Beginners and Beyond

Twinkle Toes Tuesday Penguins (Read 35 times)

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." Wink It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

I hope everyone likes my motivational penguin on the starting post. I found him cute and inspirational. Big grin

MY PT SESSION YESTERDAY:

20 Pushups
      Run 140 yards while holding a 6 lbs medicine ball over my head
      20 Situps
      20 Squats
      20 Pullups
      10 Burpees
      **Repeat the entire workout 3 times**

This was definitely a challenging workout. At least this time I didn't have any knee pain afterwards, but I did take an Aleve before PTing too, which might have helped out as well.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Dad on the run.

TSTS - You do some crazy workouts. I'm lucky to get my runs in much less all that other stuff. Keep up the good work.

AFM - Almost time to go home and then its too bed. Hope to get some miles in today when I get up. Maybe shoot for 4 or 5.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning colony!

Rach - that 6# medicine ball must become quite a cursed object!

jlackjr - hopefully you will get your miles in!

kristin10185 -  yesterday you asked about Vo2 max workouts. They are interval workouts where you do short, intense workouts followed by a rest period and then repeat. Two examples of what I do for 5K training are:

1) 5 x 1000 meter at 3K pace with 120 second rests

2) 3 x 1 mile at 5K pace with 120 second rests.

At yesterdays bike interval I did 4 x 1 minute at a level 10 effort with 1 minute rest. I did 3 sets of these with 4 minute rest between sets.

In all "rest" is active meaning you are still moving at your easy pace

I hope the above makes sense.

As for me yesterday was my 1.75 mile run, Vo2 max bike workout, myrtle, and core. Today will hopefully be legs and abs at the gym and then a lactate threshold workout on the bike trainer.

Abiento!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Motivational Penguin rocks!

I've got some good warm up and tempo miles on schedule tonight.  Total will be about 8 miles.  I think I'm going to finish up the month with somewhere between 150-160 miles.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Rachel love the motivational penguin. And wow your workouts are intense!

Jblack enjoy your miles later

Gustav good to see you running again. Thanks for clearing up the vo2 max.

Enjoy your miles too Awood!

AFM- just got back from the gym. I got a late start so I had to do a shorter workout than I would have liked, so I did 22 minutes on the elliptical, squats, a few hip exercises, planks, calf raises and stretched. I plan to do more hip and ab stuff in my apartment after work, just didn't have time at the gym.

Have a great day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have a recovery run tonight with the running group.

Busy day today, so I gotta go.

Behave!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

His Slowness

Good morning Penguins.  I've missed you all.  You help keep me motivated and on task.  Work has been a zoo for the last few weeks and I've pretty much been in survival mode.  I  have gotten in a few runs but have been off my regular schedule.  I usually do MWF and something on the weekend but lately it's been whenever.  I'm hoping to get back to normal now that things have quieted down a little.  I think I need the regular routine to keep me honest. I got in a 3.1 mile stroll this morning in the nice breezy warmth here in N. Alabama.  I think it was 55 degrees when I hit the road just before 5:00.  Worked up a good sweat in just shorts and a t-shirt.

Rach - I love the motivational penguin but I'd need more than motivation to survive that workout!
                  jblack - Get some rest.  I don't think I could do nights.
                  Gustav - Glad you're running again.
                  kristin - Sounds like a good workout to me.
                  Damaris - I'm hoping I don't have a busy day today.  I hope you survive yours.

Bill

good morning friends - i got in 2.7 recovery miles this am. legs are still tired Sad

i hope everybody has a gread day.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Bin Running

Good day to all. SRD for me today.  Felt a little chaffing today. Tongue

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Morning!

My run last night went great.  Today I just have 4.5 easy planned.

Rach- Love the penguin!  Nice workout yesterday!

Jimmy- You working night shifts too?  Enjoy the miles later!

Gustav- Yikes!  I don't run nearly that far on V02Max days!  You are tough as nails!  My intervals so far at that pace are like 2:30 Joking  But I do run more 3K pace than 5K for them.

Awood- Nice running this month!

Kristin10185- Too add to what Gustav said, V02Max workouts are supposed to increase your body's ability to deliver oxygen to your muscles.  At those paces that's really the limiting factor to your workout.  But I can't hold that pace for very long just yet myself.

D- Have fun with the club!

Bill- Yes, I need to have my running days scheduled and make the a priority or I don't know when I'd get them in.  At least it sounds like your weather will cooperate!

T-rod- I'm sure your legs will be feeling better soon!

Bin- Boo to the chafing, but enjoy the rest!

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

The workout from yesterday was by no means my idea. That was a group PT session at work (mandatory). I was only holding 6 lbs over my head, but some of my coworkers were holding the 10 lbs or the 20 lbs medicine balls over their head. Shocked My arms were sore enough over the 6 pounder, so I can imagine what the others felt.

I am not trying to have these intense workouts, but that is what my job is calling me to do during our PT sessions. Not saying it isn't a great workout, but just not my style. I like to feel like I am still living when I finish. LOL.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Rach: That is a hell of a workout!

JBJ: Did you decide on your HM?

Gus: I am happy to hear you are running again.

Awood: That is some nice mileage! 160!!!!  Yeah baby!!!

Kristin: How do you like the ellliptical?

Bill: After a busy day, it feels good to go out and run at night (if you are not too tired).

T-Rod: What is next on the race schedule?

Bin: Two words for you: Body Glide.

Zel: That was an awesome cake! I bet that was way more complicated than Rolo cookies Smile

As for me I ran 2.5 painless miles last night and will try for three tonight. I think my new shoes and insert/orthotic thingies helped. I am taking it easy this week in hopes that it clears up so I can begin my HM training next week.

Have a good day.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I bet that was challenging, Rach!  Especially in all that snow and cold!  Cuz I'm sure y'all were doing everything outside, right?  Wink

I hope everyone likes my motivational penguin on the starting post. I found him cute and inspirational. Big grin

MY PT SESSION YESTERDAY:

20 Pushups
                              20 Situps
                              20 Squats
                              20 Pullups
                              10 Burpees
                              **Repeat the entire workout 3 times**

This was definitely a challenging workout. At least this time I didn't have any knee pain afterwards, but I did take an Aleve before PTing too, which might have helped out as well.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Jack- I have a love/hate relationship with the elliptical. I used to do it 2-3 times per week for like 8 years. I had hoped runnong outdoors would replace it. Alas, my injury prevents me from running for now, I have rekindled the relationship with the elliptical. I've had enough time off from it to bot be too bored. Are you injured Jack?

Rachel I forget what you are using PT as initials for? To meit means physical therapy but I don't think that's what you're referring to. Also what do you do for work that you have to do a crazy workout like that?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to