Beginners and Beyond

Shamrock 2013 (Read 535 times)

I just saw this thread... The Shamrock was my first Marathon ever back in 2011, I did the Half in 2012, and now I have gone full speed again and will do the Full in 2013.  My longest run ever in 2011 prior to the race was 12 miles, so I paid dearly after mile 13!  Today I just ran a 21-mile practice run, so I will be going into this race much better prepared.

I live right here in Virginia Beach, VA, great city and a great race!  I am not good at hotels and all that, most of you guys probably have more information than I do in that regard, but I might able to help suggest some decent restaurants or places to meet up for the FE.  It kind of depends on what folks are looking for pricewise, cuisinewise, etc. :-)  But me and the spouse started a goal a few years ago called "52 Restaurants in 52 weeks where we picked a different place to eat each week + would keep a business card from each one for her photobook, so I have been to many of the places to eat in VB and could provide some feedback on some restaurant suggestions.

Hard to believe March is coming up so fast!  Time for everyone to kick that training into full gear :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Little Blue

I just noticed this thread and didn't read all the responses, but wanted to let you know about a hotel that works well (we've done the race several times).  There is a Days Inn at 2417 Atlantic Avenue, ocean front, and you can see the finish line tents from your balcony.  It looks like there are rooms available, not cheap, but I put in arrive 3/15 and leave 31/8 and it did have a few options, at around $100/night.  If anyone is still looking, check it out.  It was a perfectly acceptable place when we stayed there.

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

BUMP!

It's getting closer!!

Angela 

Jess runs for bacon

Yay I'm getting excited!! I learned how to make a tutu this weekend and I shall be rocking a green one in the half Smile

Funny thing, I was just thinking about this thread today when I was running a little 17 miler. Big grin   Man, I am so much more prepared this time than I was on my first Shamrock attempt in 2011.    Definitely looking forward to it.  I just ran a 14K yesterday with a time of 1:08:00, I am aiming to knock my PB in the Shamrock Full from 4:45ish all the way down to possibly a sub-4 if everything goes to plan.   I think I am going to wear the same shirt again for the 2013 race. (See profile pic :-)

So enough jibber jabber from me, how is the training going for all you folks doing the Shamrock?  Probably only have a couple really good training weeks left before the taper starts?  

Smile 

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

aplodder

Susan

Funny thing, I was just thinking about this thread today when I was running a little 17 miler. Big grin   Man, I am so much more prepared this time than I was on my first Shamrock attempt in 2011.    Definitely looking forward to it.  I just ran a 14K yesterday with a time of 1:08:00, I am aiming to knock my PB in the Shamrock Full from 4:45ish all the way down to possibly a sub-4 if everything goes to plan.   I think I am going to wear the same shirt again for the 2013 race. (See profile pic :-)

So enough jibber jabber from me, how is the training going for all you folks doing the Shamrock?  Probably only have a couple really good training weeks left before the taper starts?  

Smile 

Wow-that would be a huge PR.   I hope you're able to do it.

My training for the half is going pretty well.  I don't think I will run a PR, but would be happy with a 2:05-2:10.  I've run more miles this year that I ever have in January and February.  This is sort of a "stepping stone" training cycle to jump start my training for a fall marathon and NC24.

slowrunningjulie

My training for the full is also going well. I ran a 30K two weeks ago and did a 17 mile long run this week. I plan to run a half marathon this weekend, then do 20, then it's taper time! Hard to believe that it's only 5 weeks away.

Would anyone be interested in getting together for a booze-free, early night pasta dinner the night before the race? Also, any recommendations about good Italian places along the boardwalk?

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

I'm definitely not PRing this.  Instead, I'm going to use it as an attempt to even-split a marathon (maybe even negative-split) to work on my pacing for my goal race in June.  I may even run/walk Shamrock.  Haven't decided yet.

slowrunningjulie - I'd love to do dinner!  But I have no knowledge at all of the area, so I will follow others' leads.  I hope others are interested in a FE too.

Angela 

Mmmmm...beer

I lost some miles due to ITB issues, but I don't think it affected my fitness, and most importantly it's under control.  We'll see how I'm looking coming out of the 20k that's coming up, but I think I'm fairly solid for hitting my goal, even if I don't, it'll still be a huge PR.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Whether or not I hit my goal may depend on those 10 boxes of Girl Scout cookies that are supposed to be delivered this week. Roll eyes

Don't know where anybody else is staying but I'm at the Holiday Inn at

2101 ATLANTIC AVE.
                      VIRGINIA BEACH, VA 23451

slowrunningjulie

Whether or not I hit my goal may depend on those 10 boxes of Girl Scout cookies that are supposed to be delivered this week. Roll eyes

Don't know where anybody else is staying but I'm at the Holiday Inn at

2101 ATLANTIC AVE.
                        VIRGINIA BEACH, VA 23451

I call that fuel!

Upcoming:

Is it too soon to start obsessing about the weather?

slowrunningjulie

Apparently not, since I was thinking about this too! We have been having picture-perfect weather here in TX - mostly sunny, temps in the 50's-60's. What's VA like this time of year?

Upcoming:

Mmmmm...beer

I figure pretty much anything is gonna be better than the weather we had for RnR Va Beach. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Trail Monster

I'm so ready! I just have to survive a last long run this weekend and then it will be downhill from there!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop