Beginners and Beyond

So....Is this ITBS? (Read 97 times)

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Ok in the 18 months I've been running I've managed to be injury free, outside of the normal aches and pains any overweight 43 YO will have coming off the couch, shin splints early on, etc.

Right now I'm in week 9 of the Higdon intermediate HM plan and it's been going fine. But i'm running more miles than I ever have and did my first ever 10 mile run this past Sunday. I built up to this mileage very slowly and I've been pretty careful (I thought)

After my run Sunday the outside of my left knee felt tight and had a pretty sharp burning sensation when I moved it. It went away and I didn't feel it at all yesterday. This morning I did 5 miles on the TM and I felt it again. I ran through it ok and I don't feel it at all walking around right now.

So classic ITBS or am I being paranoid? I plan to start icing it and ride the stationary bike instead of the interval run the plan calls for and see how it goes. Would I be smarter to just take a few days completely off?

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I've had ITBS, and I tried to run through it to an extent it got so severe I was feeling the pain shooting down from my hip to my knee (on the outside) like a very rusty knife was be ripped through my flesh. But I am not experienced enough to tell you whether you have ITBS, Runner's Knee, or an overuse injury coming on. What I can suggest is researching a lot on the internet, and also hopefully someone on here with enough experience can tell you. The advice I was given at the time was to drop back the mileage, and I didn't listen and pushed it to that severity that I told you about, I ended up having to drop back down to 1 mile runs.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

hog4life

I can't offer anything on the ITBS, now PF is a different story. I think Kristin10185 has felt with this, maybe she'll see your thread soon.

I would definitely cut back the miles and start foam rolling.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Foam rolling! Yes, I forgot that one, a very great tool for runners.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I will reserve verdict as well but only to say that my orthopedic surgeon thought that *I* probably had ITB issues when I hurt my knee that took me out for about 3 months.

My pain came when I came in from a run, kicked my shoes off and my left knee hurt like I pulled something.  It was to the outside of my left knee and just below the equator of my knee cap.  Looking down at your foot, I'd have called it the 11 o'clock position.  The pain ran from there downward a couple/few inches on that same 11 o'clock line to about upper or mid-shin but never deviating from that 11 o'clock position.  It also felt like it was just about 1 inch below the surface of my skin.

Now, i'm no doctor but I thought ITB issues were restricted to the area between the hip and the knee ONLY.  I don't know how MY condition could have been ITB related when it *started* below the equator/midline of my knee cap.  (just weird).  Anyway, I don't have the pain anymore but am very aware of exactly where it was so if it happens in the future I'll pursue it aggressively cuz I'd like to know exactly what it is/was cuz my gut tells me that it probably was NOT ITB.  (but again, not a doc)

Randy

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

The IT band runs from from the iliac crest (hip) to down just below the knee on the tibia.  IT band pain can be experienced anywhere along that tract.  Commonly, it seems to be pain in the area of the knee whether that be above, below or right smack on the side.  There are multiple causes ranging from poor flexibility, inadequate strength, running surfaces (e.g. cambered roads) and more.

Could you have IT band pain?  Sure.  You could.  Can anyone here diagnose that as your problem?  No, we can't.  You will need to see either your primary care provider for diagnosis or referral to an orthopedic doctor for further evaluation and diagnosis.

There are a variety of treatments available if this does, in fact, turn out to be IT band related pain.  Physical therapy, foam rolling, flexibility and strengthening are common treatments.  What will work best for you?  Again, you need to consult with your health care provider.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

The IT band runs from from the iliac crest (hip) to down just below the knee on the tibia.  IT band pain can be experienced anywhere along that tract.  Commonly, it seems to be pain in the area of the knee whether that be above, below or right smack on the side.  There are multiple causes ranging from poor flexibility, inadequate strength, running surfaces (e.g. cambered roads) and more.

Could you have IT band pain?  Sure.  You could.  Can anyone here diagnose that as your problem?  No, we can't.  You will need to see either your primary care provider for diagnosis or referral to an orthopedic doctor for further evaluation and diagnosis.

There are a variety of treatments available if this does, in fact, turn out to be IT band related pain.  Physical therapy, foam rolling, flexibility and strengthening are common treatments.  What will work best for you?  Again, you need to consult with your health care provider.

