Beginners and Beyond

hog's Half Marathon RR (Read 57 times)

hog4life

Short and sweet; sub 2 was achieved, the actual time is debatable.

Longer

This was my 11th half, and the 3rd time running this local race called the Huntsville Half Marathon. It's in Huntsville, Alabama and this was the 26th consecutive year. It's a cheap race at just $26 if you register early, and only has two price increases of $10 each time, so $46 is you wait till the last minute. The proceeds from this race are used for several different organizations that help the veterans that have served our country, so it's for a great cause. Thank you, to all who have served. And to those currently serving.

My training has been a little lack luster, if you will. In other words, it hasn't really been training at all, but more just running. I wouldn't call them all junk miles, but a big portion of them have been. I've tried to throw in at least one day per week with some sort of speed work, nothing real structured, just a few strides here and there, a few tempo miles, or some fast finishes. IMO, the longer tempo runs are a key in obtaining the speed and endurance to hold the faster paces for longer periods of time. I've also tried to keep my LR in the double digit range. I posted a little of this in my 10k RR from last weekend.

My only real goal for this race was to get a sub 2. Up until today, just 3 of my previous halves were less than 2 hours, with the other 7 being in the 2:01-2:08 range. I wanted to start around a 9:00 pace, and was hopeful that I wouldn't fade too much to loose the sub 2.

The race starts on a small 2 lane road, where 2 porta-potties are stationed. There are a whole bunch more over near the finish line, but as we neared the starting time, I didn't want to walk the few hundred yards over there, so I got in line. As we got closer to the start, the line was moving quite slowly, I debated just to run over and pee in a bush, but didn't. The opening comments were made, 12 people in front of me. The opening prayer was said, about 8 people in front of me. The National Anthem was sung, about 4 people in front of me......Crap, this is going to be close, and I really have to pee. These are the same porta-potties that are at the 2.5 mile mark, because you make a loop and then pass right back by here, but I couldn't wait that long. Ever been hydrating like there's no water left in sight? Well this was me, and I was dealing with the consequences. I bet I went to the bathroom at least 6 or 7 times in the last 1.5 hours leading up to this point. Okay, back to the suspense, the gun goes off, 1 person in front of me. The pack starts moving, and I finally get in. It was a chip timed event, so I new my time would start when I crossed the mat. As I came out, I must have been one of the last 30 people or so. I was a little concerned at how crowded it might be as I started passing people.

I was completely satisfied with this run, except for the fact that I had the numb foot thing, AGAIN! WTF! I stopped at mile 5 to adjust shoes and socks. When this happens, I just chock it up as a day that I had to fool with my socks. No big deal.

Splits are

8:45

8:40

8:44

8:39

9:57(sock)

8:17

8:38

8:40

9:20(took a long GU and water walk, checked OA pace and still good for sub 2)

8:38

8:41

9:26(mental fatigue, took a short walk, still good for sub 2)

8:41

9:03

Now the debatable time. When I crossed the finish line the clock was 1:58:07, but when I stopped my Garmin, I had 1:56:59, but 13.19 miles. After the results were posted, the timing folks said they had an issue with the chips, so they posted the gun time as everyone's official time. Kind of sucks, but I got my sub 2 either way. I'll put up some pictures when they get them up. I found out from a FB post after I done this report, that the magnetic strip was attached to the bibs vertically, instead of horizontally. they think this is what caused the issue.

I got to run with Traci again, and she did great  too.I'll let her tell you about it.

Thanks for reading,

Mitch

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your sub-2, Mitch!

Gee, too bad for we old-guy runners they don't make Depends running underwear, huh? 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Robert31320

Team TJ

Nice run, Mitch!  Hope you get the numb foot business figured out soon.

Running for TJ because he can't.

PADRunner

Great race! Sorry about the timing problems. My feet go numb a lot on longer runs.

Cyberic

That's great Mitch! Glad you could make it sub-2!

delicate flower

Great job on the sub 2:00 and I enjoyed the portapotty line report!  

<3

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on making sub-2, despite the late start and sock issue.  Next time, walk the extra 100 yards to the empty POPs;-)  Frustrating about the timing chips.

Little Blue

Nicely done, despite the hitches.  Sucks about the chip timing, but what can you do?  At Marshall last year, the new RD didn't allow enough time to get the start mat down.  Instead of delay the start, they did without.  Everyone got gun time.    Not really that big a deal in the scheme of things, but it's annoying.

And I think I'd drive to Huntsville for a $26 race!

Love the Half

That's great to be able to get in a race for a reasonable price.  The cost of a lot of half marathons these days is flat out ridiculous.  Congrats on getting under 2:00.  I know how good that feels.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

After reading your comments at the pre-race, I really had to pee. Well done on the sub 2 and with the time you're putting in you will be soon sub 1:55.

Docket_Rocket

Sorry about the screw up with the chip time, but congrats on the Sub 2!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

You really crushed your goal, Mitch. Congratulations! If 1:58:07 is gun time and you were amongst the last ones to cross, there is no doubt that your chip time was 1:56. It's upsetting that they are using gun time as official time, but you know what you ran and that's what matters. Just two porta-potties at the start? That is CRAZY! My worst nightmare... For someone whose training hasn't been at its best recently, you did exceptionally well and I'm greatly impressed! Bravo!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

When I crossed the finish line the clock was 1:58:07, but when I stopped my Garmin, I had 1:56:59, but 13.19 miles.

Let's call it 1:57:00. 

Nice job Mitch!  You have run a crap ton of half marathons, how long have you been running?

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on <2:00, Mitch.  Sounds like you are on the same Random training plan as me.  Sorry about the chip and pop issues.

RabbitChaser

Great job Mitch! Congrats on getting your sub-2:00 goal. It sucks that there was an issue with the timing chip. I agree with Rich, just call it 1:57!

Eric