Beginners and Beyond

RR - Covenant Health Knoxville Half Marathon - Pics added (Read 50 times)

HobbitLegs

elevenses

On March 30th I ran the Covenant Health Knoxville Half-Marathon. It was in conjunction with the 10th anniversary of the Knoxville Marathon.

tl:dr - my goal was to break 2:00:00. I came in at 1:56:47. It was a great day.

Training: I used a slightly modified version of Ryan Hall's 10 week (short) plan. I also incorporated an assload of hills into my runs. You will see why.

The weather was gorgeous. It was 34 and clear at the start and had warmed into the 40's by the time I finished. The course begins next to the Sunsphere which was built for the 1982 World's Fair and was featured in a Simpson's episode. It is not currently a wig shop. The observation deck is about to be renovated and there is a bar/event venue on one of the floors. If you are in downtown Knoxville and need a wig. J's Mega Mart on Gay St. can supply your wig needs.

I participated in the race with several friends, but I ran it on my own, as we were all over the place with goal times and paces. I kissed my husband and wished my friends well and hopped into my corral. After the national anthem, the gun fired at 7:30 and we were off to "Rocky Top" which was appropriate because the course began with an uphill climb.

Here is a picture of the start.

start

The start would set the tone for the race. It was up and down the entire course. The first mile and a half took us through the Ft. Sanders neighborhood and University of Tennessee campus. I just eased in to things as the hordes thinned out a bit. After we left campus, we turned onto Neyland Drive which is relatively flat for a little over a mile. I got my first compliment on my Blerch shirt along this stretch.

The glorious flat stretch would end for the next 5 miles as we entered the area of town called Sequoyah Hills. This section of the race was challenging, but was also among the most beautiful and well-supported. We ran through neighborhoods, and people lined most of the course to cheer us on. I saw several friends along this section of the course. Around mile five, I picked up the Wildebeest. I was running along, and I kept hearing this terrible grunting, growling, and galloping as we went along. This lady did not seem to be enjoying herself. Every footfall would include "heeeouggaaah, uuuuggghhh, awwwwggghhhh!!!" The steepest hill came during mile 7, and I was able to lose the Wildebeest and catch up with a nice man in a kilt.We crested the hill from hell and there was a huge crowd waiting at the top to cheer us on. One of the cheerleaders was the brewmaster who heads up our Thursday runs. He came out to cheer on everyone from the running group. I loved hearing my name called out as I ran.

For miles 8-10.5, we ran mostly along a greenway. The course also flattened out a bit, but we didn't have nearly as much crowd support. There were bands along the way, and cheerleaders at the aid stations. I felt really good, even after all the hills and I enjoyed being in the woods for a little while. Just after mile 10, we entered a park, and another friend was there to cheer us on and take pictures. Again, hearing someone call out my name and cheer was such a joy.

Here's one of me just past the 10 mile marker, followed by one of Nice Kilted Man.

me

kilted man

Miles 11-12 were the toughest for me mentally. The course heads back to the university campus and Ft. Sanders neighborhood in these miles, which means MORE hills. Mile 11 had a pretty steep climb, and at that point I was ready to be done with the hills. I knew unless I lost a leg or something, I would beat 2 hours, but I told myself to get a move on because I didn't want the gun clock to start with a two, so I kept it moving.

The half and the marathon split just after mile 12, and at that point the end is literally in sight. I could see Neyland Stadium. Of course, there were more hills between me and that 50 yard line finish, but I could see it. As I was running downhill toward the stadium, church bells played. They were the bells from the church where I work. (It was a coincidence since the early service was letting out as I ran through, but I thought it was cool) I made the approach with the church bells and ran up one last freaking hill to get into the stadium and gave a decent kick for the .1 and heard my name announced as I crossed the 50 yard line. I saw 1:57Tight lippedx on the clock and was thrilled to have crushed my time goal on a tough course.

Here is a shot of the finish line.

finish line

The course was tough, but the race was very well organized, and the crowd support was wonderful. Businesses, churches, and homes along the course went out of their way to support the race with cheerleaders, signs, music, and water and food. There were a little over 3000 between the half and the marathon. There was also a 5k. The race had all the perks of a larger event, but none of the headaches. The medal is a Sunsphere which you can turn, and the shirt is a tech shirt commemorating the 10th anniversary of the race.

i will try to add pictures later when I have my husband's computer.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Great job HL on crushing your goal! You are a sub 2 hour runner now! It definitely sounds like a tough course and you prepared well for it. Just think if you had a flat course.... Smile

- Andrew

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Well done, Hobbit Legs. You got your goal with plenty of time to spare. I have also used the Ryan Hall 10 week plan and have had good success with it. As for the hills, I also train on them and have learned to enjoy them. Yes, they hurt, but they pay off big time on race day!  Well done and I'm looking forward to a few pictures. Smile

LRB

From a wildebeest to a man in a kilt, what a contrast.  lol  Very nicely done!  I am sure the thought of  a sub-1:50 has crossed your mind.  If it has not, it should because you are right there.  Just find a flat course and make it happen!

Congrats on a great race!

Pinktastic

Way to go, Hobbit!   You really ran a Pinktacular race, especially on all those hills!    Clearly you trained wisely and it paid off handsomely!   Good luck in your upcoming training!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Docket_Rocket

Great job!  Congrats on the Sub-2!!!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ric-G

great job and the church bells provided some divine inspiration....great prep which paid off big time...congrats!

marathon pr - 3:16

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Nice RR, Hobbit.  Reminded us of our inaugural HM last year in Knoxville.  Sorry we couldn't make it again.  Sequoyah Hills was fun.  Hope the naked cheerleaders were there. Looking forward to your pix.  Congrats!!!

hog4life

Congrats on a great race, and smashing your goal. I am just finishing the RH 10 week plan for my half this coming weekend. I opted for the "long plan" though.

Have you ever done the Santa Hustle in Sevierville?

Nice race, HL!

Dave

outoftheblue

Great race!  The sub-2 is even more impressive with such a hilly course.

Life is good.

SheCan

Congratulations on making your Sub 2 goal!   Sounds like you ran a really smart race, and killed those hills.  Yikes at all the people there!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Great job HL on crushing your goal! You are a sub 2 hour runner now! It definitely sounds like a tough course and you prepared well for it. Just think if you had a flat course.... Smile

Thanks, I am going to look for a flat course to try. All of my races have been hilly, so far. There's a flat 5k I'm eyeing. For a longer race, we'll have to make it a destination spot. I'm ok with that. 

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Well done, Hobbit Legs. You got your goal with plenty of time to spare. I have also used the Ryan Hall 10 week plan and have had good success with it. As for the hills, I also train on them and have learned to enjoy them. Yes, they hurt, but they pay off big time on race day!  Well done and I'm looking forward to a few pictures. Smile

Thank you. I liked the Hall plan and hills come with the territory here, but I'm a lot more confident with them after this training cycle.

HobbitLegs

elevenses

From a wildebeest to a man in a kilt, what a contrast.  lol  Very nicely done!  I am sure the thought of  a sub-1:50 has crossed your mind.  If it has not, it should because you are right there.  Just find a flat course and make it happen!

Congrats on a great race!

Thanks, LRB. There were certainly some characters on the course. I'm looking forward to trying some flat terrain for a change.