Beginners and Beyond

5k Sole Challenge RR (Read 72 times)

GinnyinPA

Our local running store is sponsoring an ultra in one of the local parks this weekend - a 6/12/24 hour race.  To kick it off, they held a 5k on the same course.  I haven't done a 5k since I started running again, post stress fx, and I was curious to know whether my speed/fitness is back, so I decided to run the race this morning to find out.  I didn't expect there to be many people, since this is an inaugural race and there are at least two other races not far away today, but it turned out that a large group, also sponsored and mentored by the running store, had just finished the couch to 5k program so they were all running the 5k as a graduation of sorts.  That made me happy on two fronts:  I wasn't going to be running alone, and chances were I wasn't going to be last.  There were still only about 40 people running the 5k, but that was enough.  The group was mixed, with a few really fast runners from the local running club, several middle of the pack regulars I've seen at previous races, the group of new runners, and several kids running with their parents.  Some of them were really fast!

Last week was quite warm (88 and humid) but a cold front went through yesterday, dropping temperatures and creating a brisk wind.  It was 45 degrees with 15 mile winds when the race started.  I had done a one mile slow warmup, so I was happy to take off my jacket, but a few of the runners kept on their warm clothes -- only to drop them later along the course.  We had ankle chips, a first for me.  All the races I've done before just had tear off bibs, so I had to ask what to do with the strap.  I wasn't the only one.  The course is a paved loop trail through the park, past picnic pavilions, a dog park and several soccer fields -- all out in the open.  (I'm sure the ultra runners were happy for the cooler temps as there is no shade anywhere along the course.)  It's a park where we walk the dog fairly often, though I've only run there once.  We climbed one hill that was about 62' over half a mile - not steep but noticeable.  The wind was in my face the whole way up the hill, of course.  The upside to that was I had the wind at my back on the long downhill back to the starting line.  I felt like I was flying.  Then we looped around and got to do it again.  I was passed by the frontrunners coming the other way as I turned to go up the hill the second time, then I got to wave at some of the slower runners when I reached the junction on my way down.  I ran most of the race by myself.  I had passed several people in the beginning and on the first hill and was passed by a few, but after the first 1/2 mile we spread out and I had the path mostly to myself.  A mother and son were just ahead and the boy and I played leapfrog.  He'd race ahead, then stop to breathe, then race ahead whenever I caught up.  I think he didn't want to get passed by the old lady ;-)

My strategy was my usual:  head out as hard as I thought I could hold, so that I was breathing hard the whole way, but not breathless.  When I caught myself feeling too comfortable, I'd speed up.  It worked.  My previous 5ks were 30:12 and 28:08.  Today, after almost 7 months of running post injury, I ran 27:06.  I might have beaten 27:00 if I hadn't had to tie a shoe half way.

Splits were 8:39, 8:43 and 8:40, with 8:37 for the last .12, (average of 8:41) so remarkably even.  I didn't look at my watch at all while I was running, because I wanted to run by feel, not by computer, and that seems to have worked.

After the race they had water, coffee, fruit and donuts.  The fruit tasted really good, as we stood around cheering in the other runners.  I spent a few minutes talking to a woman doing the 24 hour race about her strategy, food, etc.  then headed out to the woods for a short hike with my husband and the dog, who had both been waiting patiently for me to finish.  It was a good morning.

All in all, it was a good event.  The course is fun to run, as long as it isn't too hot and the group was enthusiastic.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang, you had to do that hill twice with the wind in your face?  And you finished in 27:06?  Congrats on your 5K, speedy!  Darn those dang shoes that come untied during a race!  I usually TRIPLE-knot my laces, lol.

Way to go on your 5K, you did great!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Hip Redux

Running by feel was a real help to me too - sometimes in a 5k, you can psyche yourself out!   So it sounds like that was  PR for you?   Great job!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Awesome run!  That must be exciting to find that your fitness is back to about where you were before, if not actually a little better.  It sounded like you did a good job of just accepting the conditions and racing the best race you could.  That's not always easy to do.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Well done, Ginny. It has been cool watching you improve! Next time, leave your shoe alone! Wink

Way to go Ginny!

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Docket_Rocket

Congrats on the huge PR, especially after your injury!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

I considered ignoring the shoelace, but with my luck, I'd have done a header and been worse off.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Congratulations!

happylily

Awesome improvement! Congratulations, Ginny!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

hog4life

Congrats Ginny on the PR! Your splits are really good.

Coastal

Awesome job!   And you ran by feel, too.

Rondog65

Enjoyed the RR, sounds like a great race and congrats on the PR.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Zelanie

A PR and beautiful splits!  Welcome back to racing! Smile

LRB

Honey child you need to learn how to tie the reef knot pronto!

Congrats on your first race back!  Seems it's been forever since you first posted your issue on the BF, but now here you are back and better than ever!