Beginners and Beyond

Interesting fact about alcohol (Read 223 times)

Hip Redux

And you can't friggin' find the place unless you one of the initiated.

This made me LOL, so true.

My dad said it hadn't changed - the ladies working there were just as grumpy as when he was a kid.  :P

And then of course, we would head to Mike's Pastries!   This was back in the day - I went to Mike's recently and the lines were incredible.  I don't remember that a few decades ago...

Better I Leave

I thought this thread was about BOOZE?! 

It is...Didn't you notice the glass of wine in my pic? It was just happenstance that that plate of food was there beside it. Big grin

Dr. Cornsitter

This made me LOL, so true.

My dad said it hadn't changed - the ladies working there were just as grumpy as when he was a kid.  :P

And then of course, we would head to Mike's Pastries!   This was back in the day - I went to Mike's recently and the lines were incredible.  I don't remember that a few decades ago...

Go to Modern Pastry. SOOOOOOOOOOO much better and the line is shorter, maily bc the place is so much smaller and you'd have to wait down the street (which people somtimes do). But they fill the cannolis fresh rather than giving you something that's been sitting in a case for hours. And they're so friendly it makes up for the grumpy ladies at Regina's.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

Hip Redux

Go to Modern Pastry. SOOOOOOOOOOO much better and the line is shorter, maily bc the place is so much smaller and you'd have to wait down the street (which people somtimes do). But they fill the cannolis fresh rather than giving you something that's been sitting in a case for hours. And they're so friendly it makes up for the grumpy ladies at Regina's.

My grandfather was friends with Mike, of Mike's pastry - so we used to go and get some special treats and whatnot when I was a kid.  At that point, the North End was all Italians and everyone knew everyone else... and when they still had things like Latin mass (boy, those were fun...).

Ok, now I want cannoli and struffoli!

notimeforthat

Oh please.  What about the disease stats from obesity?  Spare us the moral crusade against alcohol.  Sugar or starch or fat or anything else is bad when not consumed in moderation.  Hell, water can kill you and it has killed a few slower runners in marathons.

Alcohol IS a contributor to obesity moron. It is no different from sodas from a standpoint of empty calories. You don't have very good reading comprehension either, as I was clear in stating it had NOTHING to do with a moral bent about alcohol. I NEVER said it was bad, good or any other emotional attachment you can put to it...it is what it is.

I merely pointed it that it blunts the metabolism post consumption and will encourage the body to store calories as added fat when people are eating along with alcohol consumption.

Incidentally, alcoholics tend to have wasting syndrome because they use alcohol as their only source of calories towards the end of the disease. The "gut" that people see is actually fluid accumulation from liver failure.

happylily

Alcohol IS a contributor to obesity moron. It is no different from sodas from a standpoint of empty calories. You don't have very good reading comprehension either, as I was clear in stating it had NOTHING to do with a moral bent about alcohol. I NEVER said it was bad, good or any other emotional attachment you can put to it...it is what it is.

I merely pointed it that it blunts the metabolism post consumption and will encourage the body to store calories as added fat when people are eating along with alcohol consumption.

Incidentally, alcoholics tend to have wasting syndrome because they use alcohol as their only source of calories towards the end of the disease. The "gut" that people see is actually fluid accumulation from liver failure.

Moron?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

notimeforthat

low tolerance today for people trying to assign me labels like MORAL CRUSADER when I simply put a fact about alcohol out there. That was all.

Just because someone CHOOSES to eat food instead of drink their calories...hardly a reason to attack.

Better I Leave

happylily

LOL...

Btw, nice food pics, Dave. :-)

Dr. Cornsitter

low tolerance today for people trying to assign me labels like MORAL CRUSADER when I simply put a fact about alcohol out there. That was all.

Just because someone CHOOSES to eat food instead of drink their calories...hardly a reason to attack.

I agree with you. I still drink and eat when and what I shouldn't. I didn't think you were passing judgment on people like me. For heaven's sake, people, we all know the risks! Don't get mad someone brought it up! lol

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

happylily

Personally, I would sometimes call LTH a prick, but never a moron. And I really do like the bastard. (Am I going to get banned for saying all this?)

delicate flower

(Am I going to get banned for saying all this?)

No, but possibly promoted.

<3

Is this going to turn into a meltdown thread?

Dave

cmb4314

I like food and alcohol both way, way too much.

It's a good thing I run, or else......

Oh wait, I'm couch bound right now.  Crap.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

MrNamtor

.... could be the start of a melt down thread.

Just call me Namtordomus.