Beginners and Beyond

It's Friday somewhere, Penguins! (Read 34 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!

What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Hey, pens!  I didn't get a chance to check back in with some of the personals yet, and I'll be headed out early to a before-work PT appointment tomorrow, so I thought I'd go ahead and take my west-coast prerogative and start the thread!  So good morning!  Hope it's a great Friday!

AFM, the cake pieces are all made, and I'll be assembling and such after work.  So far it seems to be coming out well.  My 3 treadmill miles went just fine, too.  Today the only running I will be doing is probably just my warmup at PT.

Jack- Congrats on school being out!  I hope the last day of school went well for you!  We still have two more weeks after this one, plus I'm also changing rooms yet again.

Dave- Thanks for the stretches!  I'm short enough that "threading the needle" works just fine from a regular chair!  I hadn't heard of that one, but the second one my sister showed me when she was out last Thanksgiving.  I felt the first one right away in my hip flexor, but I think that's because I'm sore from my exercises.

I think I only sort of believe in TMTS, even though I'm probably also feeling its effects.  I read somewhere (and now I can't remember where), that it's not really the amount of running that you're doing as much as the higher the volume, the more the issues that you already have (poor form, wrong shoes, etc) come to light.  And then you add "insufficient recovery", and that's when you have a real problem.   So in a perfect world with perfect form, you could get away with adding miles more quickly, if that makes sense.  But us mortals need to be more careful.  And not neglect the supporting muscles!

Cherie- Lemon curd is like a lemon custard that is made from lemon juice, sugar, egg yolks, and butter.  This cake has lemon curd in the batter, in the frosting, and will have it between the layers too.  Oh, and a Limoncello syrup.   I am thinking about putting fresh strawberries on top, since they just came into season here, but that might mess with the sweet-sour balance.

Stair climb races sound hellish!  My sister did one, and to me it just didn't sound like fun at all.  But then again, running a half marathon didn't sound like fun either.

Ginny- Sounds like a good choice to move to the state park for your walk!

Coralie- Hope the StrideBox is yummy!  I have some gels left over from my HM training that are just sort of making me sad right now.  But I will use them eventually!

Everyone else, hope you have a great day!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Zel: thanks for the early start. Smile  The last day of school was fine, though it took about three hours to change rooms. I did my five and now I am doing this...

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Awood: Those are for you.

Bin: Best of luck to you. I hope you have good weather and get a 1:47. We will need pics of the headband, of course. Smile

DW is also done with school(we're both teachers) and today we are going to the local thrift shop for some old rubbish clothes for our mud run. We also need a new venting fan for the bathroom so it's off to the hardware store. At some point I will do some miles, likely four or five, just for the fun of it. The mud run is early Saturday and my massage is on Monday! YES!! No more knots, kinks, and lactic acid. Yes, I will squeal like a stuck pig and tears will be welling in my eyes but it will be worth it.

Have a good day, Pens.

Bin Running

Mel, Morning.. Continue to read good progress abt that knee..

Jack, Thanks... Sound a fun race and a good Monday to follow.. haa.. WIll try to touch that 1:47

Had a heavy chilli crab pasta for lunch.. Last carbo loading I guess.. Probably, a light dinner later before the HM.. Maybe a small bowl of rice and some banana milk smoothies for dessert.. Will also try to nap for 2-3 hrs if I can..

To be accountable:
            Goal 1 - PR (1:48:44)
            Goal 2 - Sub 1:47
            Goal 3 -  As close to 1:45 as possible

Will be running with a friend as most moved to FM.. Hope to get some pic with headbad.. haa He is planning for sub 1:48 with a negative split.. When asked abt my plan, I said "Start out at 5:00 per km (8mpm I think) and hold on for dear life"..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

Bin, you got this my friend. Good luck! Now go get that 1:47, ha, then I'll have new goal to shoot for.

Jack, mmm, Natural Light.

Zel, you sure have a Betty Crocker hand at cooking, it always sound very good.

Scotty, been thinking about you and all that water, stay safe.

Night Shift sucks!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning Penguins!

Managed to sneek 4 miles in at lunch - note to self, don't eat lunch first and then run in the 90 degree sun. Oh well,  miles are in. Looking to get around 6 in tonight.

