Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday October Penguins (Read 19 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Wake up Pengs !!!  Time to get those end of quarter reports done.

SRD for us.  Not very sore after the LR.    Just a little hard walking down the stairs.

Have a great hump day.

on my way to badass

Good Morning Penguins! Thanks for starting us off Jerry. Enjoy the RD. I am at loose ends. I shall run today, but I need a training plan to tell me how far. First day of Bow Season here. I will probably hunt tomorrow.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 7 miles tonight.  In Broward for Court this morning.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Morning Penguins! 6 done this morning gym tonight.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

As stated in the dailies, did some maintenance on the treadmill so actually put in a few more miles this week.  Just a few more than the pathetic 10 or so I've been doing.  I want to get back up to something respectable but I also don't want to stop for any dumb reason so I'll gladly take my 10 in the bank to keep going.

Tonight it's mowing the lawn, followed by weights.  (Cycling has definitely made the legs stronger.  Maybe not faster, but stronger for sure)

Randy

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  Yesterday's run was with leaden legs.  I finished only because of stubbornness.  But stubbornness is a good trait to have in a marathon, right?

Jerry- Good luck with the reports.

SF- Maybe you need a race to sign up for?

D- Good luck in court!

PAD- Nice work!

Randy- Glad you're getting back into it!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Fickle damn Texas weather!  Yesterday, a nice 63 degrees.  This morning, 75 degrees, dew-point in the lower 70s, and rain threatening. VERY humid.  I hadn't even gone a mile before I was drenched in sweat.   I did a 3.2 mile route that included 4 hills...and not small hills either.  After I got back to the Y, I laid down under one of the ceiling fans and cooled off....followed by a COLD shower.........ahhhhhhh, felt good!

First of the month...Mother's Day for me, Jerry...pay this mother....pay that mother....   Happy SRD...and walk down the stairs backwards, you will feel the difference.

First day of Bow Season here. I will probably hunt tomorrow.    StoneFence...start with Congress...   You don't need a training plan...for once, just go out and RUN RUN RUN how you feel...no watch, no timer, etc., and let the miles take care of themselves.   Run like a kid!  See what happens.  I bet you have a blast.

Good luck in court, Damaris.

Congrats on the 6, PAD.  I hope your North Texas weather is behaving better than our South Texas weather.

Hi, again, redrum! (posted to you in the dailies).

Gee, Zelanie, I can never imagine your legs as 'leaden'.    And I corrected that statement for you, so it better describes the you I know......  I finished only because of stubbornness persistence and determination.....you're welcome...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Zelanie - yes, stubbornness, persistence, whatever, is definitely necessary.   Good for you for sticking with it on the leaden legs - next run will be easier, right?

StoneFence - bow season, wow!  Enjoy the hunt tomorrow.

Randy - thanks for the encouraging words in the other thread.

Scotty - sorry about the weather.  You know I'm a displaced Texan; every time I read your posts I think "Thank God I live in SoCal."  (but then every time I file my state tax return I think "I gotta move back to Texas!")

PAD - nice running.

Damaris - good luck in court.

Jerry - just avoid the stairs today. Smile

No running for me today.  I woke up at 4:45 and thought, If I get up now I will have time to run.  Nah.  Slept for another hour and am headed for school shortly.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  DH's back and hip are feeling much better, so it seems it was basically a reaction to all the standing and furniture moving of Friday and Saturday.  He even got to sleep in bed last night until about 4 AM!!  I'm off work tomorrow because of a 1pm dentist appointment -- with my long commute, it makes more sense to bag the entire day rather than work part of it.  Quartet rehearsal tonight, woo-hoo!!

Jerryb -- have a good SRD, and avoid the stairs!!

Stone -- picking a training plan is always fun, though I never actually follow it.  Good luck hunting!!

Docket -- enjoy the 7, and smoke 'em in court!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 6!!

redrum -- glad your TM is behaving now!!

Zelanie -- Stubbornness is definitely a good thing!!  And it's not stubbornness, it's mental fortitude!!

Scotty -- glad you got cooled off!!

