Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins Go Round and Round (Read 26 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!).

National Carousel (Merry-Go-Round) Day!

on my way to badass

Morning Penguins! DP is 51F today! This is why we live in the NE.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

PADRunner

Morning! 4 done.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning PAD and SF.  3 miles for us this morning.  Ready for tomorrow's 10K.  By far our biggest race with 15,000 signed up.  Going to be warm, humid, and rainy, so it looks like we will get wet.  Hope we can park close by.

Have a great weekend.

ps: enjoy SF Mr and Mrs Docket.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

helluva last 24 hours.  Went to work yesterday, about 10 a.m. started getting chills, sweats,puked etc.  Went home from work early.   Dinner was a cup of broth.    Went to bed around  8 pm and slept through until 6 a.m.   SWEATED like crazy, all my sheets and blankets are soaked through.  Do feel a little better today, but am staying home taking it easy, and slowly nursing my stomach back to normal with light foods like crackers, jello, etc.   Will probably sleep a lot again today, napping off and on in my chair.  Hopefully by tomorrow I will be feeling much better as I am tentatively going in the morning to the Riverwalk to FE with Sly Moon who is visiting San Antonio.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Good morning Penguinos!!  I mostly enjoyed yesterday's downpour -- my feet got completely soaked (which happens when you trudge through 3-inch deep puddles in sandals), so I drove home barefoot.  But it was nice and cool after the rain, so we got to sleep with our windows open last night!  Apparently it's a nice weekend coming, because the parking deck at work was pretty empty when I got here.  Lots of folks taking the day off!  I've got a 35-minute walk on tap for tonight, woo-hoo!

Stone -- enjoy the lovely weather!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 4!!

Jerry -- enjoy the big race!!  They're fun if you don't take them too seriously.

scotty -- wow, sounds like no fun at all!!  Food poisoning?  Hope the Riverwalk FE works out!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

obiebyke

Good morning!

Scotty, ick. I hope you feel better.

I did get out for my 4 yesterday, but it turned into a run/walk again.  My main conclusion: I'm not listening to my body. Easy runs are supposed to be easy, right? So why am I going into it with a pace in mind? My runner's knee is also a thing in both knees, so I did a little much-needed PT. RD today. Wondering if I should call tomorrow a RD, too, for my knees' sake. What do you think?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

SF: No run today?

PAD: Good work on the four.

Jerry: That is one BIG 10K!

Scotty: I hope you feel better and say "Hi" to Sly for me.

HsM: Enjoy the walk and the rain.

Obie: Rest today and try a few miles tomorrow, but go SUPER easy! Remember, easy pace is conversational pace. Leave the watch at home and don't worry about pace.

5.4 miles done for me.

Bin Running

Getter better, Scotty.

Damaris, enjoy SF.

5M done in the morning. I am reintroducing music back to my run in easy days. Hope it helps.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Singer who runs a smidge

I did get out for my 4 yesterday, but it turned into a run/walk again.  My main conclusion: I'm not listening to my body. Easy runs are supposed to be easy, right? So why am I going into it with a pace in mind? My runner's knee is also a thing in both knees, so I did a little much-needed PT. RD today. Wondering if I should call tomorrow a RD, too, for my knees' sake. What do you think?

Ice your knees!  15 minutes every morning and every evening, and they will bless you.  Do it today and I bet you'll make it out the door tomorrow.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I want to run today, so maybe 4 after work.

I'll be back later.  Just made it out of court and I'm swamped this afternoon.  Vacation, though a mini one and spent running a marathon and not sleeping, will be better than this week.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning!

Scotty, ick. I hope you feel better.

What PT did you do, OB?  I'm still looking for a solution too.  I've been doing more leg machines at the health club and a few extra RD's wasting some perfect running weather.   I think I will go see the PT at the club for an evaluation/advice.

Anyway, we did a slow 3 and I'm icing them now.

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, I just got the notice that my new printer is up in the stockroom.  Woo-hoo!!  I'll go up and get it after lunch and after my undergrad leaves, and then I'll see if I can hook it up myself or if I need the IT guys to come around.  I suspect, since I don't have admin privileges, that they'll have to do it for me.

From the Internet.

Hi pens! 10 mile race tonight with a bunch of my fellow running club members - very excited, little anxious; I'm not a big afternoon runner, but I've gone out on short runs the past couple afternoons just to know what to expect. Not planning to run hard, just want to finish and get to the seafood festival and beer at the end Big grin After the race I will have just over 93 miles done for July, as long as I run more than 5 between tomorrow and the 31st it will be a record mileage month for me!

From the Internet.

Obie, I second Jack's suggestion to try a short run tomorrow but leave the watch at home (or take another RD and run watchless on Sunday). I leave my watch at home once in a while and it's so much easier to run by feel when you're not checking up on your pace every few minutes.