind making for some difficult stretches on the way back from the turnaround.

As we lined up, I had very little of the nervous energy normal before a 5K.  This was a half, no need to spaz.  Steve came over and said hello and good luck (the guy with whom I had run large portions of last year's HM and part of the 10 miler earlier this year, before he smoked me en route to his outstanding sub-60 on a fairly tough course.)  A police SUV backed up to pace, joined by a few guys on bikes, and away we went.

Steve had asked me at the start what my goal for today was, and I just smiled and said "1:25".  The first two miles went quickly, and we passed a timekeeper who yelled "12 minutes flat, just. like. that!"  When it started to appear likely that the lead pack might have only  2 runners, I asked Steve if he wanted to go under 1:20.  He replied "1:18, 6's all the way out and then neg split back in".

Ok, I was game to attempt at least the first part of that idea.  What I wanted to avoid, mainly, was going back past the other runners after the  turnaround and having everyone yelling "c'mon, you can catch that guy!"  So the pace held, at what felt like a lazy 5K effort rather than saving anything for later.

The sun was out, the temperature ideal, and we were moving down rural roads much like the ones I now train on, but flatter.  I took stock of how I felt every mile or so -- legs aren't bordering on cramps, breathing is not too heavy,  so just keep racing.  I also consciously reminded myself not to slow down out of boredom, and played a mental game of trying to pace an imaginary self on my 15-mile home course, making the real run easier because the hills weren't there.

Finally, the much-anticipated turnaround passed, and we came back past the race stride for stride.  Just about every runner yelled encouragement  upon seeing 2 leaders, it was quite a boost.  Once the road got lonely again, the wind became a factor.  Not gusting, but steady.  I ran with my arms in, trying to knife through it.  I could tell that it was bugging Steve as well, but neither of us wanted to be the guy to start drafting.  Somewhere around 9 miles, he said to go ahead, that he would catch up, and slowed just a little bit.

Taking that lead was mentally hard.  I had started to hope that it might all come down to a kick, a battle between runners so equally matched that the competition itself would eclipse the fact that someone had to win.  From there until the last 500m or so, I was actually hoping that he would catch back up, and didn't even sneak a glance on corners. And then it was onto the last street, and there were orange cones in the distance, and the cop pulled away,  and my watch showed that if I could drop the hammer *right now* I might break 1:20.  And so I did.

Official 1:19:46 and my first win at a non-5K.  This race was so low key that they only had awards for 10 year age groups and nothing for OA male / female.  Steve was mistakenly awarded the AG trophy and when it was discovered that it wasn't because of taking out overall, he graciously gave it to me.  Class act.

Docket_Rocket

Congratulations, speedy!  I love those days when everything goes right.   I'm glad you had such a great race.  All your hard work is paying off.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

A win in a half marathon?  Now that's sweet!

I yell things at the lead runners coming at me too, usually F bombs!  Big grin

Very impressive race!

workinprogress11

Wonderful race!  Congratulations on the win!

B-Plus

You're so sick! I hope I can maintain that pace for my 5k next weekend.

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Nice race! And congrats on the win.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Just B.S.

Shirfan, wowzers! Just amazing. Big big congrats to you!

A sweet race!  Congratulations.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Luke79

Good RR.  That's really cool man.  Grats on the win.  I can't even imagine what that would be like.

Mmmmm...beer

Congrats on the OA win!  That's outstanding.  Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

Wow, I am so impressed at how you did that! Congratulation, Shirfan! What an amazing finish time!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Wow! That is amazing!!! Congratulations on winning your HM, you must feel on top of the world!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

BruceD555

Wow! What an incredible race you ran and that stretch in the lead must have been incredibly tough to maintain focus and composure. Kudos on an awesome OA win.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Congrats on the great run and the win.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Love the Half

Damn dude.  That's movin'.  I love those low key races as long as you can deal with running by yourself for long stretches.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).