Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins Look Mahvelous (Read 24 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Today is National Compliment Your Mirror Day!

PADRunner

3 miles this morning. We got a cold front over night! 72 this morning. Humidity 78% but still...

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rest day for me today.  I'm doing nuthin'....just chillin and resting up for my upcoming 3 races over the next 3 days. Yeah, PAD, it went down last night to 70 degrees for us....we actually slept with the windows open.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  6 miles to do tonight.

Damaris

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning and Happy 4th of July Eve.

Stay warm PAD.

Get ready for those races Scott.

We will do a short run after work.  But having a BBQ at work, but I can't eat and run, since I leave at 1:00.  What do I do?

BTW it is also "Eat Beans Day"   pftttttt...

Have a great day.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

oh oh, don't want to Damaris, Damaris.  Have a nice six.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!! I took yesterday off with cramps, so basically I caught up on sleep and watched TV and read a book. I did feel better enough in the evening to go to quartet rehearsal, and got DUMPED on with rain, wind, and lightning driving home! There were a lot of leaves and twigs all over the road, and our neighbors lost a couple of Bradford pear trees. And the tropical storm isn't even here yet! Chorus rehearsal tonight!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your cooler 3!!

scotty -- enjoy your nuthin' rest day!!

Docket -- have a good 6!!

Jerryb -- eat BBQ and run a little later!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Good morning penguins!

No running for me today.  I'm running a 5k tomorrow morning.

Scotty - 3 races, wow!

PAD and Scotty, nice that it's cooled off a bit for you.

Damaris, have a nice run.

Jerry, I'm with Hopesmom.  Just run a little later!  And maybe don't stuff yourself too much. Smile

Bin Running

Morning fellows.

Just getting ready to sleep. Did 2 in the AM and 4 after work with 4 x 800@5k in between.

Signed up for a end Aug HM and sort of put together a short plan for it using pfitz. Bought Hanson book on amazon but haven't had time to look thru it.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Phone check in for me. I ran four miles this morning and am running in a local 5k tomorrow before we get DS from the airport. I am hoping to get close to 20:00 but I'm not sure if I'm quite there yet. We shall see.

Philliefan33

Hi everyone.  SRD for me, but will yoga tonight to keep my streak going.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hope Arthur is being kind to you, Damaris.

But having a BBQ at work, but I can't eat and run, since I leave at 1:00.  What do I do?   Eat the BBQ...puke on the run.

Glad you're feeling better, HsM.  Stay safe in your crazy weather.

Good luck with your race tomorrow, Brilliant! Take race photos and be sure to post them for my Great Legs Fix so we can all enjoy your report. 

Sleep well, Bin.

Good luck with your 5K too, Jack!  Sub-20 coming up for you!

SRD for me, but will yoga tonight to keep my streak going.  Streak, Philly?  So this is nekkid yoga? 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Hey pens!  My Thursday "tempo" run is done!  6 miles at goal MP, plus a warmup and cool down.  It's always a confidence boost to get through those.

Now I am hungry enough to eat a small lion, watch out!  It's probably not good that I know my way around town to find all of the tasty treats now.  They brought a scale into my room last night (a hint?), and it looks like I've maintained reasonably well since I've gotten here, so that's good news I guess.  I'd like to maybe take off a few while I'm here if I can, though.  It might be a good time to do it just because I don't have a house full of snacks.  I do eat well at meals, though, I have to say.

PAD- Enjoy the cooler weather!

Scotty- Good luck on your 3 races this weekend!  Are you on pace to beat last year's number?

D- Hope your 6 aren't too stormy.

Jerry- I've had fairly decent luck here eating a pretty substantial breakfast (rice and beans) and then running maybe an hour later.  Maybe you will also have similar results?

HsM- Hope you're feeling better, and enjoy rehearsal!

Brilliant- Good luck tomorrow!

Bin- I am enjoying Hanson's so far.  I hope you do, too!

Jack- Good luck!  Sub-20 here you come!

Margo- Enjoy the yoga!

obiebyke

All right, Brilliant. It's you and me tomorrow! I'll be running my first half marathon. Thankfully I have the day off from work today, so I'm resting, drinking lots of water, and easing up on my usual carb-wary diet. I'm nervous!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

SheCan

Good morning Penguins!

PAD-- Yay@ 72*.  Nice, and good job on the 3 miles.

Scotty-- Good luck with your races this weekend, and have a great Forth!

Docket-- Good luck with your run this evening.

Jerry-- you don't want any baked beans right before your run?

HsM- I sure hope you're doing better today.  Yikes @ that storm.  Glad you're okay.

Brilliant-- good luck with your race tomorrow!

Bin-- Hi ya!  Having that Half Marathon to look forward to should give you some running motivation.  Happy dreams to you!

Jack-- good luck tomorrow... rooting for your sub 20.

Margo-- enjoy your yoga tonight.

Zelanie-- hey ya, great job on your tempo run.  I can't believe how focused you've still been with your running while on this trip.  Kudos to you.

Obiie-- you're going to do great!  I can't wait to read your RR (yes, you better write one! )  Nothing wrong with having a bit of nervous energy before a race.

I did 7 on the TM last night, and 9 today.  Yesterday evening after my run, the sky clouded all up, and we had our first monsoon rain!  If the weather is anywhere near accurate, I shouldn't have to be going to the gym for a bit (though i think I've just got used to it now!)

TodayJul 3

PM T-Storms

92°F / 70°F

PM T-Storms

<dl><dt>CHANCE OF RAIN:</dt><dd>40%</dd></dl> WIND: E at 9 mph

FriJul 4

Isolated T-Storms

88° / 70°

Isolated T-Storms

<dl><dt>CHANCE OF RAIN: 30%</dt></dl> WIND: S at 12 mph

SatJul 5

Isolated T-Storms

89° / 72°

Isolated T-Storms

<dl><dt>CHANCE OF RAIN: 30%</dt></dl><dl><dt>WIND: NW at 9 mph
                                </dt></dl>

SunJul 6

Isolated T-Storms

91° / 72°

Isolated T-Storms

<dl><dt>CHANCE OF RAIN: 30%</dt></dl> WIND: NW at 9 mph

MonJul 7

Isolated T-Storms

90° /  71°

Isolated T-Storms

<dl><dt>CHANCE OF RAIN: 30%</dt><dt>WIND: WNW at 9 mph</dt></dl>

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson