Beginners and Beyond

This deserves its own thread. (Read 482 times)

Nevrgivup

I RAN TODAY!!!! First run in 7 weeks. No pain. 3 miles easy on the TM. So happy!!! Big grin

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Just B.S.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

Runshortii

YAY!!! So happy for you!!!
        SusanRachel

Sweet!

Docket_Rocket

Yay!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Chairman

Excellent Smile. Hopefully the no pain part stays that way for a very long time. 

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

Running drunk on a treadmill will not end well.... But on the otherhand, congrats on a painless 3 mill treadmill run.

Wot? Run? I thought they said Rum!

Love the Half

I will say the same thing I said in another thread.  Patience grasshopper.  Your aerobic fitness comes back very quickly while your muscles and connective tissues take longer to get used to the pounding again.  The general rule is that it takes two weeks of gradual buildup for every week you missed.  I was out for six weeks and I think the general rule was very accurate for me.  Now is most emphatically not the time to follow a strict training plan or to register for a race.  Here's a recovery plan that will get you back to where you want to be but it is flexible.

4 weeks with nothing but easy running at 33% of your previous mileage

4 weeks with nothing but easy running at 50% of your previous mileage

4 weeks of easy running with strides at 75% of your previous mileage

This is, by far, the most dangerous time you face.  It will be incredibly easy to push things faster than you should simply because you feel good.  Just remember that it is only your aerobic system that feels good.  Your support structure needs time to catch up.  If you fail to give it that time, you'll be sidelined again.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Nevrgivup

I will say the same thing I said in another thread.  Patience grasshopper.  Your aerobic fitness comes back very quickly while your muscles and connective tissues take longer to get used to the pounding again.  The general rule is that it takes two weeks of gradual buildup for every week you missed.  I was out for six weeks and I think the general rule was very accurate for me.  Now is most emphatically not the time to follow a strict training plan or to register for a race.  Here's a recovery plan that will get you back to where you want to be but it is flexible.

4 weeks with nothing but easy running at 33% of your previous mileage

4 weeks with nothing but easy running at 50% of your previous mileage

4 weeks of easy running with strides at 75% of your previous mileage

This is, by far, the most dangerous time you face.  It will be incredibly easy to push things faster than you should simply because you feel good.  Just remember that it is only your aerobic system that feels good.  Your support structure needs time to catch up.  If you fail to give it that time, you'll be sidelined again.

Thank you LTH. These are excellent guidelines to follow. I will definitely use this to get back in the swing of things. You are exactly right in that my aerobic system is in great shape. I wasn't sucking wind at all and it was hard not to speed up. I will be a patient grasshopper. Smile

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Yay! I'm so happy for you! 

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

Supersono99

That's great! Congrats!

Mmmmm...beer

Woohoo!!!!  That's awesome.  Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

Congratulations! Cool

mucknort

happylily

Fantastic! I am so happy for you! Remember that the first weeks will be a little more labored for you, but it will all come back eventually, just like it was before you had to stop. That's the honest truth. You survived this ordeal, Hilary, now enjoy this return to a really full life! :-)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010