Beginners and Beyond

J's Run 5k - RR and Photos (Read 67 times)

YAYpril - B-Plus

On Saturday, May 11, 2013, I ran J’s Run 5k. This was intended to be my “redemption race” from a lousy half marathon performance two weeks ago. I needed to feel good about my running again. This race was just a couple miles from my house and flat. It benefited pancreatic cancer research.

I woke up on Saturday morning and it was about 60 degrees and HUMID. Not ideal conditions to race in – I’m not a good warm weather runner. My 5k PR (27:49) was set last October in about 50 degrees and dry. I figured I would still give it a shot though, because regardless, I was going to be in this race so I would try to make the best of it.

We got to the race about an hour early and met up with my friends, including lilac_jive.

About 20 minutes before the start I did about a half-mile warmup. (I suck at warming up)

We lined up and… we’re off!

Right from the start I could feel that it would be a rough race. It was just so HUMID… and felt like it would downpour any moment. (I kind of wish it would have) In the first mile, I heard a woman ahead of me say to her companion “Alright… the first hill is coming up.” I thought to myself, “WHAT hill?” It was about a foot of elevation over a tenth of a mile, LOL.

Splits are from my Garmin, and I will take its accuracy with a grain of salt. It’s measured my last 3 races as short, and I do have issues with it coming up short when I run with my RP. It measured this course as 3.04 miles.

Mile 1: 8:56

Mile 2 is when it started feeling REALLY hard for me. I slowed a bit. 9:11

Mile 3… just wanted to be done. I hate 5k’s, I really do. LOL. Somewhere in here started the nice downhill to the finish. 8:55

Last .04: 7:41 pace

Garmin time: 27:19. Gun time: 27:22. PR by about 30 seconds!

Official Results:

F30-39: 9/20

F Overall: 18/80

Overall: 39/134

I was thrilled. I can’t wait to see what I can do in ideal conditions. Next stop… 26: xx.

Thanks for reading!

delicate flower

Nice PR!  I'm glad you got some redemption.

<3

Pinktastic

Way to go, April!!  Thanks for the RR - and no one had to threaten you this time!!  You look very strong in the pictures!!  Really love the one of you and Jess!!   Good luck with the marathon training - I know you'll do Pinktacularly!!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Man, it is tough running when it is humid. Nice pr!!

Philliefan33

Good job, April.  Way to bounce back!

Mile 3 is also where I remember that I hate 5Ks.

Nice job!

(Waiting for Damaris to chime in & laugh at your "humid conditions".)

Dave

happylily

You did it, April! Congratulations! And great smiles, ladies! Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

BruceD555

Woohoo! Nice job of hitting the redemption PR in spite of the humidity.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Great job on the PR April! I hate running when it's humid. Angry

- Andrew

Sloooow.

You did excellent for miserable conditions. Humidity really does make a huge difference, it is awful.

Congratulations on the PR!

Good job hitting the PR in humid conditions. 26:XX is just around the corner.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

hog4life

April, congrats on the PR! That cracked me up on th one foot hill Big grin

B-Plus

Redemption is so sweet! Congrats! That middle mile is always tough ... for me, it's always an issue of maintaining my focus. Congrats on conquering that beastly hill as well. Nice splits!

Ball of Fury

Congrats on the pr April!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Luke79

Good job April.  I'm glad you have your redemption now Smile

Luke