She Can - When ever I hear of a stair race I always picture a mob of people running up the staircase in an office building! LOL!

Zelanie - on the TMTS and PT topic - I read that you can strengthen core, hips, supporting muscles, etc, but if you don't improve your form the strengthening doesn't really prevent injury. Also, form is super important during PT - its something you don't notice the difference in until the therapist corrects you and you can feel the difference.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Philliefan33

Good morning Penguins!

Mel -- I'm going to have to go catch up with yesterday's thread to see why you are making a cake, but it sounds delicious!

Jack -- welcome to Summer.  This is the only time of year that I wish I had made the career choice to be a teacher.  But there's a good chance that If I had tried to be a teacher I would be in jail by now, because I would lose my temper and throttle some bratty kid who obviously wasn't being taught proper behavior and discipline at home.  Have fun at the mud run with DW!

Bin -- good luck tomorrow!

Mitch -- yes, night shift is not good.  Get some sleep today.

Gus -- good job getting in the miles, even with the heat.

AFM -- I did an un-intended 9-mile LR last night.  I wanted to do 7 miles, out-n-back on a local walking trail.  At 3.5 mile point, I was having "intestinal issues" and had to make a decision -- run 1 mile further to my gym to use the bathroom, or turn back towards home and probably have to find a bush and  sacrifice a sock before I made it home.  I opted to run to the gym.  I took care of business, got a drink and headed back home.  This all took longer than I had planned for, so it got dark when I was still about 1.5 miles from my car.  There was really no choice but to just keep running, but by the time I got back to the car and phone I had two missed calls and a text from DH wondering where I was.  He was about ready to send out a search party and was not amused by my story, but really -- what could I have done???

Bin Running

Mitch, thanks. Night shift sucks. Hang in there.

Margo, not tmr. In 4 hrs time. Just had a 2 hrs nap. Now, doing last min check and have my banana smoothies.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Philliefan33

Margo, not tmr. In 4 hrs time. Just had a 2 hrs nap. Now, doing last min check and have my banana smoothies.

I forgot that where you live it is already tomorrow!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Mornin' all. Been a bit since I've checked in. My bad. All is well.  Still a bit stiff from the half.  I still haven't written up the RR.  The pics are in from the race - here's is the one decent floater they captured of me.  Yeah, that really is how I run.   LOL  Oh, my moobs aren't that big, really.  Not sure why it looks like I need a manzier!   ROFL  OOOOOhhh man... I just compared that to my 2010 half - same race.  I did need a manzier... ugly.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

After work yesterday I did my slow and easy Hot Day run.  92 degrees, 'feels like' temp of 98 degrees, dewpoint of 73.  A very slow and easy 3 miles done in 34 minutes at one of my favorite parks along so-called paved trails.  I say 'so-called" because all the rain we got this past weekend really zapped the park.  At some points along the trail there were pieces of asphalt from the trail lying around that had been 'washed' away.  At one point there was NO pavement at all for a while, the paved part of the trail was completely covered by dirt and debris.   I had to 'step carefully' at several spots along my route.  Even so, nice little outing, felt pretty good, and the heat did not really bother me all that much.  Guess I'm getting acclimatized for the Texas summer to come.   Today is a rest day and tomorrow I have my 31st event of 2013, the Veteran's Victory 5K out near Randolph Air Force Base.

Zelanie, you are up pretty early for a West Coast girl!  Or maybe up late.  Hope your appointment goes well/went well!

Good stuff, Jack, nice way to celebrate your 5 done.  I should have gone to the Riverwalk yesterday instead of the park, then I could have enjoyed a VERY cold one after my hot weather run.   Good luck with the mud run!  Old clothes?  Heck with that....just wear THONGS.  No problem, no worries, right?  Big grin

Good luck with the half, Bin!  You will take lots of photos, right?  Cuz those Singapore ladies are quite lovely, as I recall from my time over there....MANY years ago....  Big grin

No worries, Mitch, the waters they are now starting to recede. The problem we have now is STANDING water in many places, and we have a few cases already in our State of West Nile Virus. Before my trail run yesterday, I put my bug spray on.

note to self, don't eat lunch first and then run in the 90 degree sun.  lol, Gustav.  This made me recall the time I ate some pizza before a run...and then ended up puking on some poor old lady's yappy little dog.   Sure shut the dog up, lol.

