Beginners and Beyond

White Squirrel 5K RR (Read 57 times)

No more marathons

Finally, after almost 4 years, another 5K POM (Phat old man) PR.  This was has been awhile coming, and was put mostly on hold while I pursued my BQ.  But I broke 45 in a 10K earlier this year, and did what was mostly a time trial on the track two weeks ago in 22 flat, so I had hopes that I could get around 21 in a race.

The course is used for three local races each year, and has both a 5K and a 10K.  They changed the course a few years ago and I’ve only run the 10K version of the new course, so I did a preview of the course on Thursday after work.  I forgot the map in my car and made a wrong turn around the first mile, so my practice run missed one of the three “hills” on the course.

This was not a course where you could plan on a nice even pace.  Most of it was either up or down, very few flats.  As a result, I did not look at my watch once (and for me that is significant – I’m usually a slave to my pace) during the whole race.  The first “up” came at the half mile mark – only about 60 feet elevation climb, but in .13 miles that gives a grade of 8%.  The next climb was at the 1.5 mark, and again only 60 feet or so but the grade was 11%, and the final climb of only about 20 feet was at 2.3 miles and while short, had a grade of 6% - and coming that late in the race was particularly bothersome.

From that point, other than a little bump just before the end, it was mostly downhill and I was able to push the pace and had my best mile lap of the race.

In the back of my mind, had a goal of breaking 21, and finished at 21:01 – so on this course I’ll take that as a moral victory – and a 25 second PR dating back to July 2010.

And a final note on the accuracy of garmins on any particular day.  One gentleman that came in shortly after me (I passed him on the downhill part of the second climb) said his watch showed the course at 3.2; guess he was looking for some time consolation.  My watch said 3.03 -  looks like a good average to me.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

happylily

Anyone who can run an almost sub-21:00 5k is NOT an old man in my book. Congratulations, bluesky!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Indeed congrats!!!  That's smokin' fast!!

Randy

No more marathons

Indeed congrats!!!  That's smokin' fast!!

Thanks - just checked the age graded calculator and this is my first old man PR that has an age graded time at my real PR's back in the 80's.  I guess there is hope for us old pharts.

He's a leaker!

LRB

Cool!  It would be nice to test your fitness on a flat course, anything coming down the pike?

No more marathons

Cool!  It would be nice to test your fitness on a flat course, anything coming down the pike?

Maybe - I'm planning on running the NC State Seniors games in September.  There will be a track 5000 meter there.  If I can maintain my fitness level until then my hope would be a 20:40 to 20:45.

He's a leaker!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Congrats! You're faster than me. Smile Good job on the non-PR friendly course.

- Andrew

Love the Half

You've got an easy sub 21 on a flat course.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

B-Plus

That is damn fast for a POM.

Zelanie

Way to go, especially being able to maintain focus without getting pace feedback from your Garmin, and congrats on the old man PR!

Docket_Rocket

Congratulations!  Awesome time!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

No more marathons

Thanks all.  Now if I could just figure out how to not have my job interfere with what's really important.  Smile

He's a leaker!

That is damn fast for a POM.

^ Just this. Well done.

Dave

No more marathons

Dave P - I suspect if you ran a 5K without stringing 4 or 8 of them together, and mixed in a little of the speedwork that Babs recommends, sub 20 would be in the offering.

He's a leaker!

Dave P - I suspect if you ran a 5K without stringing 4 or 8 of them together, and mixed in a little of the speedwork that Babs recommends, sub 20 would be in the offering.

Ha, thanks! I have been surprised at how much speed you get just from building up endurance. Not sure I am ready to focus on the shorter faster stuff yet. But you are proof it can be done at an advanced age, so that gives me hope. Of course you had a quite the history to build on, I looked at your Thin Young Man PR's & they are pretty damn impressive.

Dave