Beginners and Beyond

Shamrock 2013 (Read 535 times)

I'm so ready! I just have to survive a last long run this weekend and then it will be downhill from there!

I'm using Hanson and I have an 18 miler this Sunday and next week an 18 miler with 12 at MP in the middle.  I also have a 10k eight days before the Shamrock.

Mostly harmless

I had a change plans and registered for Rock n Roll USA in DC instead.  I would rather run the flat course in VA Beach but life got in the way. I'm happy that I have this alternative and hope you guys all have great runs!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

I'm using Hanson and I have an 18 miler this Sunday and next week an 18 miler with 12 at MP in the middle.  I also have a 10k eight days before the Shamrock.

Are you using Hanson's Advanced?  Or a personalized plan?  I'm using their Beginner plan (even though I've run multiple marathons) to train for a June 2nd marathon & am antsy about the shorter long runs, especially toward the beginning of the plan, which is where I am now.

Angela 

Double post.

Are you using Hanson's Advanced?  Or a personalized plan?  I'm using their Beginner plan (even though I've run multiple marathons) to train for a June 2nd marathon & am antsy about the shorter long runs, especially toward the beginning of the plan, which is where I am now.

I'm using the purchased HansonMarathon 20 week, 40-60 miles per week plan.  It goes into more detail than the book does. I sent you an email.

Trail Monster

I have 21 this weekend and 20 next weekend but the 20 next weekend is a group run so it should be fun instead of a slog. Then it will be tapering time!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

slowrunningjulie

32 days! Woot!

For those of you who have run the full before, do you have any pacing strategies for this race? Where are the challenges on the course?

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

Apparently not, since I was thinking about this too! We have been having picture-perfect weather here in TX - mostly sunny, temps in the 50's-60's. What's VA like this time of year?

Normally 50ish degrees at race start time in Mid-March.   Too soon to tell, but hopefully no wind and rain will be around. :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

32 days! Woot!

For those of you who have run the full before, do you have any pacing strategies for this race? Where are the challenges on the course?

I did the full in 2011... I cannot provide pacing strategies because 2011 was my first Marathon... I ran the first 13 miles in 1:58:00, then it took me nearly another three hours to finish the second half of the race!  ---  Main thing about this race is that it is FLAT.  Most consider it nearly a perfect race to go for a PR on due to the entirety of the course being at Sea level, minus one small bridge that you cross twice over the inlet that is maybe a 50 foot rise... .

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

slowrunningjulie

I did the full in 2011... I cannot provide pacing strategies because 2011 was my first Marathon... I ran the first 13 miles in 1:58:00, then it took me nearly another three hours to finish the second half of the race!  ---  Main thing about this race is that it is FLAT.  Most consider it nearly a perfect race to go for a PR on due to the entirety of the course being at Sea level, minus one small bridge that you cross twice over the inlet that is maybe a 50 foot rise... .

Flat will be awesome. I ran the Austin marathon last year and miles 14-18 were uphill. It was terrible because I was really hurting at around mile 16 and kept thinking that if it was this bad with 10 miles still to go, there was no freakin' way I was going to finish. Then fortunately it turned around and went back downhill. But that was definitely the low point of the race for me.

Upcoming:

Trail Monster

My coach thinks I'm going to surprise the hell out of myself on this course. I ran Baltimore in October and it is almost entirely uphill the last 10k which completely destroyed me. I then ran Marshall University (WV) in November and, while flat for WV, it's not actually flat. I still PR'ed by 3 minutes because it was better than Baltimore but I know I can do a heck of a lot better. Hopefully I will prove that at Shamrock and my goal pace won't turn out to be suicide.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

slowrunningjulie

A quick review of Trip Advisor shows an Italian place called Manninos that looks like it could be a possibility for a pre-race dinner. Thoughts?

Upcoming:

A quick review of Trip Advisor shows an Italian place called Manninos that looks like it could be a possibility for a pre-race dinner. Thoughts?

I see that neither one of them (there are two) are very close to the hotels in the vicinity of the start/finish area, which could be a problem for those flying in.

slowrunningjulie

Ack! I just got an email from Southwest Airlines, reminding me that my trip to Norfolk is just around the corner! But I am not ready yet!   Shocked

About the restaurant, I will be one of those flying in. I couldn't get a real good feel for how close the restaurants were. it looked like just a couple of miles, but I don't know how many people will be on foot. I am planning to rent a car. I would definitely be open to suggestions for places that are closer.

Upcoming:

I've also booked a rental (Thrifty).  I'll be arriving early Friday morning and probably go to the expo shortly after it opens.