Beginners and Beyond

Hottest Half 10k RR (Read 51 times)

PADRunner

Just the basics, I'm not much of a writer...

I chose this race because they give out medals for the 10k finishers. Smile I didn't think I'd ever run a Half or Full and I wanted a %^^& medal so I could buy a rack to hang it on.

Got Bling

This was my first 10k and my goals for the race were pretty simple.
    1. Don't Die
    2. Finish
    3. Maybe sub 1:20:00

I didn't die, I finished, and in 1:15:04 3 for 3!

Start of the race was at 7:40, 80 degrees and 80% humidity. Maybe 85 at the finish.
    I had planned on a 12:30 pace but ended up with:
    1.11:21
    2.11:36
    3.11:43
    4.12:07
    5.:11:55
    6.13:15
    .2 11:22
    I walked a little at the water station just before mile 5 and just couldn't get back into it.

Not bad for an old man with PAD I guess.

Saw this sign after the race I thought was amusing.

Any suggestions on a Half training plane for dedicated penguin? I'm thinking about a Half in March.Big grin

Hip Redux

Pancakes are certainly good motivation. Big grin

Great job - and that bling is pretty cool!

Docket_Rocket

Great job!  Love the medal.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

I love pancakes. Nice bling, congrats.

delicate flower

Nice job!  That's a cool medal.  I like the sign.  I usually go with the French toast but I ain't fussy.  Smile

<3

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

That is a cool medal! Sometimes RRs don't need many words and you write just fine.  I'm bad at acronyms; what is PAD?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your 10K!  1:15 is great, especially with what you are dealing with!

Jack:  I believe PAD is Peripheral Artery Disease.  I may be mistaken.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jess runs for bacon

Pancakes! I mean, awesome job! Don't blame you on the bling, I love it too!

PADRunner

That's correct. I've got stents but my glutes are still a pain in the butt.

Congrats on your 10K!  1:15 is great, especially with what you are dealing with!

Jack:  I believe PAD is Peripheral Artery Disease.  I may be mistaken.

Will run for scenery.

I was guessing Pancake Addiction Disorder Big grin

Nice job and cool medal to boot  !

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Believe it or not, I can attest to actually having thought about the pancakes I gorged on in the middle of my 10K yesterday!

Motivation, smotivation.......whatever works.  I enjoyed those pancakes to the fullest!  That's for sure! Big grin

Congrats on the hardware!

Randy

LRB

Just the basics, I'm not much of a writer...

Really?  That was rather cool!

Regarding a half marathon plan, you already know more about running than I did when I ran mine!

Good stuff man, very inspiring.  Congrats on running your longest distance...for now.  ; )

Great job, sir.

Pancakes and Pad Thai sound great, post LR.

Cool medal too, congrats.

Antipodean

Great job at smashing your goal.

As for halfs, I can't recommend a plan, but would recommend starting now to slowly increase your mileage. My first half is at the end of September and I started increasing at the start of the year. But there's always something getting in the way so I'm glad I started so early. Yesterday I ran 11.5 miles and still have a couple more long runs before I taper.

Anyway, great race and good luck with your future running.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Good job. It was rather warm out there today.

I do believe I saw you walking around after, but I was recovering from running the HM and trying to cool down.

Congrats!