Beginners and Beyond

Yowser: One dead, 30 hospitalized after half marathon (Read 240 times)

BenTN

Country Music (Nashville RnR) in 2009 started at 75 and went quickly into the 90's. The one death was a solider from Ft. Campbell who collapsed after finishing the Half.

Maybe it's the effort level of the half vs. the full. Or in the half you think you can hold pace but you know you have to slow way down in the marathon.

That was my 2nd full and is my PW.

Love the Half

My only explanation for people thinking they can hold a goal pace in a half marathon in hot weather is inexperience.  I have crashed fairly hard on a few tempo runs so I know that I can't even hold tempo pace for longer than a few miles in hot weather.  I will say that the crash happens fairly suddenly.  One minute I was running near my tempo pace albeit I was hot and literally over the span of a block or two, I felt as if I had suddenly run three times as far and I was reduced to walking.  I run a hot race on Labor Day weekend every year but by that time, I'm well acclimated.  Still, I wonder if I wouldn't be tempted to push things on race day.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Sad turn of events.  I'd be interested in hearing some statistics on the pathophysiology behind it all.  There are tragic lessons to be learned behind these when they happen.

BenTN

My only explanation for people thinking they can hold a goal pace in a half marathon in hot weather is inexperience.  I have crashed fairly hard on a few tempo runs so I know that I can't even hold tempo pace for longer than a few miles in hot weather.  I will say that the crash happens fairly suddenly.  One minute I was running near my tempo pace albeit I was hot and literally over the span of a block or two, I felt as if I had suddenly run three times as far and I was reduced to walking.  I run a hot race on Labor Day weekend every year but by that time, I'm well acclimated.  Still, I wonder if I wouldn't be tempted to push things on race day.

I agree and it's only two data points but here and at CMM they were soldiers. It makes me wonder if their mindset was to tough it out.