Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's TuesDAILY It's an Early Hump Day (Read 27 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning and Happy Hump Day, Peeps !!!  3 mile walk yesterday.  Mile run today since hip feels good.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy July 2nd!  Today's 'bizarre" holidays:

UFO Day

"I Forgot" Day

forgot cartoons, forgot cartoon, forgot picture, forgot pictures, forgot image, forgot images, forgot illustration, forgot illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Should have gotten up and run this morning, it is more like a Fall day for us this morning than summer!  63 degrees right now, the air crisp and cool, feels great.  However, I did not even hear my alarm go off this morning, so got a late start.  Guess I needed the rest.  So I will run after work today and the weather will still be behaving for us, our high temp today will only be 90 degrees, sweeeet!    Damaris, you should move down here so you get some of this nice weather on occasion, get away from all that Miami stuff.   Sure, we have problems like any city -  crime zones in some parts of the city, pretty crowded in places, traffic, etc. - but overall San Antonio is a pretty nice place with fairly good weather all year round, and lots of running areas and races here.  And you get two cities for one, with Austin being only an hour away from us.

My drive to work this morning was both nice and bizarre.  Nice cuz I drove with the windows rolled down and enjoyed all that fresh air.  Bizarre because for quite a while I was the only one on the road.  Very weird in a city of 1.2 million people, usually our roads are always pretty crowded.  For a while, lol, I felt like  was in a Twilight Zone episode where everyone had vanished off the earth except me.   Guess a lot of people are taking off because of the holiday this week, giving themselves extra time off.    I can relate.  Today is my "Friday" I am off all the rest of the week after today!

Good luck with the mile run Jerry, hope your hip behaves!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  7 or 10 miles depending on what I decide to do for Thursday (race or not).  My stomach is bad, therefore my asthma is through the roof.  I hate days like this.

Jerry, good luck with the run.

Scotty, my husband does not need convincing to move to SA.  I need convincing since it's TX, ha!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Jerry, hope the mile hip test pass.

Scotty, SA definitely looks like a great place with all the races and gorgeous place you get to run.

Damaris, sorry abt the stomach and asthma.

8M with very easy pace. Cranked up to 9MM on last 1.5 and felt good. Air is still improving.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

7 miles done this morning.  77* dew point makes for an obscene amount of sweat! lol

Awood, I think you mentioned yesterday about laundry, that's a big reason why I've stopped wearing a shirt, no need to make more laundry. Smile  Plus it definitely helps stay a lil cooler and no chafing.  The fact that it's dark and no one can see me is nice too. lol

Hope everyone has a great day today!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

tracilynn

Jerry, did you make an appt for your hip or are you just gonna rest it out?

Scotty, we have had lower temps/humidity in AL as well and its been so nice!

Damaris, sorry to hear abou the stomach and asthma issues

Bin,  good to hear the air quality is improving.  I saw your grilling pic on FB.  Was that rock lobster you were grilling? Yum.  It also looked like you were grilling in a banana plantation with all the banana trees around you.  Very pretty and tropical.

Dave, 77 dp is rough!

That reminds me, those of you asking about jimmy black, he is on vacation at the beach right now.

Awood,  I agree with you on lev 2 of the shred is the toughest.  Lev 3 is My favorite.  I cant do "jumping lunges" very well, I do the wimpy version of most of those.  Ha.

I love summer.  i stopped at a roadside fruit/veg stand and bought some locally grown peaches and a huge canteloupe.  The melon was the best Ive ever had.  So good.

I will be running tonight.  Prob 3 miles with last 1/2 mile barefoot.  Taking the 3 little ones to the pool todayCool

~~~~~~~

Traci

Bin Running

Traci, those are slipper lobster. Not sure do you call them rock lobster in US. I'm BBQing, not grilling. Awood take offend to that. Hee. Seem like you are having it good running barefoot.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

So....if I oversleep my run but dream about running during that time, it counts right? oy.  Well I don't have my evening job today so should be able to make it up after work...

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

Doing something at the gym today, not totally sure what yet - I'd been lifting heavy while resting/recovering from shin splints, but it has proven to be too much for me to try to keep up with both lifting and running at the same time. I don't want to cut out strength work altogether but I need to find a program that'll complement building up mileage rather than compete with it.

So in early May I started having some posterior shin splint-type pain and switched from practically-brand-new Mizuno Wave Inspire 9s to a pair Elixir 7s that I impulse-bought from Amazon. Walked around in my Inspire 9s this morning with the hope that I could maybe rotate them in occasionally since I can't return them anymore, but I think they are just way too stable for me to use :c Wish I'd just gone with the Elixirs right off the bat, I now own 4 pairs of running shoes but can only actually run in one of them!

Zelanie

Morning!  Taking a RD here and hopefully catching up on some around the house type things.

Jerry- Good luck with the run!

Scotty- Happy "Friday" to you!

D- NPR is doing some stories this week on how Texas is changing and gradually becoming more diverse, liberal, etc.   Certainly not the Texas I remember from growing up!

Bin- Nice run!

D2- I'd venture to say that since our heat wave started a few days ago, I see more guys running without shirts than with.  And I saw my first sports-bra-only female runner, too.  Me?  I still haven't even bought that tank top I said I would finally be brave enough to wear out.  Maybe the next time I'm near an Old Navy.

Traci- Mmm, peaches and melon!  Hope your run goes well tonight!

kristin- Good luck getting the run in later!

Lauren- That sounds really frustrating with the shoes!  They are too expensive to have without a use for them!  As far as the gym, might I suggest hips/quads/glutes/core?  That will complement running. Smile  I am going to do stuff that helps me run if I'm doing strength work.  Of course, that's probably why I have Spongebob arms.  Oh well!

Docket_Rocket

Z, I have been hearing those.  funny how people do not remember TX was a strong democrat stronghold.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Hello, Penguins!!  I had a dentist appointment this morning, so I got to sleep in a bit, deal with the necessary evil that is dental cleaning, and then I made it in to work at 1:00.  Crazy stuff!  I thought about just taking the day, but since I'll be off on Thursday, I thought I should get some stuff done today.

Rock on, y'all!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

I had my yearly physical this morning ("turn your head and cough... just relax.) so it kind of put the kibosh on my morning run. If it gets cooler tonight, I suppose I will go out then. Getting jabbed, poked, and probed has a tendency to take one's mind off of the usual routine. If I don't go out tonight it's a USRD for me.