Well, Margo, you just have to tell your DH, sometimes on a run, sh*t happens... Wink.  Funny about the messages waiting for you.  I often forget to even turn my phone on, that's how much I use the darn thing, lol.  Once I got home from a run and Gail said "Didn't you get my message?"  I said "Wait a minute..."   turned my phone on, checked, and said "Yeah, I got it, it's right here, see?"   Gail was not amused.

Nice floater photo of you, Vance!  Except...what's that dark thing in the road to your left?  Looks like a runner ahead of you might have left a 'gift' on the road for everyone else.... Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning! 5-6 miles if the chiro leaves me time for those. Good luck, Bin! Rock it and get back to us and let us know how it went!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Actually doing OK for time, so I figured I'd check back in and wish Bin good luck!

Gustav- Good point!  And I guess TMTS comes in because when we run past our current fitness, our form breaks down.

Vance- I am only seeing the "before" photo, not the after!

Scotty- Up late, not early.  Until school is out, I can't manage many late nights.  Glad the heat wasn't too bad for you!

Margo- I think you made the right choice.  DH needs to relax a little. Smile

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

My FAT city:

San Antonio keeps slipping to bottom of America's fittest cities report - San Antonio keeps falling on its annual physical.  San Antonio came in at 48 out of 50 for "fittest cities" in the country on the American College of Sport Medicine's American Fitness Index. The sixth annual report looks at a variety of factors to determine the rankings. Some categories include preventative health behaviors, health care access and community resources that encourage healthy and fit lifestyles. This is the third straight year San Antonio has fallen on its ranking, from 33 in 2011; 42 in 2012; and 48 in 2013.   San Antonio-New Braunfels scored 35.1 out of a possible 100 points for 2013, besting only Detroit and Oklahoma City.  San Antonio met the target goals for number of farmer's markets per capita and physical education classes but had higher percentages of obesity, smoking and diabetes.   Other Texas cities include Austin at 11, Houston at 43 and Dallas at 44. http://www.kens5.com/news/San-Antonio-slips-for-a-third-year-to-bottom-of-fittest-cities-list-209534001.html

Here is the full list for America's fittest cities in 2013:

1. Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minn.
                                2. Washington, D.C.  
                                3. Portland, Ore.  
                                4. San Francisco, Calif.   
                                5. Denver, Colo.  
                                6. Boston, Mass. 
                                7. Sacramento, Calif.  
                                8. Seattle, Wash.  
                                9. Hartford, Conn.  
                                10. San Jose, Calif. 
                                11. Austin, Texas  
                                12. Salt Lake City, Utah 
                                13. Cincinnati, Ohio  
                                14. San Diego, Calif. 
                                15. Raleigh, N.C. 
                                16. Pittsburgh, Pa. 
                                17. Baltimore, Md. 
                                18. Virginia Beach, Va. 
                                19. Cleveland, Ohio 
                                20. Richmond, Va*
                                21. Atlanta, Ga.
                                22. Providence, R.I.
                                23. Buffalo, N.Y.
                                24. New York, N.Y.
                                25. Philadelphia, Pa.
                                26. Milwaukee, Wis. 
                                27. Chicago, Ill. 
                                28. Kansas City, Mo.
                                29. Los Angeles, Calif.
                                30. Columbus, Ohio
                                31. St. Louis, Mo.
                                32. Nashville, Tenn.  
                                33. Phoenix, Ariz.
                                34. Orlando, Fla.
                                35. Riverside, Calif. 
                                36. Charlotte, N.C.
                                37. Jacksonville, Fla.
                                38. New Orleans, La.
                                39. Las Vegas, Nev.
                                40. Tampa, Fla.
                                41. Birmingham, Ala.
                                42. Miami, Fla.
                                43. Houston, Texas
                                44. Dallas, Texas
                                45. Indianapolis, Ind. 
                                46. Memphis, Tenn.
                                47. Louisville, Ky.
                                48. San Antonio, Texas 
                                49. Detroit, Mich.  
                                50. Oklahoma City, Okla.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt