Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguin Daily (Read 20 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

Morning Penguins

5 yesterday and 3.55 today on t he TM. Hopefully the last time for a few days. May get more later this afternoon.Getting tired and starting to realize I suck at this running stuff.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and some miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Morning pens! I left just slightly too late to get in my full 8 at easy pace so I did what any normal person would do and dropped in 2x1 mile at tempo-ish effort on the way back for my second quality day this week. Rolled out my IT bands when I got home and nearly died. If my legs forgive me, I will be smarter next week and only do one quality day.

Zelanie

PAD- You've been putting up some serious mileage lately.  That's a reason to be proud!

Lauren- You're a beast!

D- Enjoy the P-miles this evening!

Hello to the late risers!

I have an early meeting, but after work I am planning to go to the social run, and then go look at a treadmill that a friend doesn't want anymore.  She doesn't want money, but I am thinking I'd like to offer her something for it.  Birthday cakes for her kids, maybe?  Tonight I will run a bit on it to see what I think, plus measure it so we can figure out what the process of moving it would be.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hiya, Pens.

Z: How old is the TM? For a few cakes, that could be a very nice deal for you. Smile

8 mile tempo run today. We'll see how that goes.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hey Pens!

Did a LR of 10.6 yesterday.  About to head out for 4.  I'm woefully underprepared for this HM on the 25th after being really sick/sore last week and only running 12.7 of my 30ish planned miles.  Oh well - all I can do is my best.  At least after the Staten Island half I've set the bar so incredibly high for a PW that I will avoid that =D

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

It is SUNNY again in San Antonio, yay!  Will be 58 degrees for my run/walk after work today - and SUNNY - at a local park.    Tomorrow we head back into the 60s - and SUNNY - and over the weekend we will get close to the 70s - and VERY SUNNY.  Yay!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning Penguins

5 yesterday and 3.55 today on t he TM. Hopefully the last time for a few days. May get more later this afternoon.Getting tired and starting to realize I suck at this running stuff.

PAD, you need a....

Hey, if I can get out there and run, ANYONE can.  I'm not graceful, I'm not fast, I got no style or form...but I am out there doing it.  So shaddup and just get out there and do it!  

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

PAD- You've been putting up some serious mileage lately.  That's a reason to be proud!

Lauren- You're a beast!

D- Enjoy the P-miles this evening!

Hello to the late risers!

I have an early meeting, but after work I am planning to go to the social run, and then go look at a treadmill that a friend doesn't want anymore.  She doesn't want money, but I am thinking I'd like to offer her something for it.  Birthday cakes for her kids, maybe?  Tonight I will run a bit on it to see what I think, plus measure it so we can figure out what the process of moving it would be.

Well....you could put wheels on the bottom of it, then have DH hook it up to the back of the car...and then you could just run on it while he pulls it home for you....I bet THAT would get some youtube hits and photos posted....and maybe a nice chat with your local traffic police officers... 

Zelanie

Scotty, if I had my Garmin on, I could set some new PRs!

Jack- It's about 10 years old. My best estimate is that it's a nicer home use one, not gym quality by any means though.

on my way to badass

A treadmill makes excuses impossible. Best thing I ever did for my health.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Amazonian Princess

Good afternoon

PAD - you don't suck at running, not even close! Sounds like you're tired (my first clue being your words "Getting tired") and it'll pass. I've heard a little about PAD (the disease) and while I don't know the severity of your symptoms, I think you're amazing!

Hi, Docket!

Lauren - What if I sneeze while lifting? Might my belly button pop out then? Nice 8 on a weekday, you are a beast!

Zel - Have fun at the run and good luck with the TM! I have no doubt that the awesomeness of your cakes will well-compensate your friend for her 'mill. BTW, do you ever use coconut crystals instead of sugar? I'm cutting back on refined white and my trainer recommended it; tried it in my coffee so far (it's good) but haven't baked with it, yet.

Jack - Is a tempo run a run that gets faster in the middle?

sapf - is the ankle still bad or did you re-injure? Stand still a sec and let me send some healing vibes...

scotty - yay sunny weather!

SF - how many streak days?

Nice workout at the gym last night - my legs feel great but my lungs just aren't there. Even though it was a short workout I had to walk a few times because it felt like I wasn't getting full expansion while breathing. I'm not wheezy, but I have allergies and the air quality has been craptastic so I'm wondering if I should try some Albuterol before my next run and see if it makes a difference? 30 minutes of core and weights tonite, unless I get crazy and break out the k-bell. Whoop! Whoop!

I can. I will. I am. 

on my way to badass

Bacon-have fun with weights tonight. Thanks for asking about the streak, I'm at 50 days.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Bacon: Yes, that is exactly what it is. Today I am running easy for two miles, then 4 miles at HM pace, then easy for two miles. There you go; an 8 mile tempo run. Wink