Trust me I'm not trying to use this thread as a replacement for professional medical care. Just wondering what some runners with much more experience than me thought about it. If it doesn't seem any better after a few days of babying it I'll be talking to a professional.

Dad on the run.

Is it worse when running downhill and/or walking down stairs? Mine would hurt much much worse with these two activities.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

onemile

Sounds a lot like the beginnings of when I had it.  Sharp burning sensation outside of my knee. Started in the last few miles of a run.  Felt fine after and completely normal walking.  But then I tried to run again and after a few miles, there it was.  Trying to run through it just made it worse and eventually I couldn't even run a freaking half mile before it started.

Anyway, to answer your question, it sounds pretty classic to me.  Foam rolling is a good start, if you've never done that before.  Resting never helped me (but stopping running before it became painful did ).

LRB

Have you been as diligent with your hip work as you have been with your running?  If not it could be the bodies way of telling you to tighten up those weak hips!

As for what it means big picture, it could simply be fatigue from the increased mileage where rest and shorter runs may fix it.  Or, as IT pain is generally regarded as a symptom and not the actual problem, there could be something else at play (worn shoes, running on cambered surfaces etc.).

I had it, and was able to rectify it without the aid of a foam roller.  But I am in the minority in that regard, as most people swear by the FR!

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Have you been as diligent with your hip work as you have been with your running?  If not it could be the bodies way of telling you to tighten up those weak hips!

As for what it means big picture, it could simply be fatigue from the increased mileage where rest and shorter runs may fix it.  Or, as IT pain is generally regarded as a symptom and not the actual problem, there could be something else at play (worn shoes, running on cambered surfaces etc.).

I had it, and was able to rectify it without the aid of a foam roller.  But I am in the minority in that regard, as most people swear by the FR!

Yeah I have no doubt I need to do strength and flexibility work for my hips. I'll be adding that to my routine. Foam roller for sure and some exercises. I have a congenital defect where my right hip only has 80% normal range of motion. Sounds bad but it's never really given me any issues through a lifetime of playing sports and military training. Of course it's my other leg that's giving me problems right now. I also need to do core work which I am very lazy about doing.

My mileage was about to be cut dramatically anyway because after my HM on Feb. 16 I'm switching to mostly cycling and swimming to get ready for some triathlon fun this summer. So if I can just get through the next few weeks I should be able to rest it up.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I believe you also mentioned being lazy on core work. You have to strengthen that core.

The core stabilizes your hips.  Not that hip work doesn't need attention, but a strong core will go a long way to taking the stresses off weaker hips, which in turn keeps your legs/ knees more stable.

Since you hate core work (and most do) may I suggest one simple trick:

While you run imagine pulling your belly button to your spine. (dont suck in your belly, just tighten it and pull it back).  This will go a long way to strengthening your core and giving your hips more stability. (as well as keeping you from slouching as you run among many other things)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I can't offer anything on the ITBS, now PF is a different story. I think Kristin10185 has felt with this, maybe she'll see your thread soon.

I would definitely cut back the miles and start foam rolling.

Hi I'm here Smile

Yes....ugh....ITBS did a number on me this time last year. I finally took a month off running to deal with it, because my runs were short and miserable and caused like 2 days of pain after so it wasn't worth it anymore. In my month off I did a LOT of hip exercises. I combined these 2 routines:

Myrtl Hip Girdle Routine

Strength Running ITB Rehab Routine

I did a ton of foam rolling. Got a deep tissue massage. Did lots of yoga. Then incorporated running back slowly. I kept it at bay pretty well but it did rear its ugly head a few times between February and May. If it ever hurt while running I would stop IMMEDIATELY and walk home, and then ice the area when I got home and take an extra rest day.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Thanks Kristin I'll check out those out. Strength and core training are definitely on the agenda for the next few months.

LRB

The core stabilizes your hips.  Not that hip work doesn't need attention, but a strong core will go a long way to taking the stresses off weaker hips, which in turn keeps your legs/ knees more stable.

All true.  I am actually working on my core for the first time ever this off-season.  It is extremely mundane, but of utmost importance for my injury-prone ass.