Beginners and Beyond

Chicago Marathon DNF RR (Read 123 times)

Docket_Rocket

I did not write an RR immediately after Chicago because I was not sure what to say.  I didn't know the cause of my issue and I didn't have anything to say except to say I was disappointed but that I knew it was the right decision to make.  Now that I have more answers, I can write this and confirm that the DNF was the right choice at the time.

This was to be my goal race for the Fall and it would be my only chance of a PR, especially since I have 5 more marathons before the year ends and multiple marathons and PRs are sometimes impossible to do at the same time.  My coach prepared a great training plan and since my asthma has been going great all year, he went crazy and did a very challenging plan.  I gotta say that he knows me better than anyone and I loved every minute of the plan.  This time around, I peaked at 75 miles, with a plan average of 56mpw.  90% of my LRs were paced runs with fast miles.  I ended up missing two long runs (made it to 14 miles and 12 miles on each instead of 22 and 16) but overall, I never faltered.  I felt strongly through my peak week.

And then, the government shutdown happened.  The first day of taper I went from preparing for a trial to sitting at home for the two weeks prior to the race.  I couldn't run much and I was not working.  I could only fret about the weather, the outfit, my time, when will I go back to work, whether they would cancel my vacation time if so, and whether I would even get paid.  Not a good taper, I gotta say.  And I don't want to repeat it.

We arrived in Chicago on Friday night and loved every minute of the trip.  We loved it so much that it is one of the cities we are considering moving to if I can convince my husband to leave this hellhole.  Going from 100F heat indexes as we still have to 50-70F was great.  Overall, I felt prepared.

However, since the Thursday prior to the race, I started complaining to my husband that my psoas area felt tight.  I also felt that leg very sore like there was some pain shooting down my leg.  I didn't think much of it because it was not bad and it was not happening all the time.  So, I prepared for my PR and I thought it would go well.  Little did I know.

We started the race.  I was in Corral E and got to meet workinprogress and RVD there.  I had already met RVD at the expo and it was nice spending time with him and meeting workinprogress. She is very nice and I am very happy she got her PR that day.  Off we go!

Mile 1-3 were my easy warmup as usual.  Except, I felt weird.  It took a bit more effort than my usual to run these three miles.  My HR started peaking at above 150 (easy HR for me is 145-150) but I didn't think much about it.  The leg was sore but OK.  Miles 4-5 I did on pace.  Mile 6-7 went OK except I stopped at the potty at Mile 5ish (never needed to before) but I was in and out in 1 minute (contrary to MCM which you will read about later).  Then, after Mile 7, I started hurting.  My psoas, adductors, quads, and all the way to the ITB.  I didn't know why.  The pain originated at the psoas area.  I gave it one more mile and then I just stopped.  I knew my PR was over but I stopped and tried to make a decision.  I called my husband.  I told him to be ready to pick me up in the next hour if I continued feeling like this.  He thought I was kidding.  I told him I would give it a couple more miles and decide.  I made it Mile 11 and quit.    I limped the whole day.

I went back home and thought it was a psoas issue.  But the pain didn't get better for at least a week.  I saw the chiro and he confirmed it was not the psoas. So, at this point, I was Confused.

TMI Alert:  Please go on to the next paragraph if you don't want to read.  On Friday, I was talking to crazyrunninglady about me thinking it was my fibroid issue.  She then said, good thing you didn't have a burst cyst.  And a light turned on my brain!  I've had this before!  The doctor confirmed it was a ruptured ovarian cyst.  I have more tests coming up to rule out something worse but it makes sense: the sudden and lingering pain, the other muscles being inflamed because of it.  Ugh.

I am still having pain from time to time.  Now that they don't suspect anything with the psoas, I can still run and sometimes fast, and it's only  about how can I handle the pain.  So, the doctor OKd me for MCM and the craziness coming up but he warned me I might have to slow down if I cannot handle the pain.  So, MCM was done very carefully and successfully, which is all I could ask for.  As for the rest, I'll take one marathon at a time.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

I'm glad you got answers to your mystery problem, D.. It must be so distressing to feel pain and not know what is the cause of it. Very sorry about the DNF, but at least you got to travel to Chicago with your hubby and now appreciate the city as much as I do.

Now get me that next RR. Pronto! Vite, vite! Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

you are much tougher than I am.

keep up the good work.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Feeling pain and not knowing what it is sucks. Glad to know you are okay (I already knew before this RR Smile )

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

workinprogress11

I'm so sorry about the DNF but am very glad you now know the reason behind it. I hope further testing doesn't show anything else worrisome.

It was so good to meet you. I am normally a bit reserved around new people but you were so easy to talk to.  I have to admit, though, I was jealous of your adorable outfit!  I'm so glad MCM went better and am looking forward to the RR.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry about the DNF, Damaris, but I think you made the right choice.  I'm glad you did find out exactly what it was, so now you know and can deal with it.  Happy for you that you did okay at MCM.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

You'll have to wait for MCM until the pics from mine and hubby's race are up. Big grin

Thanks!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

Damn, that sounds painful!  I'm so glad you figured it out.  I can't wait to see what you do with your crazy schedule this fall!

RSX

D I'm sorry that happened. At least you made the right choice.

Sorry D.

But, very good that you were able to get everything sorted out and still run MCM.  Perhaps it was all for the best.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I just passed out.........thunk!

Wink

Randy

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Ouch! I'm surprised you were able to continue at all.

Before making any decisions about moving to Chicago, you should visit during one of its 12-18" snow storms with temps dropping toward zero.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Ouch! I'm surprised you were able to continue at all.

Before making any decisions about moving to Chicago, you should visit during one of its 12-18" snow storms with temps dropping toward zero.

I would prefer that than 9 months at 100F heat indexes which is what we just had.  Today's?  96F.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

hog4life

D, sorry about the health issues, I know you will bounce back strong.

Jess runs for bacon

Wow, I am so glad you figured it out! Stupid bodies, right?