Beginners and Beyond

Wacky Wobbling Wednesday Penguins (Read 38 times)

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." Wink It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Howdy Penguins!

So today (yesterday for y'all) I did an Insanity workout. A little kick butt. In the morning I plan on doing another Insanity workout and then I have an ultimate Frisbee match. I don't know if I will come home and go for a short run or not, but we shall see what happens after tomorrow morning's activities.

I really want to run outside, but thinking it isn't safe for me just yet. There is fresh fallen snow, but underneath it is ice. I was thinking about taking up cross country skiing up here, but I have to look a little more into it.

I was hoping to maybe getting out and doing a "Penguin shuffle," (aka speed snow/ice walking) outside, but the high this weekend is only NEGATIVE 31°. I will have to assess later on if I even want to try it or not. I will definitely have enough layers on if I do, but I want to make sure I am safe about it!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! Keep on trucking Penguins!!!

hog4life

Rach, the high is -31? Oh my!! Please do be safe. Are there others up there that run? Maybe you could get some tips. I read somewhere about wearing spikes, would that be an option for you? Sounds like some good workouts.

I ran 5 yesterday at 9:14 pace. It was such a better run than the day before when I ended up walking. The soreness in my rib cage is just about gone, thank goodness.

Mitch

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Rach - It sounds like you've got a pretty busy schedule.  Reading about life in Alaska is pretty entertaining.

Mitch - I'm glad to hear that things are healing up, and feeling better.

AFM - I have to head toward Detroit this morning.  I have 8 more miles scheduled tonight, but it's probably going to be hotel treadmill for me.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Rach, Mitch, and other Penguins soon to follow!

Rach - croos country skiing, snow shoeing, and spikes are all good options.

As for me I am already starting to look at how to modify my Higdon novice program after only being on it one day - like when can I add more days, when can I add doubles, when can I add speedwork . So yesterday I did my 1 1/2 miles in the morning and at night I did a leg searing, lung burning Vo2 Max interval workout on the bike trainer. At the end I thought I was going to puke - mission accomplished, fix satisfied!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Rach - -31?  Vicious!

Mitch - that is a great pace.

Awood - I don't blame you, still too cold for me.

Gustav - we have strange measures for progress, no?

AFM - off to work.  I'm planning 6 on the dreadmill tonight.  It is supposed to be warming up by next week.  I may venture outside then.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  5 recovery miles tonight.

I am still tired and my MLR didn't help last night, LOL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Good morning.

Rest for me. I've been fighting off sickness (cold I hope not that flu!) and there was no more fighting....it arrived yesterday. Was hoping to start crosstraining at the gym again this week but my knee isn't any better, and add coughing and runny nose....yeah nope Sad

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Dad on the run.

Rach - Your superhuman

Mitch - Glad your feeling better

Awood, Damaris, N-Bug - Enjoy the runs later

Gustav - Good luck with the modifications

Kristin - Enjoy the rest

AFM - Going to bed, just got home from a night shift. Going to head out for 5 or 6 when I get up this evening. Took the past two days off, calves were super tight after the 10 miler Sunday.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Mitch, thanks for the help on the hill work.  I'll check the elevation and map.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang, Rach, negative 31, wow, that's about as cold as it can get for a witch's ti......ummm...that's really cold!  Stay safe up there!   What is an 'insanity workout"?

Rach, the high is -31? Oh my!! Please do be safe. Are there others up there that run?  Yeah, Mitch, there are...they are called wolves and bears... Wink  Glad you had a good run!  Why were your ribs sore?

Doesn't LRB (from the Dailies) live in Detroit, Awood?  Maybe y'all can have an FE.  Safe trip!

Sounds like you are progressing right along, Gustav!  Good luck!

Warming up, umm, okay, Vance...warming up would be about what...20 degrees for you? Wink  Good luck with your miles today.

Good luck with the miles, Damaris.  What's "MLR"?

Kristin, you are just having all kinds of bad luck here...the knee won't get better, and now the flu.....did you get a gypsy mad at you or something?  Hope you feel better soon all around!

Happy sleeping, Jimmy!  Good luck with the miles later.

AFM:  After work, I am going to pick up my packet for my 5K I have on Saturday..and then I am going to go do a few miles in the sunny skies and SEVENTY-FIVE degree weather we are going to have today, with a dew point below 50, so very low humidity, etc., SWEEEET! Will probably run at Fort Sam Houston and do my "Dog Alley Route" to treat my 4-legged pals along that way.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Medium Long Run, Scotty.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning colony!! Smile

So Rach, did you get in trouble to get sent somewhere that cold? lol  Wow, that's crazy.  I'm enjoying the cold here, but that's a bit much.

8 miles done, still thawing out with some mocha coffee. Big grin

Hope everyone has a great day, stay warm!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

hog4life

Scotty, are you trying to be funny again?  Big grin  They stuck a needle through my rib cage to get the lung biopsy, I think the needle had one of the expander cranks on it. I also heard the doc say, "oh, it must be hitting a rib bone, lets try again". Good thing I was numb, at least on the outside.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty, are you trying to be funny again?

Mitch, Gail says the word for me is "peculiar."   lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt