Beginners and Beyond

If it's Tuesday, We Must be Penguins (Read 29 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

RD for me today.

From the Internet.

G'morning PAD and penguins yet to come!

5.05 miles early this morning. Weather was great but it felt hard. I think I spent too much time sitting around yesterday. Gym this afternoon.

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I ended up taking an SRD yesterday and it was much needed.  8-10 miles tonight with mile repeats if the lungs allow.  Otherwise, easy.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

obiebyke

Good morning. SRD today, and driving up into the mountains. Ahhhh, vacation. Looking forward to a couple short schedule runs at altitude to finish up my training for my July 4th half.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi pens.

5x1000 for me. I am going for an early morning drive to find a "flattish" area and am hoping for six miles total (if the elevation doesn't get to me first!). It's a nice and cool 43 degrees right now. Nice!

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.

Planning for 5-6 miles tonight.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!! Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered a pair of Merrell Road Gloves. Still minimalist, zero heel drop, but they'll have a bit more cushioning than my VFF's. I don't know how well this will work, but I'm not running now, so it's not like I would be running any less in these shoes. And maybe I'll get lucky and they'll really help. Anyway, they should be delivered tomorrow, but if DH and I shift to morning running, we can't take them out for a spin until Saturday (late nights Wednesday and Thursday prevent early mornings).

PAD -- enjoy your RD!!

Lauren -- woo-hoo for your miles!!

Docket -- glad the RD helped!!

obie -- have a good RD, and enjoy your vacation!!

Jack -- enjoy the cool weather and the flattish run!!

Phillie -- have a good 5-6 tonight!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

According to MapMyRun, I walked somewhere between 5 and 10 miles last week.  Shoulda taken my Garmin! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning PAD, Lauren,  DR, Obie, Jack, Margo and HsM !!!

We will try for 5 this afternoon, but I dunno, DP is 68 right now, so we might do less.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Gail and I did weights last night at the Y.  This morning I got up at 4:30 a.m.  I WAS planning to run in the pm after work, but my stupid cats started doing their "Feed Me!" and "Let Me Out"  cat-calls and just would not shut up, so I figured heck with it, I might as well get up and go run.  I went down this morning to another local Y,  one near the San Antonio Riverwalk.  Started from the Y and looped down to the Riverwalk, then back through a local park, and then back to the Y.  It was nice and quiet running between 5 and 6 a.m., virtually no traffic, sweet.  I really felt good the whole way, in spite of the already 80 degree temp, dew-point of 73, and humidity of 89%.  Cold shower after that felt great!  Glad I did get up and go run because some scattered thunderstorms are supposed to go through my area after work, just about right where I run.  I guess my cats are smarter than me, lol, getting me up early.     The weather guy on TV was funny too.  The news-guy asked the weather guy what the difference was between 'scattered' storms and "isolated' storms.  He said "Let me put it this way...would you rather have scattered, as in all over the place,  mosquito bites or isolated mosquito bites? Think of the storms like that."    lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I got my run in; 7 miles total with 5x1000m. The plan called for 6:50 on the intervals but at this elevation and rolling hills it was not going to happen. four of them were about 7:40 and one was 8:05. That one was all uphill and I was sucking wind! You know how kids sound when they have whooping cough? That was me. I remember what wcrunner taught me about perceived effort and to nor worry about it if you don't hit your pace. Today's perceived effort felt like a 4:40 pace (not that I know how that feels) so I think I'm good. On to the World Cup games.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

RD for PAD, OK, G2K, Peace Out!

Weather was great but it felt hard. Sounds like you need to soak in some relaxing bath salts for a while, Lauren.

Good lung with your run, Damaris!

Philly, happy 5-6 tonite..maybe at 7?

Merrell Road GLOVES...so you'll be running on your hands, HsM?  Good luck with that....     Speaking of MapMyRun...does anyone know if there is some other system beside that, that will map "curves and bends" and also if you go off-road, like on trails and such. MapMyRun is very frustrating to use - for me anyway - to try and map a distance for that type of thing.

DP at only 68, Jerry?  I WISH!   As someone once said..."suck it up buttercup!"  Get out there! 

I take it, Jack, you can't find any flat places at your vacation area?  Where the heck are you, on a mountain?

Bin Running

Hi Guys.. Haven't been running for a week.. Just catching up with all the worldcup matches.. Tongue

Hope everyone is good..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Quote from obiebyke on 6/23/2014 at 9:04 PM:

Sweet, out of town running! Go Z!

I drove 8 hours from Minneapolis to Dickinson, ND today. I was surprised and excited to find out when I checked in to the hotel that there's a workout room. Did my 30 minutes, but couldn't figure out why it felt hard to go my normal pace. Turns out I'm already at 2,411 feet. Going up much higher to MT tomorrow, so we'll see what happens to my running.

workout room in a North Dakota hotel...I bet it was a swing rope wasn't it?