Brilliant -- sometimes sleep is the better choice!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

tracilynn

jerry, enjoy the hump day and the rest day and the reports 

stone, what will hunt with a bow?  you should pick a hal higdon plan (if you just need to follow a plan)

scotty, congress hunting, haha.  good one.  our weather sucks too.  90 today.  blah.  ready for Fall!

damaris, enjoy court

pad, nice job on the 6

redrum, 10 is good when rebuilding.

brilliant, have fun at school, 4:45 is the middle of the night for me, don't blame ya.

zel, the countdown is on for you!  this is OCT!  This is YOUR MONTH

hopes, glad DH is better.

I did intervals this morning.  6 x 400s  plus warm up and cool down. ended up with 4.7 Mi   I kept getting a side stitch on the faster intervals and then on the slow ones too  I guess my breathing was too raggedy.  Ive been getting side stitches a lot lately.  hmmm.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

from Tuesdays thread

Mitch, I think TJ would be really terrified if he was pushed by Josh!  That stroller would need new tires before the finish line

Damaris, my hokas are Kailiua Tarmacs.  I know people get LOTS of mileage I was just worried about the age of them, like rubber and all that BS breaking down.  Im probably just paranoid.,  Ignore me

going to look up Cliftons....

~~~~~~~

Traci

on my way to badass

Damaris- enjoy the miles!

PAD- you are killing it!  Have fun at the gym.

redrum- lawn mowing counts as x-training.

Z- Stubbornness is probably the most important trait for a marathon.  I did sign up for a 5K in December and I might try a streak from Thanksgiving to New Years.

Scotty- Ugh for the fickle weather.  I'm not sure I can run without the Garmin or at least a watch.  Maybe I will try it this week.

Brilliant- Good for you taking a rest day.

HsM- So glad your DH is feeling better.  I get the long commute.  Appointments in the middle of the day just make it silly to go in.

Traci-  I'm contemplating a plan for an upcoming 5K in December.  12 weeks to a new PR I think.  I'm hunting Whitetail deer.  They are usually in no danger from me.  I just like sitting in trees dressed in Camo.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

GinnyinPA

Jerry - enjoy the rest day.  I'm glad yesterday's run was such a good one.  Weather probably had a lot to do with that.  As it cools off, the long runs become so much easier.

StoneFence - Higdon has a winter training program, not race specific but to keep your mileage up.  Good luck with the deer hunt.  It's always nice to spend time in the woods in the autumn.

Damaris - hope Court went well for you.  Enjoy your miles tonight.

PAD - good job on the morning run.  Have fun at the gym.

Redrum - mowing can be good exercise, unless you have a riding mower.  Every mile helps.

Z - I hope today's run goes better.  Good job on getting through yesterday's hard run.  Perseverance pays.  When we were doing our long distance hikes, DH would say, "Oh yes, we're intrepid, which just means we're too dumb to quit."  But that's how we got from Georgia to Maine and Mexico to Canada.  One step at a time, one day at a time.

Scotty - sorry the cool weather didn't last.  That sounds brutal.

Brilliant - enjoy the rest day.

HopesMom - I'm glad your husband feels better today.  Maybe you can get a nice walk in tomorrow, before or after your dentist appointment.  I used to make mine for late afternoon, if possible, so that I would only miss half a day, but that isn't always possible.

Tracilynn - usually I get side cramps when I go too fast (i.e. down hills) but it can also happen if I drink too much water and then run hard.

Good job on the intervals though.

AFM: another foggy drizzly day.  It's cool though, so I'll do some miles outside later.  Trying to get the nerve up to do a group fartlek type run that the local club does some weeks.  I've never run with the group and I'm slow, so I'm hesitant.  But it would be fun to run with somebody else for once.

From the Internet.

Afternoon pens! Frustrating couple of days - worked from home yesterday and got virtually nothing done, broke my iPhone screen, rain, the apparatus I need for my experiments is not working yet again - parts have been sent off to the guy who makes them for inspection/possible repair. Have to give a talk next week and I don't wannnnna. General crankiness.

Had a good run this morning though, 6 miles total with 3x 400/200 faster than race pace - 1:46/1:47/1:42 for the 400s and 54/51/48 for the 200s.