Beginners and Beyond

Cold weather wimps: These 8-year-olds kick your tail. (Read 53 times)

StepbyStep-SH

I am very proud today of two very tough little boys, and the great friends I have in the running community.

I had signed my 8-year-old DS and I up to run the local winter running series. He did great with me in the December race, then I hurt my knee and we DNS'd the January one. I wanted him to be able to run this one, and typically the February race is warmer, so we recruited a friend who had been in a summer track program with him.

But today ended up with single-digit temps, 20 mph winds, and wind chills getting close to -20*. These boys still did it. I did have friends who went back out after they finished their races to encourage the boys through the last half-mile straight into the north wind.

The only bummer is that the age groups are for 14 and under, and there were two 14yo boys and a 13yo who showed up at today's race, so these two were out of the placings, but they were by far the youngest kids to take on the weather, and I am so incredibly proud of them for running this on their own.

Starting out:

Two of my friends bringing DS in (his buddy finished a couple minutes ahead with another of my friends):

Happy despite no ribbons, and they are ready to do it again.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

happylily

Well done, young gentlemen! Brrr... You are so brave!

So many little things worth being happy and grateful for... Let's not forget them. Parental pride is one of the greatest satisfaction in life.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Half Crazy K 2.0

Nice job. Anyone wear shorts?

I will fully admit to my wimpiness and will be on my treadmill for the next few days.

StepbyStep-SH

Nice job. Anyone wear shorts?

I will fully admit to my wimpiness and will be on my treadmill for the next few days.

You know, I actually did not see anyone in shorts, but then I didn't see the usual suspects who would do that either. My one friend running with Kevin, though, finished his race without his headband, and that last half-mile was straight into the wind. I don't know how he didn't frostbite his scalp.

Little Blue

That's quite a feat, for anyone!  I'd say he deserves an ice cream, but maybe issue a rain check till it's a little warmer!

LRB

Our annual Polar Plunge was this morning in similar conditions. There are usually about 800 or so who take the dive into the Detroit River but I am curious if there were as many (or more!) who did this year.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Our annual Polar Plunge was this morning in similar conditions. There are usually about 800 or so who take the dive into the Detroit River but I am curious if there were as many (or more!) who did this year.

The Maryland one usually has several thousand(!) willing to jump into the Chesapeake Bay in January. I couldn't find numbers, sounds like there were 2500 on the Friday schools-only plunge day. I think they actually have several shifts on Saturday because it has grown so much.

I did the 5k associated with the event this year. That's as close as I will get to a polar bear plunge.

StepbyStep-SH

Our polar plunge is in about a month, I think. No way, no how for this chica.

Little Blue

Those polar plunge folks are nuts!  Today Raleigh held the closest thing we have, the Krispy Kreme Challenge.  Not too may races held around here in 20 degrees!

Sounds like approximately zero people did it. It was actually cancelled due to extreme cold.

Dave

LRB

Sounds like approximately zero people did it. It was actually cancelled due to extreme cold.

Okay I am surprised. I wonder if Belle Isle now being a state park had anything to do with it.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Good job, boys. I, for one, would have stayed in bed...

Okay I am surprised. I wonder if Belle Isle now being a state park had anything to do with it.

I looked it up, it's not actually at Belle Isle, although it is at a state park - Milliken Park, off Atwater, between Chene Park & downtown.

Dave

LRB

I looked it up, it's not actually at Belle Isle, although it is at a state park - Milliken Park, off Atwater, between Chene Park & downtown.

Ahh okay, maybe they moved it then because for years it was on Belle Isle, or I suppose it could be a different one.

In any event I always thought they were nuts so there is that. lol

In any event I always thought they were nuts so there is that. lol

On that much we agree.

Dave