Beginners and Beyond

Shamrock 2013 (Read 535 times)

Dreamn

I obsessed and watched the accuweather site every day leading up to the Chicago Marathon.  It went from 63 with rain to 80 and sunny to 35 Big grin.  It's fun to watch, although I'm not too worried about the weather for this race.

An annoyance I have with just about all these weather sites is that they don't indicate whether the low occurs in the morning or at night.  In this case Saturday is 36 and Sunday is 35 so they are close enough together that it doesn't matter.  But if one of those numbers was 45 or 50, it might be nice to know.

slowrunningjulie

An annoyance I have with just about all these weather sites is that they don't indicate whether the low occurs in the morning or at night.  In this case Saturday is 36 and Sunday is 35 so they are close enough together that it doesn't matter.  But if one of those numbers was 45 or 50, it might be nice to know.

Once we get close enough, weather.com will start posting an hourly forecast. That is still many 15 minute increments away though.

This thread might very well save my marriage. I am pretty sure that DH would tire very quickly of talking about what the weather is going to be like on a Sunday two weeks from now. Smile

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

UPSucks

Did my last long run before starting to taper last Sunday. Halfway through the work day last Monday my foot started  hurting. I didn't run until Thursday. I was going to do five miles. Did three because I felt some discomfort still in my foot. I took this weekend off. I'm going to attempt 3-5 miles tomorrow.

This is my first half. I've been wanting to run this race since I lived here in Virginia Beach. It's on my birthday!

slowrunningjulie

Did my last long run before starting to taper last Sunday. Halfway through the work day last Monday my foot started  hurting. I didn't run until Thursday. I was going to do five miles. Did three because I felt some discomfort still in my foot. I took this weekend off. I'm going to attempt 3-5 miles tomorrow.

This is my first half. I've been wanting to run this race since I lived here in Virginia Beach. It's on my birthday!

Don't run tomorrow unless you are 100% pain free. At this late date, you get no real training benefit, but you could make the injury worse. You could conceivably not run one single step between now and March 17 and still be fine at the race if you are healthy.But if you are injured, that could seriously impair your performance.

I ran a 10 mile "long run" today. Tapering is so weird. I am so used to cramming from my college days, and it just doesn't work with marathons.

Upcoming:

I agree, if any sign of an injury 2 weeks out, all stop!  Best not to attempt any running or anything that will not allow the discomfort to heal up.

And on the comment about tapering....  I agree.  It is hard to run more mileage each month!  And then all of a sudden, run less, and less.... Hard for me to do.  :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

slowrunningjulie

Yikes! Be glad the race isn't this week  - the forecast includes temperatures in the 30's with winds gusting up to 40 mph!

Upcoming:

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

You mean crapuweather.com. Better site to check is noaa.gov. they give you nice graphs on dewpoint and cloud cover etc.

I obsessed and watched the accuweather site every day leading up to the Chicago Marathon.  It went from 63 with rain to 80 and sunny to 35 Big grin.  It's fun to watch, although I'm not too worried about the weather for this race.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

I'm gonna believe whichever one gives me the better looking forecast. Joking

Trail Monster

I'm ready! I'm so ready! Just so long as there's no snow!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

slowrunningjulie

I am feeling like a lazy taper-slug right now - I haven't run since Sunday! 4 miles after work today. Starting tomorrow, we will be in the 10 day forecast!

Upcoming:

I only did 4 on the treadmill today, after yesterday's HMP intervals.  I won't run again until Saturday when I have a 10k.  Next week is pretty light except for Thursday's crazy workout: 2wu+8(400@5kw400r)+2cd = 8 miles.  Almost looks like a chance to get hurt.

When are you folks arriving in Virginia Beach?  I'll be landing at 0901, picking up my rental and heading to my hotel to scope out the area since it will be too early to check in.  I'll find someplace to get something to eat and just hang out until the Expo opens.  Then I'll head over there.

slowrunningjulie

I only did 4 on the treadmill today, after yesterday's HMP intervals.  I won't run again until Saturday when I have a 10k.  Next week is pretty light except for Thursday's crazy workout: 2wu+8(400@5kw400r)+2cd = 8 miles.  Almost looks like a chance to get hurt.

When are you folks arriving in Virginia Beach?  I'll be landing at 0901, picking up my rental and heading to my hotel to scope out the area since it will be too early to check in.  I'll find someplace to get something to eat and just hang out until the Expo opens.  Then I'll head over there.

How long a drive is it to the oceanfront from Norfolk? I land in Norfolk at 12:40 on Saturday and plan to check in at my hotel and head straight to the expo.

Upcoming:

UPSucks

How long a drive is it to the oceanfront from Norfolk? I land in Norfolk at 12:40 on Saturday and plan to check in at my hotel and head straight to the expo.

I'd say it's around 25-30 minutes. Traffic shouldn't be too bad on a Saturday in March heading to the oceanfront.

I haven't run since last week. I'm taking everyone's advice and resting my sore foot from my last long run. Plus this crappy weather here sucks!

There is an Italian restaurant at the oceanfront that one of my friends use to work at. She always use to try to get me to go there. I did not make a lot of money back then so I never went. The prices actually look pretty reasonable. http://www.ilgiardino.com/    I'm sure it will be busy the night before because of the location!  

I forgot to mention that I'm arriving on Friday, not Saturday.  So, I'll have a full day to wander around and eat everything in sight.