Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins Run (Read 20 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

National Haiku Poetry Day!

Penguins on the run
    It's a Monday run day too
    Penguins run for fun

PADRunner

Well it's actually a rest  day for me today but that didn't fit.

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  RD for me as well as I have a dinner right after work and will have no time to run afterwards.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

2014in2014 finals are over, so I'm resting today and maybe even tomorrow too. 38.25 miles last week, very much a record for me Big grin Hopefully in a couple of months that will be the norm and not the high!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

RD for me today too.  Although the university is pretty much shut down for the next 2 weeks, I am working today to get a few extra 'comp time' hours..never know when they will come in handy!   Had a nice run/walk yesterday in a local park, 3.2 miles done on some trails...and found a new trail in the park I had not explored yet, so had fun doing that.   All in all - except for the Damn Dallas Cowboys winning their game yesterday, and it looked to me like the Colts were throwing the darn game, the way they played - I had a pretty nice weekend, except for being sick on Saturday morning.

And as for today's Penguin title....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Yea, how bout them Cowboys!

obiebyke

Hi guys!

Congrats, Lauren. You're a beast.

I'm planning to do 30 minutes later, although the rainy 30s weather isn't exactly calling to me. But I'm on vacation! Who cares?!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hey all!  Happy Monday!

My run to the race, race, run back from the race plan didn't work yesterday.  First of all I had tummy troubles in the morning - apparently thai leftovers for breakfast, very spicy chinese food for lunch, and cookies for dinner are not the ideal pre-race day diet.  So I got out the door much later than expected.  Instead of running at a 12:30 pace to the race, I ran at an 11:00 pace to get there on time.  I got there at 9:51 for a race that was supposed to start at 10am.  I used the potty and went to line up.  Then the race started over 20 minutes late.  In the meantime, I was shivering since I didn't wear very much - my plan was to basically be running continuously with just 10 minutes to wait before the start.  My friend went completely beast mode on the race and had me running at a 10:28 pace for the 10k instead of the 11:30-12:00 pace that I was expecting :-)  She's new to running and I didn't know that she could maintain that pace over that distance.  Heck - she normally runs her "streak" runs at around a 12 minute pace, and her longer runs at 13 minutes or more.  In previous races the best pace she's hit was 10:50.  After running at that pace for the 10k I decided to take mass transit home (also was worried about more tummy troubles).  Thankfully I didn't have any issues during the race itself.

Today will be a streak day for me.  This week will be a cutback week for sure.  I hit 30.6 miles last week - my first time breaking 30 miles in a week.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Hi guys.  With work and our exchange student and DD having some projects heading into break, last week was nuts.  I decided to do the best I could in those areas of life, and let running slip for a few days.  It was still super busy!  In any case, my mini-cutback week led to me feeling fresh enough on Saturday that I did my first speed workout since August.  It was just 6 x 400, but a couple of weeks ago when I tried it, I couldn't even hold pace for longer than 100m, so it felt really good.

Now I'm super sore, though!  I haven't used those muscles in a while!  It's hard to believe that my marathon program started with 12 x 400, and now half of that is kicking my butt.    But at least I know I can run at that pace again.  That's not how I felt a few weeks ago.

The plan is to get out and run 6 pretty soon.  Maybe I will wimp out and have breakfast and wrap some presents first, though.  How have you guys been?

Zelanie

Brilliant, love the Balboa Island pic!  We have family there, so generally go every year, although this year we didn't make it.  I've never been during this time of year, though.

Lauren- Congrats on your big week and getting though the finals!  I have to say, I'm kind of glad that wasn't me this year, but it sure was fun last year.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Brilliant, love the Balboa Island pic!  We have family there, so generally go every year, although this year we didn't make it.  I've never been during this time of year, though.

Lauren- Congrats on your big week and getting though the finals!  I have to say, I'm kind of glad that wasn't me this year, but it sure was fun last year.

What Balboa Island pic? Now I want a frozen banana!

Hi Pens. I am taking a RD after yesterday's HM but I am going for a nice massage. I'm sure it will hurt so good. He usually brings tears to my eyes but my legs sure feel better when he's done.

Have a good day.

Brilliant

What Balboa Island pic? Now I want a frozen banana!

In this weekend's thread.  One house was decorated with cute penguins.

There's always money in the banana stand. Wink

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Shaddup!   

All I want for the holiday season is for the Cowboys to get knocked out of the playoffs in the first round!

Yea, how bout them Cowboys!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

obiebyke

sapf, that sounds like quite the day. Oof!

I lost track of time and ran 32 minutes in the cold rain. Ew. I'd rather it be 20 degrees colder and snowing.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

2 miles in the rain.  Kept the streak going.