Beginners and Beyond

Woman accidently wins marathon (Read 124 times)

LRB

From Competitor.com

"Meredith Fitzmaurice’s plan on Sunday was this: Complete the half-marathon at the Run for Heroes Marathon. After all, the Belle River, Ontario resident was training for her first 26.2-mile journey — next month’s Detroit Marathon — and was using Sunday’s race as a training run.

But somewhere along the route, her plan went awry after she missed the turnaround for the half-marathon. Eventually realizing she was on the marathon course, she decided to keep going until she finished in Amherstburg, Ontrio … 26.2 miles later.

Oh, and she won.  Fitzmaurice was the first female finisher in the race. In the first marathon of her life.

Before she got there, however, Fitzmaurice asked a race official on a bicycle about her dilemma. If she were to finish the marathon, despite being signed up for the half-marathon, would her result count? After checking with the race director, the official delivered the news.  Yes, it would count. And then she made the effort count with a victory."

Link to story here.

LRB

Is that some shit or what?

Docket_Rocket

I saw.  That is so funny.  The only question is, did the HM start before the marathon?  She sure had a great day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

She originally planned to run a 1:28:00 half marathon, but ran a 3:11:48 marathon instead, while qualifying for Boston in the process.

Another link here.

Docket_Rocket

That is awesome!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Does anybody know how someone would go about doing this?  I'd be interested.  What the hell?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

GinnyinPA

I just saw the article.  That's serendipity.  9th overall and first woman - incredible debut.

Goorun

I had some discussions about this on FB and yes it is in a way cool, but technically she did not sign up for full = she ran it illegally = mostly, she cost the second woman, who finished just over 2 minutes behind her, a marathon win. I don't know if the woman in the second place ever won a marathon or ever get another chance, but that sucks for her.

If I was a race director, I would give the first woman official time (BQ for her) but list her with asterisk at the end of the official results and give the win to the woman in the second place.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Well there are plenty of people who sign up for the full & actually end up finishing the half. How come we never read about these? Of course they rarely win.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I kind of was thinking the same thing, this cheated the 2nd place woman who had signed up for the full and if I was her I would be pissed.

I had some discussions about this on FB and yes it is in a way cool, but technically she did not sign up for full = she ran it illegally = mostly, she cost the second woman, who finished just over 2 minutes behind her, a marathon win. I don't know if the woman in the second place ever won a marathon or ever get another chance, but that sucks for her.

If I was a race director, I would give the first woman official time (BQ for her) but list her with asterisk at the end of the official results and give the win to the woman in the second place.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

True, technically a bandit. I assume they are not making her pay the registration fee difference between half & full.

Dave

Goorun

I saw.  That is so funny.  The only question is, did the HM start before the marathon?  She sure had a great day!

They start the same time.

Eugene marathon, for example, does same thing and when I ran it two years ago, we had in our little group two half marathon guys who were happy to be able to go with us (they were shooting for 1:22 and our pace was for 2:43-44 finish). Somebody who could run a marathon at the pace which is your best for a half is almost always a better pacer than you (not you Damaris, I'm talking in general) and it is easier to go with somebody like that, than with other half marathon runners. In Eugene the half is the same course as the marathon for the first 11 miles.

Goorun

I kind of was thinking the same thing, this cheated the 2nd place woman who had signed up for the full and if I was her I would be pissed.

Correct and the fourth woman was cheated of her podium finish. I don't know if either one cared, but a lot of people would.

Docket_Rocket

Goo, I agree with your suggestion.  Get the BQ but maybe take her out o the awards unless you switched prior to starting the race.

I still think it was a good day for her.  Something that does not happen often.  Good for her.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Goorun

Goo, I agree with your suggestion.  Get the BQ but maybe take her out o the awards unless you switched prior to starting the race.

I still think it was a good day for her.  Something that does not happen often.  Good for her.

So we agree Smile

This is such a nice unicorns and rainbows group Wink