Beginners and Beyond

GPS watch battery in the cold (Read 49 times)

Cyberic

I have a Timex Global Trainer. The battery indicator has 3 or 4 graduations. In the summer, there's plenty of battery left after a 2+ hour run. In the cold, the battery indicator goes down very fast. Although the watch never shut itself off on me, in the heart of winter last year I was wearing the watch underneath my jacket because I was afraid it would do so. But that is not ideal. I don't usually use the watch just to log statistics, but use it as a feedback instrument while I run.

I was wondering what you guys have experienced with your watches in the winter. I mean, I understand that all batteries will lose effectiveness in the cold, but how does it impact your watches?

I'll probably make a test next winter and just leave the watch outside in the cold with the gps on and see how long it takes before it shuts down. Maybe the battery indicator is just pessimistic and there's plenty of power left when there's just one bar showing?

LRB

I wore my Garmin 410 on my outer wrist in single digit temps and wind chills well past minus zero many times last year and did not have a single issue with display, operation or battery life all winter, one of the coldest in my states history.

B-Plus

I wore my Garmin 410 on my outer wrist in single digit temps and wind chills well past minus zero many times last year and did not have a single issue with display, operation or battery life all winter, one of the coldest in my states history.

You know we're almost halfway into the 2010 decade, right?

catwhoorg

Labrat

I know any details on that particular model, but the battery indicator probably detects the minor voltage drop as a battery discharges.

Cold conditions lead to a slightly lower voltage as well, so will generally cause an aberrant low reading on the indicator without affecting the life.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

LRB

The stupid thing just works, which is about all one could ask of it.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'm still using my 6 year old 205.

Running is dumb.

If there's one thing I've learned on these forums, it's that if you have a Garmin that works, cling to it for dear life.

Dave

B-Plus

The stupid thing just works, which is about all one could ask of it.

Lol, My 405 is still going strong. Didn't we agree to upgrade this coming Black Friday/cyber Monday?

LRB

Lol, My 405 is still going strong. Didn't we agree to upgrade this coming Black Friday/cyber Monday?

I most likely will pass on the 220 and will be looking instead at a 310 or another 410 for backup if I can get it for a similar price as last time.

If they decide to go rock bottom on the 220 I may consider it.

You are not paying attention. "Upgrade" = huge leap of faith, into the great abyss.

Dave

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

You are not paying attention. "Upgrade" = huge leap of faith, into the great abyss.

+1

I will hold onto my big ass 205 as long as I can.  I've even sent it away to get the battery replaced.  The thing works perfectly.

Running is dumb.

LRB

Yeah that's where I am at on the whole thing.

catwhoorg

Labrat

+1

I will hold onto my big ass 205 as long as I can.  I've even sent it away to get the battery replaced.  The thing works perfectly.

To Garmin or to one of the 3rd parties that do it ?

Didn't there used to be a thread over on RWOL about Garmin maintenance ?

catwhoorg

Labrat

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingsworkfaqs/f/coldbattery.htm

Some background about batteries and the cold.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

To Garmin or to one of the 3rd parties that do it ?

Didn't there used to be a thread over on RWOL about Garmin maintenance ?

Hehe.

It was a 3rd party.  $35 or something.

Running is dumb.