Beginners and Beyond

Interesting fact about alcohol (Read 223 times)

Docket_Rocket

Apparently, lily needs glasses?  For her vision and soon for her alcohol.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

notimeforthat

Another fun fact: Alcohol slows the metabolic rate and allows for more fat storage.

LRB

Another fun fact: Alcohol slows the metabolic rate and allows for more fat storage.

Which is precisely why I have not had a yummy taste of that liquid deliciousness in two months while trying to get down to marathon weight, waaaah!

notimeforthat

Bingo. Dropping alcohol and soda is about the fastest way to drop lbs when training. Empty calories will kick your butt every time (she says as she eats Girl Scout cookies).

happylily

My weight has decreased over the years (from a 114 lbs 14 year old teenager to the present 103 lbs me), and I find that I cannot drink more than a glass of red wine at a time these days. If I drink two glasses, that's it, I need to crawl to bed... And I don't even drink once a week. I'm more likely to drink a bit more in the summer, something fresh like a white wine with lunch. That, I can handle better.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

In other words, alcohol helps you store extra fuel for your next marathon.  Big grin

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

MrNamtor

When it comes to alcohol, the last thing I want is facts.

Haha!

MrNamtor

Don't be such a Debbie Downer all the time AllieBig grin

notimeforthat

Don't be such a Debbie Downer all the time AllieBig grin

Just keeping the masses informed. Do as you please Smile

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

The thing with alcohol is that if I'm going to blow all those calories, I'd rather just have a piece of cake or something!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

LRB

The thing with alcohol is that if I'm going to blow all those calories, I'd rather just have a piece of cake or something!

I am the opposite, I would rather have the alcohol.  Hilarious!

Better I Leave

WERD...Cool

**pours self a glass of a nice Pinot Noir**

delicate flower

We run gazillions of miles.  Have both once in a while.

<3

LRB

We run gazillions of miles.  Have both once in a while.

I do not eat a lot of sweets so they are not my weakness, pizza is.  And believe me when I tell you, I do damage!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I still drink a few on the weekends, and I'm dropping 1-2 pounds a week on the regular.  You can call them "empty" calories, but calories are still just a unit of energy.  You can burn them, compensate for them, etc.  It is what it is.  LTH doesn't seem to have a beer belly.  Like everything else...moderation.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013