Beginners and Beyond

Race Report w/Photos: SNIPSA Race For The Rescues Doggie 5K (Read 35 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

Race #53 for me for 2013.  This one was for SNIPSA, which means Spay-Neuter-Inject-Protect San Antonio.  All funds for the race went for their program, including helping pay for any medical treatments needed by dogs, such as ones who had been abused, etc. We had pleasant mornings during the week and then Race Day came and - WHAM!  VERY humid - nearly 100%, as thunderstorms were threatening - dewpoint over 70, very 'sauna-like' feeling and no breeze to help cool things off.  Ugg.  There was a 5K run with no dogs, 5K  run with dogs, and a 5K walk for anyone who wanted to walk.  I did 5K with No Dog and sure not set any speed records for this one, finished in a slow 36:54, doing barely under 12 min miles.  I guess a lot of people were feeling the humidity too, because I ended up 11th out of 23 in my age group.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS - LOTS of Photos

Sorry about the quality of some of the photos.  As said, it was VERY humid and so, as a fat guy, I sweated CONSIDERABLY.  At times I forgot to wipe my lens before taking the photos.  I think most of them turned out fairly okay, though.

Before the Start

I thought the start time was 8 a.m., so got there around 7 a.m., and it was still a little dark when I arrived at the race area.   I then found out the start time was 8:20.  Dang, I could've slept in another 20 minutes!  Oh well.  Wandered around and got some pre-start photos.

A few 'mascots" were there, and I got a couple photos with them

Our DJ and announcer

The 'water pools' ready for the doggies

Wow, these are some BIG doggies!

Our traffic control police officers out there for us.  Thanks for your service!

My very speedy running acquaintance, Gary, who ended up winning the 5K No Dogs.  At my pace, I see him at local races before the start and after the finish...never on course, lol.

One of my 'running crushes" ....and my 2-legged friend, Karin, is pretty nice too. Joking

Getting ready to go...those in front of me and those behind me at the start area

On The Course

The course was described in the entry form as "mildly challenging hills", as it was done in a local area called Alamo Heights.   Uh huh, on this humid day, they felt a bit more than 'mildly challenging", lol.

A couple of typical "Alamo Heights" residences we passed along the way.  Alamo Heights - a very pretty  and affluent area, by the way- has a zip code of 78209 and people who live here are locally known in San Antonio as "Oh-Niners".

After The Race

Yeah, I felt like doing this myself after I finished!

There was also a long line for the free Shave Ice post-race

A couple of our lovely volunteers

Those who got medals got an award in the shape of a paw print

EPILOG

A fun event in spite of the humidity, and the rain did hold off for us.  Altho it probably would have been nice to have been rained on a little in that mugginess.  Post race goodies were low key - fruit, water, shave ice - but that's okay because the majority of funding went toward care of the animals and not goodies, which is fine with me.  A pretty nice turn-out too, about 400 - 500 people - especially considering there were 3 other 5Ks in San Antonio on that day, and one in San Marcos, which is about 45 minutes from  San Antonio.  In spite of the "mildly challenging hills" course Joking - this event continues to be one of my favorites year after year.

FYI - SNIPSA website:  http://www.snipsa.org/SNI/Home

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Love the smiling Texans.  Nice event, Scott.

Zelanie

I'm surprised so many people were brave enough to dress up as mascots with a name like "SNIPSA"! Shocked

Sounds like a good race, love all the different dogs!  And I think you got your hill workout done for the week!

Antipodean

The dogs in the dog 'pools' just cracked me up! Thanks for sharing.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Hip Redux

Yay, puppies!!

That neighborhood looks crazy hilly - usually you can't get the hill perspective on a photo, but you could with those!

Nice job, Scotty Smile

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Very cool!

Thanks for helping the doggies!

GinnyinPA

Looks like there were more people running with dogs than without.  Looks like a fun event, and definitely a good cause.  The mascots in their costumes must have been horrendously hot.

So would it have been cheating for runners to ride the largest dogs or carry the small ones? Smile

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

So would it have been cheating for runners to ride the largest dogs or carry the small ones? Smile

I'll tell you what, about Mile 2 or so I was looking for that big Mastiff dog, lol, to carry me to the finish... Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

TakeAHike

Nicely done Scotty. That looks like a fun race despite the heat and humidity.  I love the pics of the dogs in the baby pools.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

SheCan

Another Doggy race!  Great job, and congrats on race 53!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I love the dogs in the pools...lol  They look so happy.  My dog hates being in water though.  I'm really surprised you didn't run with the dogs.  I'm sure someone would have loaned you a dog.  Great job on another race.  I know you picked up the pace on the next day!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Looks like a great race... LOVE all the doggie photos!!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Great report for a great cause!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good job in the humidity and hills. I guess they are right when they say everything's bigger in Texas - some of those dogs were as big as horses Big grin!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!