Beginners and Beyond

March is DVT Awareness Month (Read 67 times)

Mr Pink

I suffered a bilateral pulmonary embolism on 2/1/2013. I had early warning signs about 2 weeks before by PE, but I did not recognize the symptoms. I even made a trip to my primary doctor during this time, and he also missed the symptoms. This seems very common when it comes to young, healthy individuals.

This is an attempt to raise awareness about DVT/PE. Early detection and treatment can mean the difference between life and death. I encourage everyone to take some time to familiarize yourselves with the symptoms of DVT/PE by following the link below. I think it outlines symptoms, risk factors and treatments quite well, and is well worth the 5 minutes it takes to read through it.

http://www.clotconnect.org/about-clot-connect/news/march-is-dvt-awareness-month

I posted in the health and nutrition forum, but I know this forum is pretty active so please forgive me re-posting here.

Little Blue

Following Al

Scary stuff.  Thanks for posting this.

Scary, Mr Pink.   Hopefully you have no long term effects from it and are fully recovered.  Thanks for raising awareness about this.

happylily

Thank you for sharing the information. I hope you have everything under control now and that your life is back to its normal self. I had a blood clot myself 4 years ago, which caused some unpleasant incident for me in the middle of a race. I know just how scary it is...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

4 years racing, 16 marathons, 16 BQs     

Bad Ass

Sorry to hear that, Mr. Pink.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thanks for bringing awareness and for posting the link.  Get well.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

thank you for sharing!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

RSX

I wish you a speedy recovery also, and thanks for making us aware. I love the Mr. Pink dialogue scene in the movie. Your avatar makes me smile when I see it.

Mr Pink

Thanks to everyone for your kind words. My recovery has been going very well, and with any luck I'll be strapping my running shoes back within a week or so. Lily I remember reading a story about your clot back around the time I started hanging out on RW forums. It's definitely scary, and I'm thankful to be here.

"I don't tip. I don't believe in it." -- Mr Pink