Beginners and Beyond

Shamrock 2013 (Read 535 times)

Dreamn

01:43:11. My goal was sub-1:45 so I met my goal. I'm happy for now :-). Congrats on your races everyone!

aplodder

Susan

I had hoped for a 2:05-2:10 half-was pretty sure I wasn't in PR shape but surprised myself with a 2:00:45 PR!  I *may* have celebrated a bit in the beer tent afterward.

Congrat's to everyone.

Lilac, sorry I missed you.

Mmmmm...beer

Congrats to everyone on your great races!! Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Only did a 4:25:45.  I had wanted under 4:20.  But I was pretty sick and hadn't been able to eat on Saturday.  I started running out of steam around mile 20.  I think that eating on Saturday would have helped.  Plus that wind didn't help any; it was a shock when hitting that boardwalk around mile 10.

But anyway, I'm already registered for the full for next year.  Price is currently $90 (+ $6.25 processing fee.  Sigh....)  I liked the Holiday Inn Oceanside where I stayed and will probably stay there again next year.  One difference is that I won't rent a car next year.  No need.  I walked back and forth to/from the expo.

Next up is the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon in seven weeks.

I had forgotten that wind at mile 10 on the boardwalk... Rough!  And then again at about mile 20 at the North end of Virginia Beach, even rougher.  I was glad to make that turn back toward the south again at mile 21ish... Wind at our backs, but I too was down to fumes at that point.   Only way I was able to hit my "A" goal was to forget that I had run 20 and telling myself "This is just a 10K race" and pushing faster even though it was hurting like hell to do so by then.  And then at mile 23, I saw that sub 4 was still possible, if I pushed harder than I ever have before... "Only a 5K to go" and again, pretending like I had not run 23 miles already.   Somehow it worked..  :-)

There was great stuff at the end of the race this year, finisher hats are always superb and the finisher BLANKETS, very timely!  It was a cold walk back to the car and that finisher blanket was great to keep warm.  J&A really puts on great races.   And for next year, we'll have another great race, but hopefully just a bit warmer and no wind!  (((Everyone that I saw still had great finish times despite the wind, so just imagine what is possible with more optimal conditions :-) )))

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Mmmmm...beer

Agreed, the blankets were a great touch!

I'm gonna do the Shamrock full next year for my first official full, can't wait to see what I can do with another year of training, and hopefully better weather! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Agreed, the blankets were a great touch!

I'm gonna do the Shamrock full next year for my first official full, can't wait to see what I can do with another year of training, and hopefully better weather! Smile

--Considering a Boston Qualifier is what, about a 3:20 for your AG?  And you can already push a half in Sub: 1:30, question now is... Do you have desires to travel and run at Boston???  Cool

Mostly harmless

Congrats to all the runners! It sounds like conditions were a lot different this year over last (no wind but it was hot!). J&A know how to put on a good race and I'm glad you all enjoyed it!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Mmmmm...beer

--Considering a Boston Qualifier is what, about a 3:20 for your AG?  And you can already push a half in Sub: 1:30, question now is... Do you have desires to travel and run at Boston???  Cool

BQ for me for next year would be 3:15, since I'll turn 40 before race day in 2015.

My impromptu marathon in December definitely gave me a better appreciation for the distance and I decided then that I wanted to put in more training and shoot for a BQ my first time out.  Not sure right now if I'd go to Boston in 2015, providing I hit my goal of course, but the more I think about it, the more I think that it would be pretty cool to run Boston.  Just have to see how my training progresses over the next year and how I do at next year's Shamrock. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

--I'd love to do Boston as a bucket list race, but no way I can age-group qualify.  That is beyond my abilities, and getting in on a 'charity' slot runs near 5,000.00, so No. I will not ever be doing Boston personally.  :-)

--And to "Not Scott" ---> FM: 3:54:51 (3/16/13)  2013 Races   Rock n Roll USA (3/16) - Goal: < 4:00:00"

Congrats on that sub-4 Finish!  I want to do the DC race someday, but they keep putting it right on top of Shamrock Marathon weekend!  Probably all the better, I suppose even if they were separated by a week, it would be foolish to run 2 marathons in 2 weeks.  But again, excellent on the sub-4 time!

Mostly harmless

--And to "Not Scott" ---> FM: 3:54:51 (3/16/13)  2013 Races   Rock n Roll USA (3/16) - Goal: < 4:00:00"

Congrats on that sub-4 Finish!  I want to do the DC race someday, but they keep putting it right on top of Shamrock Marathon weekend!  Probably all the better, I suppose even if they were separated by a week, it would be foolish to run 2 marathons in 2 weeks.  But again, excellent on the sub-4 time!

Thanks and congratulations to you too for hitting your goal!  I liked Shamrock better for the course and J&A as organizers.  The RnR folks nickle and dime you to death (ex. $5 to have your times sent out by text message to 5 people) and they cheap out on the bling. The medal was pretty meh and they give the same shirt to the HM and Marathon runners.  The only thing this race had in the plus column (for me) was proximity.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Dreamn

I think the blanket and hat are my favorite race swag ever.  Amazingly appropriate.  It was a good race although I think the course is pretty boring and yet, I'd return next year Smile.

I think the blanket and hat are my favorite race swag ever.  Amazingly appropriate.  It was a good race although I think the course is pretty boring and yet, I'd return next year Smile.

I am partial to the course because I live here in VB.   Even the completely isolated stretch of road at mile 18+ running up toward Fort Eustis I am familiar with because our strider group does Trash pickup along that section of road.  Notice how clean it was out there?  (Minus all the dropped running gear, lol!)   Eh, who am I kidding, only thing to be noticed headed up that way was the WIND and thinking "when do we get to turn south and have the wind at our backs?!

I'll order up better weather next year... Crowd support was much lower because it was cloudy, windy and cold.  For those that come back next year hopefully we can get some Sunny, no wind, and 58 for the high, IE. Normal seasonal conditions :-)