Beginners and Beyond

RnR Las Vegas Marathon RR, aka Maybe a Person Lethally Allergic to Dustmites Should Not Have Chosen This Race (Read 445 times)

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Damaris, while I'm glad you got your medal and star (I know that is huge accomplishment and difficult to achieve), next time your asthma gets that bad I want you to sit at the water station and wait for sag wagon. No medal is worth our life. Now recover quick and consider a northern marathon near me so we can meet.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Ball of Fury

Wow!  So sorry you had such a bad experience, but way to tough it out and finish...many, many others would have been in the SAG wagon for sure!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Well that sucks, but good job for toughing it out.

Now lets hope the Pixie dust at Disney has a better effect on you!

Looking forward to running that race with you meeting at the FE.

Gotta love a RR with lots of F bombs.... grit and determination come right thru.

Misty

Geez Damaris congrats on sticking it out. That sounds like such a hellish experience and I'm sorry you had to go through it. You are super tough to stick with it though!

Misty

Bless your heart.

Jess runs for bacon

Ugh, that sucks! I'm glad you finished though. I honestly wouldn't have guess that it would have been that windy and dusty, but I've never been to Vegas.

xor

Ugh, that sucks! I'm glad you finished though. I honestly wouldn't have guess that it would have been that windy and dusty, but I've never been to Vegas.

That race is LEGENDARY for being windy.  The old course (circa 2004) used to be 26 miles out of town... run to town, straight shot.  That course was almost always 30+ mph wind gusts that blew portapotties over etc.  Since they moved it into town, the effects of the wind have been different because the course turns a lot.  But it can still be, oh yes.

As for dust, not trying to be snarky but I am a bit ???.  Las Vegas is in the middle of the desert.

Luke79

Sorry D.  I think it should be encouraging to know that your next marathon has a very good possibility of being borderline utopian given the fact that you will not be "running the Sahara" as it appears you were in this case Smile  Good job on the legitimate finish.  You actually, in good conscience, earned your medal.

Aw D, so sorry that it went poorly.  Your disappointment is just about jumping off the screen.

But congrats on being tough and beating the dust and the asthma.  That is truly BA regardless of what the clock said.  Smile

Trail Monster

You sure as hell earned that medal! And you'll earn that second star aa well!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Wow, sorry it was so tough. Was running down the strip all that you thought it would be ?

Jane

Sad.

Never run, if you want to never run, don't start because you'll never stop.

Docket_Rocket

I have run in windy and dusty conditions before without issue. It also depends on how my allergy is doing. I would have expected this last year but not this year when I am almost off allergy shots completely. I have also run in LV before and never experienced what I did last night. I guess the conditions were prime for an allergy induced attack. It passed quickly but the soreness and the stuff that comes with it lingered.

That race is LEGENDARY for being windy.  The old course (circa 2004) used to be 26 miles out of town... run to town, straight shot.  That course was almost always 30+ mph wind gusts that blew portapotties over etc.  Since they moved it into town, the effects of the wind have been different because the course turns a lot.  But it can still be, oh yes.

As for dust, not trying to be snarky but I am a bit ???.  Las Vegas is in the middle of the desert.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

thinkin about glory days

Sorry it was rough, Damaris.  But great job powering through to the end!

PRs

5k:  21:36

HM: 1:39:59

FM: 3:38:29

Docket_Rocket

And thanks! I am fine, really. My throat is itchy still but breathing is back to normal. I was fine after the attack but for the lack of energy that came with it. I actually had fun at the back of the pack. I am used to 70% of my races sucking. I bounce back quickly, at least.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Oh, that sucks...way to finish, though, and earn that medal!