Beginners and Beyond

Fritiniency Friday Penguins (Read 23 times)

Zelanie

Cherie- Sounds like a fun day!  Hope you have a great time!

GinnyinPA

Scotty - have fun at your race tomorrow.  I've been to SeaWorld in San Diego, but not yours.  You're a long way from the sea.

Awood - sounds like an ideal run, though another 10 degrees would be nice.

Damaris - you're getting your mileage back up again.  I'm so glad you've healed so quickly.

Margo - you can still have fun with the running - maybe do some fun short 5-10k races or things like mud runs or trail runs.  As long as you're not caught up in pursuing PRs, lower mileage shouldn't hurt.  I understand what you mean about taking early retirement.  My husband is 17 years older than I, so we had the choice of enjoying his retirement and doing the travel we both love, or waiting until I retired when I'd end up having to do it alone or not at all.  Obviously, we chose to go have fun together.  We spent 4 1/2 years traveling 8 months out of the year, then his health issues made us decide to settle down for a while, but still do some trips.  I thought I'd go back to work, but given the recession, that hasn't happened.  We live on a fairly tight budget, since my early complete retirement wasn't in the plan, but I have no regrets.

Bin - good job on the early miles, especially since today was a late day.  Fridays usually are aren't they?

HopesMom - sounds like you're getting really excited about the competition.  Is it next weekend?  I hope the knee does improve with the new roller and extra exercise.

Jack - sorry the AT is still acting up.  I hope you get your run in tomorrow.  Enjoy your short day today.

Melanie - I hope you don't get too wet this evening.  I like the story of the competition between the two runners.  It will keep both of them on their toes, which is the point, right?

Cherie - enjoy your writers' conference.  Weekend or just a day trip?

AFM:  off and on sprinkles all day.  I don't know whether I'll take advantage of the warmer temps to go out and run or just do cross training later.

tracilynn

my husband is 8 years younger than me. Grrrrr (cougar growl)

hey yall!  Long time no see

I managed a mile today and elliptical and upper body weights. TGIF

~~~~~~~

Traci

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

We weren't supposed to get snow, but we did :-(

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Robert31320

Team TJ

Happy Friday, Penguins!

5 miles for me at lunch.  Fort Stewart has quite a few running trails that they recently marked really well!  I ran a wooded path today that I never knew existed.

We're running a 5K tomorrow morning, the first since November 2013.  It's just started raining here and supposed to rain through Saturday evening.  The race should be fun.

Have a great evening everyone.

Running for TJ because he can't.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Awood, 42 is way too cold for we cold-weather wimp South Texans.

Enjoy the cooler weather, Damaris!

Congrats on the 8M, Bin...one step closer to your 2014 goal.

Hope the rain plays nice for you, Margo!   And just kick back and enjoy what running you can do.  Hey, pushing DH around in a wheelchair will give you some upper body workouts. 

Enjoy the early out day, Jack, and the 3-day weekend!   Good luck with the upcoming long run.

You got a whole $7, HsM?  I have the Nook and all I got was a lousy $3.56.    Hope spring gets your way soon!

I got hold of UPS, Zelanie,and they said it would arrive 'sometime Friday...weather depending..." sheesh...like the cable guy, arriving between 8 a.m and 4 p.m., lol.   Hope your heel behaves for the 4 miles.

Hope SheCan is being very creative at her conference!

Actually, Ginny, the Texas State Aquarium and the Gulf of Mexico in Corpus Christi area is only  about 3 hours from San Antonio, so not too bad.   Whatever you decide to do today, have fun!

A mile is a good start for your comeback, Traci!

Nice to find a new trail, Robert!  Good luck with the 5K. If it rains at the 5K, just wear one of these...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

my husband is 8 years younger than me. Grrrrr (cougar growl)

hey yall!  Long time no see

I managed a mile today and elliptical and upper body weights. TGIF

Hi!

scotty, I need one Of those since my routes have no shade.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Hi guys! Weights for me, but an off day from running. I might stick to a 5-day schedule for the time being instead of trying to cram in a silly 1 miler or less on that 6th day - thinking that the extra rest day might make it easier to maintain the jump to 24-25 mpw (though this week it wasn't really a rest day for the legs - deadlifts happened). We shall see. Did 5 with 4x strides yesterday and have anywhere from 7-9 planned for tomorrow morning.

Philliefan33

The rain held off so I got 5.5 miles in and stayed dry.

HSM -- My Kindle refund was only $4.xx.  I  borrow most of the e-books from the county library.  It sort of baffles DH how I can borrow a book without leaving home.

Ginny -- Gee,  I thought my old man was old   I've read some of your blog that you linked before (about your AT hikes), and it sounds like you made the right decision to make the time to enjoy things together.  DH and I aren't quite as adventurous as you, but we do want to explore the National Parks once we have the time.

Scotty, you can be my inspiration to just run for the pure joy of running.  Plus, the more I run, the more cookies I can afford to eat!

GinnyinPA

The rain held off while I ran six not so easy miles.  My last two runs have felt really hard for some reason.  Probably to make up for the really good long run I had last Sunday.  It actually got up to 60, which felt really hot with the long sleeved shirt I had on because of the clouds and 15 mph winds.

Robert - always fun to discover a new and good place to run.

Tracilynn - so how is the body behaving these days?

Awood - stupid forecasters.  But maybe they thought they'd be attacked if they said that dirty four letter word one more time.

Lauren - I've been doing well with more rest days.  I agree, one mile runs are not worth it - unless you're working on a streak.  You don't even get time to warm up.  Are you doing another group run tomorrow?

From the Internet.

Ginny - yes, it's my new weekly highlight, haha Smile

Docket_Rocket

8 miles with strides done.  Longest run since the surgery (except for the HM at hubby's pace).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page