Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's Love MonDAILY (Read 28 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Monday !!!  Hope all injured Penguins are healing up.  This will be a slow week for me with little to do at work and a rest week.  Guess I will have plenty of time to visit the doctor or PT.

Congrats on the Daddy/Daughter run, Kristin.

Have a great day and week!!!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  A run and weights tonight.

Jerry, have a great day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jerry - Sounds like the type of week you need right now.  Take it easy, and get healed up ASAP.

Docket - Have a great day.  Glad you're feeling better.

AFM - I went out for 5.33 miles this morning, and averaged a 9:13 pace.  The foot felt pretty good.  I could feel that there was still a little something there, but nothing bad.  I'm icing it right now.  Most of the bruising is already gone.  That's pretty awesome IMO, since it JUST happened late last week.  I'll probably run another 4 tonight.

This is going to be a weird week.  We're supposed to have a lot of son, but scattered storms all week.  We won't know what's coming until it gets here.  Also, I'm taking customers on a chartered fishing trip on Friday.  I'll be on the road for a significant amount of the week.  I also have a trip to Indianapolis on Saturday.  So, the miles are going to be run, when they're run.  They will be run though.  I'll make sure of that.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Glad the foot is better AW.

Almost forgot....Go HAWKS !!!

Good morning friends.

Spent 40 min in the pool then swung some kettle bells.

Later

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

I did catch a slight cold last week and my chest is congested but so far, asthma has only been a bother but not a hindrance.  Hope it stays that way.

Glad the foot is behaving, Awood.

Tomas, I love the kettleballs.  Awesome workout.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

GO HAWKS!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Whip out my kinvara 2 which is a 4 or is it 6mm heel drop. Just 1.5M with it but I ran outside at the track. Air is still a little hazy but it has drop below 50 this

morning. Hope to have better air tmr.

Fires are still burning but the change of wind direction bring us some relieve. Still no rain.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

From the Internet.

Morning pens!

Saturday's miserable punishment run was good for something :P I knocked out 40 minutes in 88% humidity this morning no problem. 2 minutes walk/8 jog x3, 3 walk/7 jog for the 4th set, ended with strides on the grass. Sweaty and out of breath from the humidity but otherwise felt great! I'm almost daring to think about being able to race something (short - 5k probably) mid to late fall...

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!

I did post this late yesterday, but I ran 5 miles!  Outside and in the rain, even. Smile  That's my first 5-miler since the HM and it's also my first week over 20 MPW. Smile  So, progress!  PT today, probably just run the mile or so warmup while I'm there.

Jerry- I hope that you are able to get in somewhere quickly.

Awood- Good luck on fitting the miles into your week.  Or should I say, fitting the week into your miles. Smile

D- Hope the cold passes quickly!

Tomas- Morning!

Bin- Glad to hear your air is improving.

Lauren- Hooray for progress!  I am itching to race, too.  I hope you find just the right 5K for your return!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!  It's hot outside, and neither DH nor I slept well, so we slept in this morning.  Dusty, on the other hand, has been a BAD DOG this past weekend!  DH has been taking him out in the backyard on leash because he's discovered he can jump the fence and go visiting.  On Saturday he yanked the leash out of DH's hand, hopped the fence, and took off.  Luckily I found him about 10 minutes later visiting the neighbors and had no trouble getting him in, but he was panting like crazy.  Silly dog, it's hot outside!  Then later, when we went to town, he went counter surfing and ate the tops off the last four scones left in the pan from breakfast.  Unfortunately while we think he's a bad dog, he thinks he scored an adventure and a nice treat.  So DH is installing one of those electronic dog fences today, and everything on the counter is under cover from now on.

Jerryb -- sounds like you might get bored this week!!

Docket -- enjoy your run and weights!!

awood -- glad your foot is feeling better!!

T-rod -- woo-hoo for the pool and kettlebells!!

Bin -- sorry your air still sucks!!

Lauren -- glad today's run was good!!

Zelanie -- glad you got a 5-miler in!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Hopesmom - Bad dog!  Happy dog!  Good luck with the e-fence.  We don't have fences around here, so you have to either walk your dog on leash or have an e-fence.  Several of our neighbors use them, but the results have been mixed.  One neighbor has replaced his 3 times in the past 5 years.  Another has a hard time remembering to change the batteries in the collar, so her dog gets out all the time.  OTOH, the folks up the street have 3 dogs on ecollars and they never get out.

Jerry - have you made an appt. yet for the doctor?

D - enjoy your run and weights tonight.

Awood - good luck getting your runs in.  Fishing sounds like fun.  Where will you go?

Tomas - a good day for a swim.

Bin - I'm glad you were able to run outside today, even if it is still smoky.  Do you feel the effects much?

Lauren - good job getting out this morning in the heat and humidity.  I melted just walking the dog.

Zelanie - congrats on the 5 miles and the 20 mile week.  How does the knee feel today?  Running in the rain actually sounds nice right now.

AFM:  recovery run later.  I'm feeling a weird twinge in my Achilles.  No pain, just a twang.  I need to be careful, I think.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

One damn thing after another!  Just getting over this 'congestion" thingy...then last night I apparently ate the 'sausage from hell." Vomiting and "other-end-stuff' started at 2 a.m..just about continuously until 4 a.m.   Because of my hernia that my doc found a couple months ago, I initially thought, with the symptoms I had - vomiting, nausea, sweating, etc - that the hernia might have gotten strangulated.  Scary!  So Gail hustled me on down to the military base Emergency Room at 4. a.m.   When the admitting nurse heard I had a hernia, he took me right back to the docs.  hooked me up to an IV, took blood, urine, etc, then rushed me over to to a cat-scan. Back to the room, where I vomited yet some more - how much body fluids can one body get rid of, I would've thought I was running on EMPTY by then, sheesh - gave me some nausea medicine and then got me back into bed, with docs and nurses poking and prodding - 'this spot hurt?  How about here?", etc.  Cat-scan came back:  no strangulated hernia, and no diverticulitis, thank goodness.  However, they did find a nodule on the lower part of my lung, and my simple cyst in my left kidney (which I have had for years, no change in that, thank goodness), so I have to make a followup with my own doc to get the lung checked.   They said it looked like it's been there for a while and appears not to be 'bothering" anything, which is why I have still been able to run.  But now that they know it's there, it has to be 'monitored' from now on for growth change, etc.  I ended up staying in the ER for four and a half-hours, as I was quite dehydrated, and they got me back to where I could swallow some clear liquids without barfing.  So now I am home today and on the BRAT diet for the next couple of days, some fun.   Well, I consider myself lucky, it could've been that hernia, in which case they would've rushed me right away into surgery.

So a not-so-fun end to my weekend.  However, before all this occurred, I did get in two 5Ks...one on Saturday and one on Sunday:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/be75e56c15a14913a65d26dfbbcf191a/resume#focus

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/Post/eee9dc563732434fbf976d3d9bec9d3d#focus

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Sheesh, Scotty.  Feel better!

Damaris

Fundraising Page