Beginners and Beyond

New ligament discovered in the knee (Read 81 times)

Hip Redux

The "ALL" - the previously unknown knee ligament.

...the Belgian doctors are the first to identify the previously unknown ligament after a broad cadaver study using macroscopic dissection techniques. Their research shows that the ligament, which was given the name anterolateral ligament (ALL), is present in 97 per cent of all human knees. Subsequent research shows that pivot shift, the giving way of the knee in patients with an ACL tear, is caused by an injury in the ALL ligament.

This seems amazing to me.   2013 and we're discovering new body parts!

delicate flower

Weird.  With all the knee surgeries, knee replacements, xrays, and MRI's that have been performed (millions, maybe?), no doctor has ever noticed this ligament before?

<3

Hip Redux

And in the picture, it's RIGHT THERE.  Not like it's hidden or anything!

happylily

Why would 3% of the population not have this ligament? How do they function without it?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, it's good that French doctors discovered it.  So now the French Army will be able to turn even more quickly and retreat without hurting their knees.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

Well, it's good that French doctors discovered it.  So now the French Army will be able to turn even more quickly and retreat without hurting their knees.

Belgian doctors are not French, Scotty. French speaking, maybe, but not French! You would be insulting both sides if you told them that they are the same. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Belgian doctors are not French, Scotty. French speaking, maybe, but not French! You would be insulting both sides if you told them that they are the same. Big grin

Oh..okay....sorry about that....so they can fix your leg and give you waffles while you're recovering....nice!  Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Oh..okay....sorry about that....so they can fix your leg and give you waffles while you're recovering....nice!  Big grin

FTW!

Little Blue

Weird.  With all the knee surgeries, knee replacements, xrays, and MRI's that have been performed (millions, maybe?), no doctor has ever noticed this ligament before?

My thoughts exactly.

LRB

I would like to hear what Dr. James Andrews, who has performed dozens if not hundreds of ACL/MCL repairs on million dollar athletes thinks about this.  Further, RGlll's knee gave way when he re-injured it last season.  He had previously torn one of those ligaments and could be subject to another episode if this is true.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Somewhere there's a man or woman saying, "I pointed that out to my professor 10 years ago, when we dissected that damn cadaver!".

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Awwh man Oski.......I meant to post this yesterday.

In fact, I was going to say if there's a specific place in my left knee (and I believe that's a left knee cadaver pic) then that EXACT place is where my knee hurts.....(aside from general ache).

My doc's gonna look at my knee tomorrow.  I'm gonna tell him he could probably start by looking at the ALL & see if he catches it.  Wink

Randy

Hip Redux

Glad you are seeing the doc!   You can tell him all about the ALL if he doesn't know it exists (also - ask him how the eff he missed it before)